(Topic ID: 207417)

Soldering to Stern GI Socket; Plz Help

By Jason_Jehosaphat

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Socket.CU (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hi.

I would like to connect a simple accent light from Pinball Life to a GI socket on my TWD.

There are plenty of sockets within reach but each has limited access in terms of a bare perch to solder a new lead. On any given socket, one factory lead is soldered to the socket with *no* heat shrink. Great. There is space there to solder another lead. But the other factory lead on any given socket is insulated with a short section of black heat-shrink. It makes that side of the socket unavailable to a new lead. What do I do? Shave away some of the black heat shrink to expose the terminal? Here's a pic.

Now, if I'm going about this all wrong and I should be looking for other sites to connect my light's leads, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Socket.CU (resized).jpgSocket.CU (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Pull the heat shrink back, it’s not really needed anyway.

#3 6 years ago

The heat shrink is shrunken.

I.e., it can't be pulled back.

Still, I removed the socket and turned it upside down, exposing places where I could solder. So, the leads are soldered and the accent lights are done!

Thanks for your suggestion, Ler.

Jason

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-to-stern-gi-socket-plz-help?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.