Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Budman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wiring9 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Can anyone recommend a good soldering how to? I am getting started on upgrading coils and switches for my bumpers, flippers and slingers. Any help would be appreciated.

Tim in SC

#3 4 years ago

Coils and switches rarely need to be "upgraded". What issues are you having?

#4 4 years ago

Search YT. That's how I learned.

and valid point ^^^^.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

Coils and switches rarely need to be "upgraded". What issues are you having?

One of the Pop bumpers didn't even have a coil when I raised the PF. They were very weak and I wanted to go new and just replace the items that I could. I found one of the flippers had been "jack-bagged" with a piece of popsicle stick for the linkage. I'll feel better when I play it knowing that it has a good tune-up!

Tim

Wiring9 (resized).jpgWiring9 (resized).jpg
    #6 4 years ago

More important to replace the coil sleeve vs. the coil itself - the coils are fine 99% of the time. If you have brass/metal sleeves in the coils replace with nylon type, and clean everything really well. Some really worn parts might need replacement, but that's kind of rare, as well.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Slickfam99:

I found one of the flippers had been "jack-bagged" with a piece of popsicle stick for the linkage.

Somebody has fond memories of that popsicle stick!! Def replace all that stuff; having the right parts in necessary, not an upgrade.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Slickfam99:

Can anyone recommend a good soldering how to? I am getting started on upgrading coils and switches for my bumpers, flippers and slingers. Any help would be appreciated.
    Tim in SC

I learned from doing one of these kits,I'm not great but I'm better than I was. https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Practical-Soldering-Project-Kit/dp/B0002LUAL6 Just check around for a better price, I didn't pay that much for mine

#9 4 years ago

Definitely get new flipper plungers and links! Soldering is pretty fun. Practice is necessary!

#10 3 years ago

This thread is actually quite epic. As far as I can tell, you have coined the term “jack-bagged”. That is an awesome word and I plan to use it whenever I find a repair that was done using a flimsy piece of throwaway trash to hold things tougher, such as a popsicle stick.

#11 3 years ago

#12 3 years ago

Duplicate post oops

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Duplicate post oops

Man, you sure jackbagged this thread with those posts, xsv

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigdog50:

Man, you sure jackbagged this thread with those posts, xsv

I did, right?! EXCELLENT. I was working from the iPad, and that damn thing jack-bagged the shit out of me when I was working on my post.

#15 3 years ago

That word sounds like something you were told not to do during puberty.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-how-to?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.