6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by HD_Fatboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi All,

I have a very dumb question, The cleaning sponge that comes with a soldering station, should this sponge be wet?
    And how often do you use it to clean your tip?

#2 6 years ago

Yep get it wet. You can clean it a lot, when going from 1 pin to the next (or whatever you're soldering), or at the end of the job. I don't overly clean mine during the process and my tip is fine. Just make sure to clean it at the end with the umm...what the hell do you call that metal stuff?

#3 6 years ago

Yes, the sponge should be wet. I actually clean my tip quite a bit. Crud and excess solder builds up fairly quickly. Once you start to use the soldering station, you will get a feel as to when the tip needs cleaning. The tip will stop to conduct heat well, and there will be black buildup on it.

#4 6 years ago

Not wet, damp. You clean the tip when it builds up with solder. Could be after a few solder pads are done.

I don't use a sponge but rather the brass steel wool looking stuff. Cleans better and doesn't dip the temperature of the iron.

#5 6 years ago

<blockquote cite="#4193715"Just make sure to clean it at the end with the umm...what the hell do you call that metal stuff?

Quoted from schudel5:

...but rather the brass steel wool looking stuff.

Ah there it is

#6 6 years ago

Thanks all for the very fast responses, I did order the brass steel wool looking stuff, but it did not come yet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-station-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.