Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dr_nybble
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

diode (resized).png
    diode.pdf (PDF preview)
    #1 5 years ago

So I bought a bunch of DB3 microswitches and diodes. Can someone give me some tips on how to bend the leads to prep for soldering?

I believe I should be passing the leads through the holes on the terminals to help secure the diode. What is the best way to do it? Or is it actually helpful?

I tried a few times and the best I came up with was to create a sort of "omega" shape: Ω

I passed the ends of the leads from the inside of the terminals to the outside and then bent them up with needlenose pliers.

Want to find out the best way to do it without mangling the diode leads!

#2 5 years ago

I stole this from High_End_Pins
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/24#post-4689438 (Second picture in the post)

For me it is the easiest and fastest way to do this.

#3 5 years ago

I use needle-nose pliers. Bend the leads of the diode at 90 degree angles so the distance between leads is the distance of the outside switch legs. Then bend the leads 90 degrees out away from each other. I squeeze the leads to get them to go through the eyelets and bend back out. Then bend up to hook the eyelet and trim if necessary.

diode.pdfdiode.pdf
    #4 5 years ago

Excellent illustration, thanks! Think I need to buy some finer needle-nose pliers.

I looked at some of the NASA guidelines, this seems like the right way although they are particular about the looped lead not extending beyond the terminal.

#5 5 years ago

My father always said that you start with a good mechanical connection and then you add solder.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I use needle-nose pliers. Bend the leads of the diode at 90 degree angles so the distance between leads is the distance of the outside switch legs. Then bend the leads 90 degrees out away from each other. I squeeze the leads to get them to go through the eyelets and bend back out. Then bend up to hook the eyelet and trim if necessary.

You have the silver band end of the diode on the wrong end of the switch in your drawing.

LTG : )

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You have the silver band end of the diode on the wrong end of the switch in your drawing.
    LTG : )

Sorry. Those were the ones I bought from Bryan Kelly.

I updated the image. Thanks.

#9 5 years ago

Laliva Plugs - 1pc 136mm Lead Benders Carbon Compos Resistor Diode Axial Capacitor Forming Tooling - (Standard: Bender, Color: Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2XFJJD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_skLnCbVH6Q6GW

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Sorry. Those were the ones I bought from Bryan Kelly.
    I updated the image. Thanks.

I heard that, asshole!

#11 5 years ago

I had a friend 3D print me one of those and I didn't like using it. I can make those first bends quicker with a small needle nose. I also make a second bend with a different needle nose to shorten the leads because I don't like the diode sitting up that high.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

My father always said that you start with a good mechanical connection and then you add solder.

Praise the Lord! Hallelujah! You are a disciple of proper soderig techniques. Your father speaks the truth!

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I heard that, asshole!

Damn! Did I say that out loud!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Praise the Lord! Hallelujah! You are a disciple of proper soderig techniques. Your father speaks the truth!

He is Army trained and took this stuff very seriously...

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

He is Army trained and took this stuff very seriously...

Well, I did not, but every electronics course and soldering class taught me that. The reason behind it is electrical soldering, unlike silver soldering, or welding, has no mechanical strength. This becomes even more important if there are mechanical stresses such as vibtation present, and this is very true in pinball machines.

#16 5 years ago

I have settled on this style of bending:

diode (resized).pngdiode (resized).png

This allows me to easily slide the diode onto the contacts without deforming it. I then bend them up and snip the leads to the top of the terminal.

Got them from here: https://www.alliedelec.com/zf-electronics-db3c-b1aa/70207508/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-diode-to-microswitch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.