Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mg81
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Weller WESD51.jpg
    image-763.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Any suggestions....this would be my first one. I'm not looking for the el-cheapo or the Bugatti of soldering kits.. Just something that is good..that will last and will make my soldering work alot easier.

Secondly is there an ideal tempature to work on specific areas of the pinball... like soldering a wire to the coil lugs versus soldering a new rom set?

Thanks

#3 10 years ago

I like my Hakko FX-888 Soldering Station. Got it from Amazon and it replaced an el-cheapo Radioshack soldering gun.

#4 10 years ago

usually somebody has a group buy price on pinside for the hakko fx 888

#5 10 years ago

Hakko Weller or Pace all worth a look

#7 10 years ago

I bought one in Allentown and is amazing. Not sure of the company but I'll buy
    another if I ever find out who they were.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

usually somebody has a group buy price on pinside for the hakko fx 888

I agree the Hakko fx-888 is hard to beat. B+D Enterprise sometimes has a group buy (http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hakko-fx888d-digital-soldering-station-group-buy#post-998332). PM them to see if they can hook you up!

#9 10 years ago

I love mine

★4 IN 1 X-TRONIC 9020-XTS HOT AIR REWORK SOLDERING IRON STATION FUME EXTRACTOR★
    ebay.com link: link

#10 10 years ago

I haven't used the Hakko, but own one of these and highly recommend. The JBC AD2700. If you can get one used they're not that bad, but still pricey. Mine was $200. New models from JBC are $399.

Read up on the features before you buy another station. It's that good.

image-763.jpgimage-763.jpg
    #11 10 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

Hakko Weller or Pace all worth a look

+1 on the Pace units. You can find them on eBay. They were used in many military repair shops and are built like everything else for the military. I have a PPS-100. Works great!

#12 10 years ago

I have a cheapo brand, I got it free. It was inside a Teed-Off pin I purchased cheap that wasn't working, including bulbs, rubbers, balls, flipper repair kit and other cheap tools. TO didn't cost me a cent to fix, it just needed some soldering work. The former owner never looked inside the pin. The pin came from TNT Amusements like ten years ago. I guess Todd includes a repair kit with purchase of every pin. Anyway, I been using it with no problems. Thanks Todd!

#13 10 years ago

Search Ebay Soldering station 936 and Soldering station 937 ( 937 is digital Temp )

Hakko copies and excellent soldering stations for $40 to $50 with shipping . You can purchase spare parts easily on ebay ceramic heating elements ect . No need to pay big $$$ we use these all the time and they are great .

#14 10 years ago

Any of the Weller analog solder stations will serve your needs well. Tips are easy to find, a well respected brand that will work great for any home level repair you need to do.

Heats up fast. Great for board work, I use it for that a lot. I use a regular soldering iron (pencil type, not the gun type) for under playfield work just because they are move convenient. A good one of those can be had for $20 or less.

Here is the one I purchased. About $90 on Amazon currently.

Weller WES51 Analog Soldering Station

#15 10 years ago

Can't really go wrong with any of the soldering station suggestions provided. Just a matter of money and personal preferences.

In regards to temperature, I use 600-650 on boards and will go higher if needed (maybe 700) for under playfield work. Temperature management (how much temperature for how long) is equally, if not more important. Properly clean (and flux if needed) the area and start out at 700. As you get better you'll be able to drop the temperature.

#16 10 years ago

I use a pace station.

#17 10 years ago

+1 on the Hakko 888. And if you are going to do any de-soldering, get the 808. I am very much an amateur, but I can de-solder like a pro with the 808.

Chris

#18 10 years ago

I got the aoyue int701a++ solder/desoldering workstation from amazon a while back. Its great.

Around $200 after shipping if i remember correctly.

#19 10 years ago

I've been using a`Weller WESD51 for the past couple years. Couldn't be happier ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ARU9PO/ref=wms_ohs_product

Weller WESD51.jpgWeller WESD51.jpg
    #20 10 years ago

Though I don't think the OP asked about desoldering tools, but I see several people chiming in with various recommendations.

While the fancy desoldering tools are very nice. I would highly encourage someone starting to get and try a simple solder sucker pen like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Solder-Sucker--desoldering/dp/B0002KRAAG/ref=sr_1_1

There are a bunch makers of them. They all seem pretty interchangeable, but I have had my best luck with the metal bodied ones like in the above link.

They are so cheap you can't go wrong with trying one. The best thing about them is they don't need to be plugged in or heat up. No maintenance and if they go bad just buy a new one. I try to keep a spare on hand.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-workstations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.