• 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by starbase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tracelifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Sold Hulk tonight, the Hulk mech is just beating itself apart and the cube table is bent and ready to snap.
Since I am the second owner of the game I couldn't even get parts to fix this POS. The only parts supplier that has parts is Marco and you can get a ball, a box of bulbs and a coil. LOL!
Not wasting anymore time on this thing and it is outta here.
Great design, I like the RGB lighting, the VS modes but the build quality is just not there.
At least the flipper buttons didn't pop out so that is a plus.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

hmm stern and quality issues, thats a first. Finally some folks have had enough of the bs.

Yup, done with Sterns. New parts won't fix this game just more cheap crap that will break again.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yeah, but for how much if you are past the warranty period?

There is no warranty period for me, I was the second owner and SOL as far as getting parts.
Nobody has them and I am not paying whatever stupid amount for a Hulk mech when they are available.
I got out before the thing takes a shit and I have to buy something that will just break again.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I am sorry, but you are using false information as an excuse to get rid of a game. Stern would have absolutely taken care of you at no cost for a game this new. I have owned 4 Stern games, all of which I was the second owner, and they have supported me 100% on all of them with no hassle what-so-ever. If you want to blame build quality, poor QC, bad or rushed design, etc, that's fine, but blaming a lack of customer support for replacement parts is just plain wrong and shows that you didn't even try to contact them. In less time than it took you to write these posts, you could have shot Pat a quick e-mail and had parts on their way that same day.

I have never gotten parts from Stern as far back as '06 when they wanted a pic of the broken ramp on my ELVIS I finally just bought one.
I have a PM from a Pinsider that is getting the same run around on his AVLE for a floorplate.
I didn't bother with it, the mech hammers itself to pieces, there is metal fatigue, the pins on the rocker are loose and both links have hairline cracks in them.
The allen that holds the rocker on the shaft is pot metal and just twisted off when I went to loosen it and I had to disassemble the mech from the top to get it out through the bottom to remove it and drill it out.
Stern can send the parts to the new owner and he can screw with this game.
New parts are a temporary fix, you will be back to square one in a few hundred plays.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I have experienced the same great customer service from Stern in the past. Except for the last time with my AC/DC.
The opto board for both drop target banks have now failed and I was told I've had the game too long for them to send a replacement. However, when the game was brand new, I was sent a replacement opto board for the lower playfield that had failed within a few weeks.
I didn't argue with Chaz because I understood they can't replace parts indefinitely. But it still seems like those boards all may have been poorly made, and should've lasted more than a year.

Those boards are 100 bucks and don't have 5 bucks in parts on them, I ordered the mosfet from Mouser to repair the one on my Shrek, they were like 30 cents each.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Ha! A sellers favorite game while it's for sale, bashes it the next day after it's sold.

Slight correction, show me where this game was listed for sale?
The buyer came to me and made an offer and I accepted it.
I disclosed the problems and the ones it is about to have and he doesn't care and is getting the game for a good price.
I am not bashing the game just being up front, I don't want free parts I just don't want this problem child anymore.

#51 10 years ago

It coulda been an A list, it could have been a contender.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from Speed:

Just b/c you want to dump a problem for you doesn't mean you need to make things up about Stern. They do enough things incorrectly in reality without you making up additional fiction just to process personal anger. Next time you want to rant, Try to be fair and stick to facts.

What did I make up about Stern?
I emailed them about the ramp on my Elvis back in '06 and got no response, then I emailed Jack the Dist. I bought the game from and he wanted a pic and he would "see what he could do".
I just said screw it and bought one.
I did email Pat about the problems with this game and got no response.
Since I had no distributor I went to Marco to just buy the parts and they don't stock any nor do any of the other parts suppliers.
I got a PM from another Pinsider that said they wanted a pic of the floorplate on his game and I told him about the run around I got on the Elvis and to let me know how it works out.
It has been days, still no email from Pat.
Some people ask for one part and get a bag full of stuff, others like me get crickets or the run around.
It was nice of JJ to take care of the parts for the new owner, I told him I had no way to get the parts and the ones that I got from Eskay were already on the game except for the right arm, he only got the right and not the left.
I just repaired the arms, the new right arm is in the coinbox.
Nice to hear others get boards and T shirts etc. and parts for old 3rd owner games that's great.
Still no reply from Pat and I don't expect one.

The collectors bring these games to the shows out here, if a distributor brings them the people play the games then order them online to avoid the Ca. state tax.
That is the way it works, there is one dist. that quit bringing the new Sterns because of this, just a bunch of plays on his new games and zero sales.
Did all I could do to fix this game short of having a machinist make me the parts, kind of out of options when they are not available for sale and no reply from Stern.
i am not going to call and email multiple times and beg for parts, I got an offer for the game and took it.
There are the facts.
Another fact, I will never buy another Stern pinball or take one to another show.

#80 10 years ago

The reason I sold the game is because it is a cheaply made POS.
Speaking of bleeding edge one last tip, when your Hulk mech takes a dump put a piece of tape down the edge of the metal bracket that holds the bridge motor, that is as thin as a tin can and isn't deburred and it will cut the shit out of the back of your hand.
It isn't like I have never worked on a game or held a mech in my hands, you can say it doesn't matter but when shit is so cheaply made the flipper buttons pop out or an Allen head just twists off like butter and again it isn't like I have never loosened an Allen bolt and I know when to stop turning and add heat or impact the thing just gave up the frikken ghost with light pressure.
It didn't have a damn thing to do with the gameplay or the callouts the game is very addicting it is just for the price the quality and zero attention to detail coupled with no response from Stern I sold the damn thing.
I own my own business and when an employee goes on vacation another employee takes that position to service our customers.
Pat is on vacation is not a valid excuse to me anyway.
Stern can make these games out of paper mache as far as I am concerned I will never buy another one.
If you have this game and another older Stern run your finger up and down the side of the service rails the ones on my ELVIS are smooth and deburred, the ones on Hulk are sharp.
Cheaper, cheaper cheaper while the price goes higher and higher.
I would have kept this game if it was better built but if the dog hadn't stopped to take a shit it would have caught the rabbit.
IMO people are selling the game for the same reason Eskay sold it, this dog won't hunt out of the box, you can get it to play properly but you can't keep it from falling apart.
Look at his vid and count how many times either launcher shot the ball to the rollovers.
Good enough, screw testing just shove it in the box and ship it and let the end user deal with it.
I am just shaking my head about the springs on the drops on Met how the hell does a game leave the factory like that?
Lack of care that is how it happens.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Good post trace lifter with the exception of this. Gotta correct you; in the video I was manual plunging to the right flipper for better shot set ups.

I do that also but now you have the option to do either.
On autolaunch I push the plunger in all the way to get a short plunge to set up the CA and HE shots.
In your vid the autolauncher does the rattle and roll down now it flies up to the rollovers and I can manual plunge and hit the CA skill shot most of the time.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I'd have to agree. I've always found them to be very responsive. If you find yourself in similar circumstances in future, give them a shot. You might be surprised.

Well Jediturtle looks like Pat is on vacation and I did contact them and still no response and Pat didn't shoot me anything the same day.
I just assumed it was the same shit I got when I bought my NIB Elvis, no response from Stern and a "take a picture and I will see what I can do" from Jersey Jack.
That BTW is why I didn't buy a WoZ I don't need to do a damn photo shoot to get support on a new game I buy.
I guess there are enough people looking for freebies that he wanted a pic to make sure it was really broken, it isn't like Stern didn't know they were breaking, they broke while testing them and they shipped them anyway.
I just went ahead and ordered the ramp from Marco and would have done the same for these parts if they were available.
So happy Stern took care of you mooching parts on used games, I don't appreciate being called a liar.
Oh and I offered to pay for these parts, JJ said no we will do this under warranty so thanks JJ for doing this for me.

Mods can you please close this thread, it has run it's course.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tracelifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sold-hulk-le-tonight?tu=tracelifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.