Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pv1.jpg
    pv2.jpg
    PanaVise 324.jpg
    81KFtqdaN7L._SL1500_.jpg
    pace mbt100e.jpg
    weller.jpg
    pace mbt 201.jpg
    pace prc2000.jpg
    werkbank jbc.jpg
    Capture1.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    Metcal.JPG
    image.jpg
    20150306_203405.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yonkiman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

I just bought a sweet 30 watt setup at the local radio shack closeout for $5.

20150306_203405.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Wow - that looks like the exact soldering iron kit I used to launch my electronics hobby (and later electrical engineering career) 41 years ago! I guess some things really do never change...

That said, it's a pretty crappy iron (though it's still a lot better than the massive soldering gun some people try to use). I'd get one of the soldering stations mentioned above if I was going to do a lot of soldering. Better tips, better temp control, better grip, less interference from power cord, etc.

I've always preferred the high temp ranges - get in and out quickly. But mid-low is probably better for pinball - it's too easy to melt the plastic on a coil lug if you have to spend more time than you expected heating it.

Heat the two (or more) elements you're trying to solder together, apply the solder to those elements, NOT the soldering iron* (you want to make sure the wires/pads are hot enough to melt the solder), and then pull the soldering iron away and make sure the elements being soldered don't move while they're cooling - that's 99% of good soldering.

*after you get good you can cheat on this part.

If you can, practice on some wires/junk pcbs before you work on your machines. Good luck and have fun!

Fred

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from HighSpeed1:

Since I went to Radio Shack this morning to buy 4 of the component drawer cabinets with base cart that everyone is going crazy over, I decided to grab these just because, since they were half off.

That's a pretty good deal!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yonkiman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-equipment?tu=yonkiman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.