Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by henrydwh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1457909258738_(resized).jpg
    lead-msds_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Does any one move them pins to the garage to do any solder work? I have read some where it's safe and not a problem then some other things where it's not so safe. I was wanting opinions from both side. Have two small kids and don't want to risk any damage to there wee little brains!!! I know it's the fluxe burning off but does any of the lead as well.

#2 8 years ago

Safe is a subjective term. How safe do you want to be? I solder multiple times a week at work in a room with several people all soldering for hours weekly and the smoke isn't even noticeable.

For your typical home user my concern is zero from solder risk. Don't have the kids hold the solder for you while you're working is about the only precaution I would take.

#3 8 years ago

The flux is all that gets airborne. With kids around the only thing I would be worried about is them getting burned by picking up the soldering iron from the wrong end.

#4 8 years ago

That would be a lot of moving.

#5 8 years ago

I make my kids put plastic bags over their heads while I solder. Safety First!

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

I know it's the fluxe burning off but does any of the lead as well.

Of course you should be as careful as you reasonably can (don't eat while soldering.....), the vapor you see and smell is the flux.

Your soldering iron is never going to get hot enough to boil lead:

lead-msds_(resized).jpglead-msds_(resized).jpg

#7 8 years ago

So most of the concern is just with handling the solder?

#8 8 years ago

Fumes and any spitting of the hot solder are an issue. Safety Glass are recommended. Use a non flammable surface to solder on. Wash your hands afterward. Some web sites recommend gloves, but still wash hands afterward.

If you are just reconnecting 1 wire in your home you should be fine. Doing board work or soldering switch stack ends, then a space were there is good ventilation should be considered. Setting up a fan to draw away fumes to the outside of your home, would even be better.

My favorite soldering suggestion. "Do not glance up to the TV when reaching for the soldering iron". Live and Learn my friends.

#9 8 years ago

.. Wow.

According to everyone here, I live dangerously. Whohoo!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

.. Wow.
    According to everyone here, I live dangerously. Whohoo!

Don't use your mouth to hold the solder when you just happen to need 3 hands.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

So most of the concern is just with handling the solder?

The solder, the components and the circuit boards all normally contain lead.

The "pine" smell and smoke when you solder is wood rosin from pine trees. Some people are allergic to it, but obviously, violinist are exposed to it every day of their lives and often look like they have been around for 100 years...

#12 8 years ago

hahahahah lol keep quiet before we have Obama banning solder. What would we pinheads do then? LMFAO

#13 8 years ago

Leaded solder is banned in Europe, California, and various other places, but that's for environmental reasons not direct health problems.
    The solder on modern pins, and most solder you find at the store should already be lead-free.

Even if you're using the old stuff, I wouldn't worry about breathing it. It's not going to go airborne. Keep it out of your mouth, wash your hands, and you'll be fine.

...But I *REALLY* don't recommend using old-fashioned leaded solder in a house with little kids. Here's why : You're going to screw up. You're going to trim a wire and lose it. Bits of solder will wind up on the floor or under the couch. If your kids are still in the put-everything-in-their-mouth stage, this is bad. Like leaving some lead paint flakes laying around.

Get a spool of the lead-free stuff, and a soldering iron hot enough to melt it properly.

#14 8 years ago

The lead free stuff isnt as easy to work with

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

Get a spool of the lead-free stuff, and a soldering iron hot enough to melt it properly.

Screw that! I say buy enough good old leaded solder to last two lifetimes before the nanny state makes it illegal.

#16 8 years ago

Yeah, it's a trickier, mostly because you've got to get it hotter than the old fashioned stuff, so you'll need a more powerful soldering iron that you used to need.

I keep a spool of the old stuff for when I have to use my cordless soldering iron. I don't worry about it because I don't have kids, but I'd be uncomfortable using that stuff where toddlers could get at the work area.

#17 8 years ago

Do exactly what she's doing and make sure to wear your safety glasses.

FB_IMG_1457909258738_(resized).jpgFB_IMG_1457909258738_(resized).jpg

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Do exactly what she's doing and make sure to wear your safety glasses.

FB_IMG_1457909258738_(resized).jpg

LOL! I can smell burning fingers just looking at that picture!

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

Yeah, it's a trickier, mostly because you've got to get it hotter than the old fashioned stuff, so you'll need a more powerful soldering iron that you used to need.
    I keep a spool of the old stuff for when I have to use my cordless soldering iron. I don't worry about it because I don't have kids, but I'd be uncomfortable using that stuff where toddlers could get at the work area.

Those old 30-year-old PCBs tend not to like excess heat too much...

#20 8 years ago

Like Vid pointed out, you have to vaporize the lead for it to become dangerous. What you smell is an irritant, not a hazard. Don't eat or smoke while doing it and wash your hands when you are done.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Do exactly what she's doing

You know, I did that once. She's a lot more calm about it than I was.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

You know, I did that once. She's a lot more calm about it than I was.

LMAO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-in-house?hl=aplundell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.