Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ejacques
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0965 (resized).JPG
IMG_0966 (resized).JPG
IMG_0964 (resized).JPG
20161125_161447.jpg
Sight_2016_11_16_213715_747 (resized).jpg
Sight_2016_11_16_213720_253 (resized).jpg
Sight_2016_11_16_213727_788 (resized).jpg
Sight_2016_11_16_213734_882 (resized).jpg
IMG_0529 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I found a very nice solar ride.. 90 percent perfect inside and out other then some bsckglass flaking ... boards.. playfeild. Cabinet ect all appear nice .
Other then on here what do you think a fair price is. ? 500 ??

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I found a very nice solar ride.. 90 percent perfect inside and out other then some bsckglass flaking ... boards.. playfeild. Cabinet ect all appear nice .
Other then on here what do you think a fair price is. ? 500 ??

System 1's are a hard sell in most cases. Even if its in good shape, depending on if it works I wouldn't pay more than $400.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

System 1's are a hard sell in most cases. Even if its in good shape, depending on if it works I wouldn't pay more than $400.

Kinda what I was thinkin.
I have one system 1 close encounters .. I love the game.. all my others are williams bally ect.. system 11 and on.. but this one is nice..

#4 2 years ago

I LOVE my Solar Ride - but unfortunately others are correct in saying that they typically do not get much love...

I restored my PF and put all new boards in - but the game was a 'payment' for doing other work so I lucked out and still dont have too much invested.

Good luck!

-scott

IMG_0529 (resized).jpg

#5 2 years ago

Despite the interesting artwork and backglass, it's unfortunately one of the lesser system 1 titles since the gameplay isn't particularly noteworthy. You'd be lucky to get much more than $650 in nice condition, and fully shopped & working.

#6 2 years ago

Ok. Good to knoW.
Gonna make a low offer.. its at a antique shop.. the guys cool but he's a money maker .. like I say I was very surprised how nice it is other then the minor flaked bsckglass.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

I LOVE my Solar Ride - but unfortunately others are correct in saying that they typically do not get much love...
I restored my PF and put all new boards in - but the game was a 'payment' for doing other work so I lucked out and still dont have too much invested.
Good luck!
-scott

That looks nice and shiny!!

I went the extra mile and changed out inserts to make it look"updated".

Sight_2016_11_16_213734_882 (resized).jpg

Sight_2016_11_16_213727_788 (resized).jpg

Sight_2016_11_16_213720_253 (resized).jpg

Sight_2016_11_16_213715_747 (resized).jpg

#8 2 years ago

Yeah, System 1 games are basically "EMs... but on a computer" likely just for new cosmetic appeal and keeping up with the times. They did not really use the technology to its full potential to do new advanced things they couldn't easily do with EM technology, for a while.

Compare this and other Gottlieb 1979 games to Williams Flash also from 1979. Shows why they fell behind in solid-state and never recovered the crown.

#9 2 years ago

I do love my Solar Ride. My only suggestion is to keep your expenses down. The cost of purchase + repinning the whole thing and any other small repairs could easily be more than you can sell it for in the future. If your anything like me I had a great time repairing and playing every night for months but it does get stale after a while. I'll probably be parting ways with mine soon and I'll most likely be selling at a loss. It's cool though i had my fun with it and it will be new to someone else.

20161125_161447.jpg

1 month later
#10 1 year ago

Picked up a new toy last night, Gottlieb Solar Ride in pretty good condition. Cabinet has been touched up, play field looks good but there is a little flaking on the back glass. $150. This is going to be a project for my son and I. It has a bunch of burned out bulbs. Any recommendations on incandescent replacements or LEDs?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Spg101:

Picked up a new toy last night, Gottlieb Solar Ride in pretty good condition. Cabinet has been touched up, play field looks good but there is a little flaking on the back glass. $150. This is going to be a project for my son and I. It has a bunch of burned out bulbs. Any recommendations on incandescent replacements or LEDs?

You're lucky I decided that it wasn't worth the money for me to drive down there, because I saw the ad right after it went up! It didn't look too horrible despite the crap pictures and worth more than 150...just not worth 150, parts, and travel. Congrats!

#12 1 year ago

Thanks Frax. Actually the machine is in much better shape than the pictures lead on. It was a 2 1/1 drive each way for me. Guy said it didn't boot up but when I got there she as working just fine! Needs LOTS of bulbs though. I'll have to check it out closer this weekend but it seemed to be a good buy. Was in the "ether" so I may have missed some things, couldn't load it fast enough!

#13 1 year ago

Right? Even when I look really closely I miss stuff on game pickups. It just happens. Bulbs are cheap, everything in there should be 44's...if you go incandescents they're like 2 bucks for a box of 10 I think from Pinball Life?

#14 1 year ago

Sweet pickup, excellent price. I mostly love to turn my Solar Ride on in a dark room and look at it, the backglass artwork is awesome and fortunately mine is in excellent condition (bg anyway). Play wise I have a love hate relationship with it, every once in a while I get in a good groove and string together a few really good balls, most of the time the outlanes suck the balls in and the holes refuse to take em.

#15 1 year ago

Congratz!! I had a great time fixing mine up. Lots of help from kids also. I'm sure you and your family will have a great time with this machine. Check out my YouTube channel. Almost every video I've posted there has been on solar ride.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6GeedEw4sPOmatF4rYUQIQ

Sadly I just sold mine 2 weeks ago, but if you have any questions or need help it's very fresh in my mind.

#16 1 year ago

UGH! I was the first to reply to that CL ad (according to the seller). Dude told me he'd hold it for me until after I got off work. Called him after and he had sold it without telling me. I was so bummed

I spent two hours of my day arranging a transport vehicle and went to get money out of the bank. Sucks when sellers don't communicate with buyers, but glad it's gonna get fixed up.

#17 1 year ago

Well got it pit back together and it wouldn't work so I started going through the basics. Found a blown fuse, replaced it today and Shazam she works! Here are a couple of better pics. Not a higher $$ value machine but it's ok. Here are a couple of better pics. You can really see the flaking in the backglass

IMG_0964 (resized).JPG

IMG_0966 (resized).JPG

IMG_0965 (resized).JPG

#18 1 year ago

Cool, heck of a deal for $150! A nice little shooter that should give you plenty of enjoyment.

#19 1 year ago

Love mine....even better with the Pascal 4 in 1 board in it for the skill shot. Definitely not a high price game but rock solid fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
€ 8.40
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 89.99
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 199.99
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside