12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Firebaall
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0723.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Need to purchase my first soldering iron/station. Can you guys give me some recommendations? This would be for just soldering under the playfield, not doing any board repair. I'm looking for something as inexpensive as possible, but will last. Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

60/40 Rosin core.

#3 12 years ago

Get one with tips that can be changed out in different heat settings and shapes. 600-700 degrees is fine for PCB work. 800 degrees is best for coil solder lugs with a wide tip. The ones with digital heat control are much more expensive than the ones that do it with changeable tips.

So if you are looking for just under the playfield get an 800 degree iron.

Recommended Brands (not in any order):

Weller, Metcal, Pace.

#5 12 years ago

Use "leaded solder", it works better, seals better, and better than the "safer" crap. IMHO

#6 12 years ago

shinier too... the unleaded "dries" dull.. i like shiny things.

#7 12 years ago

I have used a bunch of irons over the years , but the one I use is one from ISO Tip model 7700 (See pic). It is cordless, heats up almost instantly, comes with 2 tips and is made in USA. You can get it from McMaster Carr or Grainger or right at their web site iso-tip.com. It costs about $50 but well worth it, a snap to use anywhere on the playfield or under. Works with pretty much any solder 50/50 60/40 rosin core, (I use 50 tin 50 lead most of the time) and a good flux.

IMG_0723.JPGIMG_0723.JPG

#8 12 years ago

don't forget to get the solder sucker. I got mine at Radio Shack for about $12 I think.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from dirtrider:

60/40 Rosin core.

I have to say try eutectic solder. It's 63/37

It's more expensive, but worth it. It flows so nice you'll think you're cheating somehow.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solder-recommendation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.