Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

iron (resized).jpg
weller (resized).jpg
s-l500 (resized).jpg
Soldering nono (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello, I am about to attempt to do a pf swap. I have done a couple recently and I always replace the lamp sockets and ground wire. I currently use a Wen 199 quick hot soldering gun. It does an excellent job of soldering the ground wire on new sockets. Problem is those soldering irons were made in the 60s IIRC and getting tips for them is impossible. I am looking for soldering gun or iron suggestions for getting solder to stick to the socket, and getting the ground wire to stick to the socket base and stay attached.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !! TIA

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from out_of_order:

...I am looking for soldering gun or iron suggestions for getting solder to stick to the socket, and getting the ground wire to stick to the socket base and stay attached.

1. Have you looked into Yoppsicles for inserts? Done a couple Classic Stern & Bally and great stuff and easier & better (IMO) than sockets. Might be cheaper these days.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-/page/6#post-7014726
2. Hakko makes a great station like https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=sr_1_2
3. That's NOT the ground wire

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for your reply.
1. Yes, i have some of the yoppsicles. I do use them for some lamps, but I try to keep the older games on incadescent 44 sockets.
2. Does the Hakko get hot enough for the solder to stick good to the sockets ?
3. True, but I use ground wire for that.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks for your reply.
1. Yes, i have some of the yoppsicles. I do use them for some lamps, but I try to keep the older games on incadescent 44 sockets.
3. True, but I use ground wire for that.

Hakko has programmable temperature and the temperature will stay very steady. Just make sure not to solder like the lady from the AT&T commercials.

Soldering nono (resized).jpgSoldering nono (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

For sure. You can crank up the hot on it too.

#7 1 year ago

I second the Hakko reco. Definitely gets hot enough but you may need a larger tip to get more heat in. Worked great on the sockets I soldered in for my Flash Gordon resto.

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=asc_df_B00ANZRT4M/

Here is link for the tip set I bought too

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013WII72Y

#8 1 year ago

I really like the Milwaukee M12 cordless soldering iron. Heats up quickly and with the paddle tip it easily solders sockets and coils on a PF swap. Pick up a 6.0ah knock off battery from eBay for $20+ and it will then stand up nicely.

s-l500 (resized).jpgs-l500 (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago

Probably the best iron you can get for the money. Tips last forever.

Weller WE1010NA Digital Soldering Station
weller (resized).jpgweller (resized).jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WE1010NA-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B077JDGY1J/ref=sr_1_5

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I really like the Milwaukee M12 cordless soldering iron. Heats up quickly and with the paddle tip it easily solders sockets and coils on a PF swap. Pick up a 6.0ah knock off battery from eBay for $20+ and it will then stand up nicely. [quoted image]

What he said!

I use this 90% of the time when doing playfield swaps. Portable and perfect for rotisserie work. Definitely want the larger battery for stability as well as battery life. Using the little 2.0 battery you can knock over the gun very easily.

I also have a hakko fx888d for board and sit down work. Highly recommend.

#11 1 year ago

The Hakko FX888D is hands down a fantastic soldering iron. Used mine for 7 to 8 years, and I refuse to use anything else. It...just...works!

#12 1 year ago

Nothing but good things to say about Hakko as well. Have the Hakko FX-888D, couldn't be happier. https://www.amazon.com/T18-D08-D12-D24-D32-S3/dp/B00C1N30DI/ref=sr_1_2

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I really like the Milwaukee M12 cordless soldering iron. Heats up quickly and with the paddle tip it easily solders sockets and coils on a PF swap. Pick up a 6.0ah knock off battery from eBay for $20+ and it will then stand up nicely. [quoted image]

This is what I use for working on machines where they set. For everything else or when a pin is in the shop I use a hakko

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

What he said!
I use this 90% of the time when doing playfield swaps. Portable and perfect for rotisserie work. Definitely want the larger battery for stability as well as battery life. Using the little 2.0 battery you can knock over the gun very easily.
I also have a hakko fx888d for board and sit down work. Highly recommend.

All the soldering station suggestions are good. However, the OP isn't doing board work, he's doing PF swaps which from my experience requires mobility when flipping a PF around. Plus, board word is delicate, laying the solder to lamp sockets and coils is a job for a paddle tip. I'll take a cordless soldering iron over a soldering station doing a PF swap.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Probably the best iron you can get for the money. Tips last forever.
Weller WE1010NA Digital Soldering Station
[quoted image]
amazon.com link »

Here a lot about Hakko soldering gear. Now I love their desoldering tool. Love it. I threw the soldering station away and bout one of these. The Weller is the best that I personally have used.

#17 1 year ago

You're missing the point about a PF swap. If your PF rotisserie is different than most people have, having a set station as opposed to a cordless tool is easier. I'm sure you could figure out a way to plant that near your work on a rotisserie, but ease of use is my point. I can set my cordless Milwaukee to the side while switching from bottom soldering to flipping the PF over to finish a task top side. When reattaching a pile of wires to a PF the last thing I want is a power cord in the way. For me, just easier and it's very efficient.

#18 1 year ago

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions. On the Hakko, what temp have you found to work good for light sockets ? Or are their tips to get the solder to stick to the base ?

#19 1 year ago

Or are their tips to get the solder to stick to the base ?

Rough up the surface with a bit of sandpaper.

Also I found that radioshack's 'crystal clear' flux solder worked a lot better. No idea what the formulation on it was though, I bought many rolls of it when RS stores went out.

The sockets need to be clean for solder to stick.

You do need a lot of heat too, that helps a lot. When doing new sockets I use my weller 100w gun, put the bare wire where I want it, use the gun tip to heat up the wire and socket, apply solder, then I take a flat blade screwdriver to hold the joint in place while I remove the iron until it solidifies. It's pretty fast, less than 20 seconds per socket.

#20 1 year ago

My Milwaukee soldering iron.

iron (resized).jpgiron (resized).jpg
#21 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

You're missing the point about a PF swap. If your PF rotisserie is different than most people have, having a set station as opposed to a cordless tool is easier. I'm sure you could figure out a way to plant that near your work on a rotisserie, but ease of use is my point. I can set my cordless Milwaukee to the side while switching from bottom soldering to flipping the PF over to finish a task top side. When reattaching a pile of wires to a PF the last thing I want is a power cord in the way. For me, just easier and it's very efficient.

I've done swaps and the Hakko has worked fine. You mentioned a cordless one so I answered with a suggestion. And I don't use a rotisserie so (shrug)

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

I've done swaps and the Hakko has worked fine. You mentioned a cordless one so I answered with a suggestion. And I don't use a rotisserie so (shrug)

I use both

#23 1 year ago

https://hakkousa.com/808-desoldering-tool.html

My goto for soldering and desoldering. it does everything and has been solid for over 10 years now. B+D used to do good-deal group buys on these. I also have the FX-888 for board work. The consumables are available at Home Depot and they are dependable as all get out. The 888 is great for board work but I am super impatient when it comes to 18AWG wire and light sockets and solenoids. 808 for the win plus it rectifies any and all mistakes.

Shawn

#24 1 year ago

On your Johnny Mnemonic????

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

On your Johnny Mnemonic????

Mainly my Catacomb. Although When I switched to yoppsicles on other machines I just used my usual 60W Weller corded.

Johnny Mnuemonic I use in the bathroom to funnel my piss towards the toilet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 125.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-gun-iron-suggestions-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.