8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RunninMan01
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I am a newbie and have never soldered before and am looking for a little help from the experts. I discovered a cracked solder joint that has come apart and now want to resolder the wires to the lug (which is under the playfield and connects to the extra ball target). My question is what is the best way to do this, I have read some tutorials and understand the basics of soldering, which doesn't seem too complex. In order to do this work under the playfield, I can only assume that I would turn the machine off and lift the playfield up vertically. Please let me know if this is the best way, I don't want to burn myself or let solder drip on any components below. Any advice is appreciated. Thx in advance.

#2 8 years ago

you want to protect anything that is below,
    sometimes you can use a wide piece of masking tape to make a concave shelf directly under the coil. also newspaper or cardboard to cover the older EMs relay board - if you ever work on them.

#3 8 years ago

Thx Much

#4 8 years ago

I use a small towel below whatever I am working on

#5 8 years ago

Lift the PF so that you can get to it easily. Put something in the cabinet, and if necessary, under the PF to catch or deflect loose solder bits. Warm up Soldering Iron completely. Try not to touch other wires, remove other parts if too crowded. Press the wire against the lug with the SIDE of the iron's tip. Not like a pen. Add the solder to the wire and lug. Remove the solder. Slowly remove the iron. I lift up the iron so the very tip is still pressing against the wire. This allows the solder to cool while still applying pressure to the wire so it won't come off the lug while the solder is still molten.

#6 8 years ago

I always take off the old solder with a solder sucker or solder wick and then make sure the surface is clean and then apply some nice fresh solder to the joint.

If you search for soldering tutorials you will find some good ones on the web.

1 week later
    #7 8 years ago

It may be too late for you, but practice on something that is comfortable and make sure you dont drop solder on connection. I like small iron like a pencil but that is up to you. Try and get a good mechanical connection before you solder. One of my friends used to work on boards at music store and he taught me how to solder correctly. I used to just put solder on iron and drip onto wires. You want the wire to pull solder through by heating wire on one side and touching solder to wire or lug.....not solder to the wire. Be sure and use the correct solder.

#8 8 years ago

I lay a piece of plywood inside the cabinet to protect things then use a pair of hemostats to lock onto the wires to hold them in place, then solder etc...

#9 8 years ago

Be sure to get a nice high heat (800 degree) iron with a good sized tip for working on pinball machines. Can't add more to the advice given above.

#10 8 years ago

Here is a you tube video that is great for beginning. It is what I watched when I did my first job and it helped greatly. Hope it helps you as well.

#11 8 years ago

^That's a great video, thanks for sharing.

#12 8 years ago

Elburroloco, no problem glad you found it useful!

1 year later
    #13 6 years ago

Agreed. Awesome video!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 214.99
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside