(Topic ID: 59231)

Soldering and Desoldering skills

By mof

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I *REALLY* want to sharpen up my skills in soldering and desoldering.
    Can you point me to your favorite online resources?
    I find a lot of "ok" videos on youtube where people with a lot of experience just wing it and aren't good at describing what they do and why.
    I watched 2 from pinballrehab that were really good, but were for off-board soldering only.

I have a TIP42 transistor to replace tonight, and I don't want to do an ok/good job at it -- I want to do a PRO job at it.

If I get several great responses, I'll list a summary of them all here:

thanks...
    -mof

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I find a lot of "ok" videos on youtube where people with a lot of experience just wing it and aren't good at describing what they do and why.
    I watched 2 from pinballrehab that were really good, but were for off-board soldering only.
    I have a TIP42 transistor to replace tonight, and I don't want to do an ok/good job at it -- I want to do a PRO job at it.
    thanks...
    -mof

Honestly the best thing you could do is practice on an old board. Besides having the proper tools, practice will help you better than any tutorial video.
    What sort of soldering and desoldering tools do you have on hand?

#3 10 years ago

You've probably already seen these, but...

The following article covers soldering circuit board components and has a good, but long, video from the EEVBLOG.

http://www.pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials/163-advanced-soldering-turorial

The following article covers desoldering circuit board components and has a video that covers using the Hakko desoldering gun (the article text covers solder suckers and solder wick).

http://www.pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials/165-advanced-desoldering-tutorial

And the overview page for the soldering/desoldering tutorials with links to the 5 part series.

http://www.pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials/167-soldering-tutorials

#4 10 years ago

I found Dave Jones of EEVblog very helpful when I was learning to solder. Great instruction and he is an expert. He has a three part video on his site: http://www.eevblog.com/episodes/ (#180, #183 and #186 in the episode list). Also available on YouTube. Part 1 is mainly talking about proper equipment and such. Part 2 is the main soldering techniques. Part 3 is surface mount techniques. He also has great reviews on DMMs and other electronic devices, etc as well.
    Hope that helps.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Honestly the best thing you could do is practice on an old board. Besides having the proper tools, practice will help you better than any tutorial video.
    What sort of soldering and desoldering tools do you have on hand?

radio shack also sells a kit that enables you to practice.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from yoshootme:

radio shack also sells a kit that enables you to practice.

I found these elenco kits to be useful - http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SP3B-Practical-Soldering-Project/dp/B0002LUALG/ref=sr_1_7

I bout a couple of them of varying difficulty. It was fun to actually have something work after practicing. The elenco kits also have some theory discussion.

#8 10 years ago

As others have mentioned practice, practice, practice. If you don't have old boards get a cheap board with some diodes from Radio Shack and practice soldering and desoldering them on and off.

Here is an informative you tube video on soldering that helped me when I started:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/I_NU2ruzyc4?autoplay=1&rel=0

#10 10 years ago

When you see someone who has a lot of experience soldering, it's like artistry. Every once in awhile I surprise myself by nailing it quickly - but most of the time, like everybody else, I spend more time getting things set up and re-positioning things than I do actually soldering. There's more than just knowledge... to solder on a pinball machine takes a reasonable amount of dexterity.

#11 10 years ago

I can tell you without a doubt that you can probably find some company that gets rid of defective boards and would let you have some if they were cut up. I work for a company as an electronic tech and as everyone mentioned above you just have to practice. You will need differnt size tips for different applications, always tin your tips when they are to sit, and i wouldnt recommend over 650 degrees. You can accomplish what you need by creating solder bridges to heat hings up correctly. Take your time and dont think so hard on it that you shake because you are concentrating. You will make errors and just about any of them can be fixed. ALWAYs double check your work looking as close as you can as solder shorts are not always readily seen. When you get comfortable with practice boards then move to the real deal! Good luck!

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

thanks...
    -mof

I feel your pain. I am trying to get better and have lucky shots sometimes, but most of the time it involves lots of cursing, deadly smoke and questionable solder joints...

#13 10 years ago

I would say your best bet would be finding someone who can show you how. Soldering is easy once you understand what you're trying to do, but I don't know that a video can really get it across as well as someone teaching you. It would probably only take 5-10 minutes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soldering-and-desoldering-skills and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.