(Topic ID: 163307)

SOLD! Comet Pinball LEDs has New Owners!

By OLDPINGUY

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ryanwanger
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    20160705_190316_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    beezleboobvagabond2_(resized).png
    Bambi_Comet_(resized).jpg
    backglass_hdr2_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 years ago

0geist0

Quoted from JackpotJanet:

The Comet website will down for a bit today as our ecommerce platform is updating things in the backend. Sorry for the inconvenience!!

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Cometpinball site is gone???

Incredibly, "take down the site completely for up to two business days" is standard operating procedure when transferring between owners for the e-commerce platform that hosts the store.

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

OK......Its all done.....3 long days of counting, and counting, and counting.....
    Ryan and Janet are on their way back home, having just left.
    I am available for a few weeks to help with any questions in general, but order specifics, etc, should be directed to them.
    It is expected that they will start shipping orders next Monday, and many items, other than 3 and Super Flux, will be back in stock next week. They will need a short bit of time to update.
    Thank you again, everyone...not dead yet, but head first now into medical research.
    Wishing Ryan and Janet all the best, and be gentle Guys......it will take a bit for them to get into the groove of things,
    and the ship sails on forward.....Happy 4th, its almost 7 pm, and Ive done 2 months straight of 7 days to get here.....
    Rest......Thank you, Thank You, Thank you...for all the kind words, well wishes, and support.....mostly just being fellow pinhead friends.
    My home is always open to anyone traveling to Orlando!
    CIAO!

Art, thanks for all you did for the business. Welcome Ryan and Janet. Got an order coming your way.

Regards,
    Victor...

#104 7 years ago

Thanks Art.
    Just went to place an order and found this thread.
    Sad to see you go.
    Best of luck

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Incredibly, "take down the site completely for up to two business days" is standard operating procedure when transferring between owners for the e-commerce platform that hosts the store.

Ah, the joys of owning your own pinball business. I'm sure that if it was a more prominent customer, they would have been able to do it without the interruption.

#106 7 years ago

I'd find someone else new to host.. Even if you're not shipping till next week, every minute the site is down is costing you money..

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

I'd find someone else new to host.. Even if you're not shipping till next week, every minute the site is down is costing you money..

Not good for your search engine rankings either...

We really did consider switching, but we went with the "don't rock the boat" option. Since that took down the site anyway - it looks like we got the worst of both worlds!

I'm a web developer...there is nothing more frustrating than being told to "wait for propagation" while you sit around twiddling your thumbs. (Technically I'm petting a dog, but you get the point).

#108 7 years ago

Congrats Art on your successful Comet business over the years. And, congrats to Ryan and Janet as well on their new venture. Comet pinball was down the road from me in Winter Park. Sad to see ya go ;-(

#109 7 years ago

I need to order!!!!
    can you add Republic of Ireland to the shipping list?
    It only ever had Northern Ireland.
    It was always a pain

Good luck with the new venture

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from urbanledge:

I need to order!!!!
    can you add Republic of Ireland to the shipping list?
    It only ever had Northern Ireland.
    It was always a pain
    Good luck with the new venture

If I say "yes", is it binding? I assume that's an easy thing to add. Will figure it out this weekend - would love to have you order!

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

there is nothing more frustrating than being told to "wait for propagation" while you sit around twiddling your thumbs.

I deal with this all the time when moving clients onto my hosted Exchange platform. Thankfully, the main DNS servers propagate very quickly, except that one damn server in Malaysia. The problem is all the smaller ones that only update once or twice a day. Those could cause a lot of issues for you.

You can always drop the TTL down to 600s, which seems to help. Thank goodness for mailflow redirection. I can cut DNS anytime and just shoot the mail back to the old server while I wait the 48 hours for it to propagate.

Congratulations on your new business!!!

#112 7 years ago

Enjoy Art!! Thanks for all of your help!

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Or even just bring a display board with 100 LEDs set up for display and do a show special on orders placed during the show or something (to be shipped to their house from your main office).
    If I'm buying LEDs at a show, it's not typically because I need them right then and there.

This is what CoinTaker does and I find it to be a mixed blessing. Yes, you can see every bulb they carry and see how it operates. It's also a blinding, dizzying mess. And at the end of the day, half of the bulbs are stolen out of it.

Personally, I'd rather see real examples. Having some tablets/laptops so I can look at the website and see the differences between the bulbs and how they compare to each other and incandescents, as well as how they look on the playfield and under inserts would be of greater value to me. I know it's difficult to get an accurate representation in photos, so bring a couple of playfields...one that plays on the warm colors and another one for cool colors. Light them half and half, with sunlight on one half, something else on the other. Or, more sensibly, bring a case with parts of playfields. We've all seen the guy who has gameroom signs made of playfield parts. Cut up old worn playfields and bring pop bumpers, slingshots and sections with a variety of inserts so people can see how they look when lit.

As far as product at the show, I'd suggest common bulbs, 25 packs and 100 packs for people who have to have it right now. And bring the Matrix line, because you want to show that off. I agree with Wolfmarsh on a special show rate, which would expire a few days after the show for those (like me) who need time to put together a more thorough order.

I'm looking forward to the continued success of Comet Pinball and I really hope you decide to travel to shows because I believe you need to take your products to the people.

#114 7 years ago

Here is something I would love to see added to the site, pictures showing each bulb color under each insert color. This would help those odd discussions where it might be suggested to put a pink led under a yellow insert vs an actual yellow led. Or what other unique colors like purple/pink/uv/iceblue/fire look like under inserts.

It could be as simple as a drilled piece of wood with inserts put into it. Clear|White|Yellow|Orange|Red|etc... Maybe 2, one for clear inserts, another for opaque.

Great Lakes Modular does something similar for their star post lights: http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/spl_kit_green.html

#115 7 years ago

Rats!

Was about to drop Art a line as am over in Florida in a few weeks, and wanted to pick up a couple of hundred bucks of Led's!!!

Art - It;s been a pleasure young man! You have always helped me out, and have been an absolute star! Thank you for all you have done, and have a great retirement!!

Ryan - Good luck!! Hope it all goes well for you! Cant pick up from the old master himself, so guess i will have to pay the silly extortionate customs charges now Let us know when/if these go on sale again!

Best Wishes to all!
    Paul (from the UK).

#116 7 years ago

Hey Paul,

You can still order from Ryan, and pick up from me in Orlando, if we can coordinate the meet up.
    Send me a PM with your rough schedule of when youll be in town, and Ill do my best to make that happen.

Art

#117 7 years ago

Site is back

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#118 7 years ago

Yup! Its called two internet companies, among the largest there is, blaming each other for not doing the job right!

Crazy calling back and forth, but at least Godaddy, is always on the phone fast!

As Ryan and Janet are still traveling, Please post or PM if anyone has any site issues or send to Ryan and Janet at [email protected].

We want to be sure everything is functioning correctly.

Thanks!

#119 7 years ago

Congrats, Art! Has been a pleasure doing business with you over the last several years!

Todd

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hey Paul,
    You can still order from Ryan, and pick up from me in Orlando, if we can coordinate the meet up.
    Send me a PM with your rough schedule of when youll be in town, and Ill do my best to make that happen.
    Art

Service even after the business is sold....you da man Art.

#121 7 years ago

Always happy to help someone named, "Paul"!

Now why arent we both at Pintastic right now?

#122 7 years ago
    Quoted from toibs:

Cant pick up from the old master himself, so guess i will have to pay the silly extortionate customs charges now Let us know when/if these go on sale again!

Just swing by Colorado...you'll already be over halfway there...

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

That's the cheaper, but less adventurous option.

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yup! Its called two internet companies, among the largest there is, blaming each other for not doing the job right!

On my last call with the e-commerce host, they had me change the DNS settings on Go Daddy to something wrong, and then change them back to the correct servers. Within 5 seconds, the site was working.

The best part was that I then got an email from support asking that I "allow up to 6 days to propagate".

#124 7 years ago

6 days is usually the default answer for ALL of the internet to get the change.
    It really all depends on the Time-To-Live.... which according to my query is:

- Name=www.cometpinball.com
    Type=CNAME, Class=1, TTL=868 (14 Minutes 28 Seconds), RDLENGTH=2
    CNAME=cometpinball.com

which is TINY. According to this; the change should propagate within the hour.
    HOWEVER, it really depends on what Art had his TTL set to.

My advise is once you get the hosting sorted out.... as quickly as possible set the TTL to something much larger. I'd say 8hrs at a minimum. You don't want us internet vermin... taking out your host's DNS server with all the queries.

NM. I see the TTL is actually set to 1day.

#125 7 years ago

And.......
    Order placed!

#126 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Always happy to help someone named, "Paul"!
    Now why arent we both at Pintastic right now?

Yeah us "Paul's" are good guys.

#127 7 years ago

Glad everything is working again, I'll be there for some more orders soon.

......happiest day of my life was when I got all my domain names and web hosting off GoDaddy.......

#128 7 years ago

For those who are internet wonks (or who ran an ISP -- like me) -- There is more to it than just TTL involved.

There is also the "min" and retry time in the SOA record. If you intend to move a domain at some time in the next several weeks you want to both bump the serial number *and* adjust all of the TTL figures to something short but rational (an hour is fine for most modest-volume e-commerce sites.)

There are also sites on the 'net running caching resolvers that *ignore* those settings, but that sort of intentional damage can't be gotten around. Fortunately those sites tend to be few in number and impact with a couple of notable exceptions in the mobile phone space.

Just remember to put the TTLs and such back when your move is complete, as dropping them does materially increase load on the DNS infrastructure.

#129 7 years ago

Looking forward to placing an order in a few weeks. Once you start using the optix maximus GI bulbs you can ever go back.

#130 7 years ago

sorry, i haven't been on Pinside much the last few days, so i'm late to the party.

congratulations, Art!!! enjoy your retirement and thanks so much for all you've done for the hobby!

congratulations also to Ryan and Janet, too!

3 weeks later
    #131 7 years ago

we've talked, congrats, and enjoy life

#132 7 years ago

Got my first order delivered from the new owners! Super fast and quality as always thanks Ryan and Janet!

1 week later
    #134 7 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

When are you getting white 906 flashers back in stock: http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/5smdflash.htm

Sorry, just saw this. They're in stock! I'm definitely faster in responding to PMs.

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sold-comet-pinball-leds-has-new-owners/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.