(Topic ID: 162803)

Solar Ride: Vote on it's Fate! What should I do?

By Friengineer

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jwilson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Solar Ride's Fate: (The power is yours, Pinside)”

• Keep it, Store it - (Play it in the future) 1 vote
    8%
  • Sell it on the cheap as a project - (no repro boards) 10 votes
    83%
  • Part it out - (who needs some parts?) 0 votes
  • Sell via craigslist, threaten to destroy it if I don't receive the price I want - (Here's to you Space Invaders) 1 vote
    8%
  • Other - (Turn it into a fish tank? Retheme? Paper Weight?) 0 votes

(12 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160618_162913_(resized).jpg
20160618_162839_(resized).jpg
20160618_162835_(resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

What should I do with my Solar Ride?

Background: I need some space and I've had a few life expenses pop up; wedding, car repairs, etc. I bought this Solar Ride as a project. The game plays but is beat up. I'm using a rotten dog PS, and a repro MPU/Driver board. The scoring displays work. I installed sockets in the displays and new UDN6118. The credit display is toast. I have the original untested MPU and driver board. New rubbers, new plastics.

I have other projects both pinball and non-pinball that I'm working on. I'm also at that point where I don't know how much more money I should throw into this particular pin.

The playfield is a 2/10, cabinet has fading.

I'll probably end up storing it somewhere out of sight and mind but I thought I would ask the Pinside.

20160618_162835_(resized).jpg20160618_162835_(resized).jpg

20160618_162839_(resized).jpg20160618_162839_(resized).jpg

20160618_162913_(resized).jpg20160618_162913_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Clean it, wax it, and play it. Also be sure to triple thick the backglass since it's only going to get worse.

You'll probably never get back the money you put into a system 1 game, unfortunately.

I would certainly not consider parting it out--it's a serviceable game. A few cosmetic issues won't stop someone from enjoying it.

#3 7 years ago

Sell it as a project and see how much money you can get back out. Someone will want to work on it. It's ok to give up on a project. Too many people hold on to them to long. If you're not going to do it within the year, out she goes.

#4 7 years ago

If it were mine, I'd put it in the queue for Rattle Can Rejuvenator ™ and clean it up, touch up the playfield graphics and clear it. Fix all mechanicals and electronics (repairing original boards can save hundreds but can also drive you insane), do something to make the backglass more presentable and sell it.

Even in collector quality that game shouldn't have much demand. A casual owner home is what that game needs and that just needs good enough cosmetic appeal to entice play.

Touchups and clear, even "hobby level" work will make that game more appealing for play.

Or not.

#5 7 years ago

Where you located? How much you want for it as is?

#6 7 years ago

I'd just wax it and play it.

Not every game needs to be restored.

I have 1000x the respect for a game that plays great and shows it's age, than a half-ass "restoration" that looks like shit.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Where you located? How much you want for it as is?

Wisconsin - land of beer and cheese. $200? Offer? Beer & Cheese?

Quoted from cody_chunn:

Touchups and clear, even "hobby level" work will make that game more appealing for play.

I would like to get to the level of touchups and clear but I just don't have the space right now.

#8 7 years ago

Well, I guess you should ask it how much vid's respect means to it? Multiply that by a thousand and plug it into the pinball restore or not to restore equation and see what the bat computer spits out.

It sounds like the decision has been made for you by space constraints. It's gotta go somewhere...see if you can get enough cash out of it to sell off and move on. That's not an overly exciting game anyway.

#9 7 years ago

As much as I love beer and and cheese.....too far for this New Englander.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Wisconsin - land of beer and cheese. $200? Offer? Beer & Cheese?

I would like to get to the level of touchups and clear but I just don't have the space right now.

#10 7 years ago

Yeah, pass it on if you don't want to play it. Restoring that is for someone who likes losing money, or loves that particular game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 15.00
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
Various other swag
€ 12.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solar-ride-vote-on-its-fate-what-should-i-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.