(Topic ID: 252162)

Soldering - connect above and below a board

By jimy_speedt

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4D66A7BD-DA57-4C89-8ABF-98D462067E01 (resized).jpeg
    FAA73D9C-C256-48B1-A351-8177D44BB504 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider md_pinball_dude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 4 years ago

The holes are called "VIAS" and they do interconnect the tops and bottoms AND the middles (if you have multi-layer boards) If you have a connector where the pins pass all the way through the board and out the other side, then the pins will carry the load to the opposite side - but you have to use a lot of solder to fill up around the pins to get from the one side to the other and let it all heat up or you will not make a good connection. From what I see, the pad under the "I" of INPUT looks pretty bad. I don't envy the work ahead of you. You could use direct jumpers but I assume you have a connector that is supposed to go here?

For what it is worth, I have done this kind of work for over 30+ years.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Thank you for all the answers, the hole in front of the I has lost half of the ring. I put a copper adhesive tape.
    I have tried to make the solder flow through the board without success. Maybe making it more fluid as you say ?

Honestly, unless you have done this before, I highly recommend you not attempt this repair. You can wreck this board in a heartbeat if you overheat the pads. Do you know anyone good with a soldering iron and is skilled in this kind of repair?

#9 4 years ago

Can you show me what the back side of this connection looks like? I may be able to walk you through a repair.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

A good clean stitch is barely noticable and a proper repair.
    The solder covers it up.
    You have to use 63/37 solder and a bit of good flux.
    Clean off all solder and flux before you start the repair.
    Keep your temperatures very low.
    Just high enough to melt the solder properly.
    If the flux is turning black, you are too hot.
    Clean the area with isopropyl alcohol before you begin the work.
    A good clean surface yields the best result.

A stitch is probably your best solution. You are in luck as this looks like a two-layer board (Top and Bottom copper only). You may need to scrape off some of the green coating leading away from the pads if you suspect they are bad and solder a wire over to a good, clean part of the copper trace. Good luck. It is possible.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider md_pinball_dude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-connect-above-and-below-a-board-?tu=md_pinball_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.