Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PjM
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TZ_page_3-37.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Does it matter wire location when re-image.jpegimage.jpegsoldering coils ?

#2 3 years ago

Yes.

#3 3 years ago

How can you tell? Power/return?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from PjM:

How can you tell? Power/return?

Schematic, manual.

LTG : )™

#5 3 years ago

Good idea, too bad I don't understand it but I will learn how to read it correctly quick and in a hurry!

#6 3 years ago

You didn't say what pin your working on, but in pic 1 if it was wired correctly than the grey/yellow wire is the power becuase it it connected to the terminal with two windings.

In pic 2 the purple/orange is the power wire because there is two of them and they are thicker then the ground wire.

#7 3 years ago

I am doing a TZ. Around 16 coils in all. The pics were just reference. I understand the wires. I am not sure if it mattered on the coil what tab to solder on - right, left or middle or as long as there is one on each.

#8 3 years ago

If the coil needs a diode then it does matter. The power wire is always on the side with the diode band. If the diodes are board mounted, then the wires can go on either direction.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from PjM:

Around 16 coils in all

The flippercoils to help you with the first 4.
TZ page 3-37.jpg

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from PjM:

I am doing a TZ.

Flipper coils it matters. Other coils don't have a diode on them so it doesn't matter.

LTG : )™

#11 3 years ago

Thank you very much all of you. This helps me considerably.

1 week later
#12 3 years ago

BTW, use clip on heatsinks when soldering wire connections and particularly coils in general.
Clean the lug holes and get a good wrap hook with the wires through the holes.
It prevents damage to the windings, lugs, and diodes and makes soldering faster and easier.

Wondering why a coil locks on, will not hold power, does not work or burning up a new coil diodes will make you upset and you will have to do work all over again...

#13 3 years ago

Thanks, I will make sure I do this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 14.95
Machine - For Sale
Madison, AL
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside