(Topic ID: 84242)

Solar Fire - System 7 - one column of controlled lights not working

By TopJimmyCooks

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I can't track down an issue with one whole column of controlled lights.

Lamp Column 2 which controls four magnasave lights, 2 drain shields and Shoot Again. These lights flash on and off properly in the diagnostic lamp test. During play, they are stuck on or go on and off without regard for the rules. For example, shoot again stays on almost all the time. Its almost like they are on when they should be off, but it's not exactly that because sometimes the drain shield lights work according to the rules.

So far I have replaced:
Various drive transistors to get them all to light up on test individually.
IC 13 controlling columns 1 through 4 - no change.
IC 10 - the lamp driver PIA - no change in behavior.
all headers and connector pins redone.
Mosfets and zero ohm resistors mod done.
40 pin connector and header pins replaced.

What's next to diagnose or try? the only other thing I can think of is some kind of short on the wire to the PF for that column. I need to get a logic probe too. really appreciate any help. Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Yeah i would be searching the PF for short. You could unplug the lamp connectors and remove bulb, test diode, remove bulb test diode. Do for all in the Column. You will be checking diode and looking for shorts at the same time.

#3 10 years ago

Does sys 7 have single lamp test yet? I can't remember right now.

Go through and figure out what double lights. It might be tricky with out single lamp test, but find the pattern, there will be one. Once you see the pattern, trouble shooting becames more logical and less stabby in the dark(which i am known to get frustrated and do!)

#4 10 years ago

Well my Flash has all lamps not sure about single lamp test. I would just look and the lamps he is having issue with and refer to the lamp matrix chart. One column 8 places to check. The intermittent description seems like one socket to close to another

Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:During play, they are stuck on or go on and off without regard for the rules.

#5 10 years ago

I found a ground touching between column 1 and column 2 - cleared that and things are better but not perfect. I'll go through tomorrow and check all the diodes and I may need to redo some of the board stuff if that ground caused previously replaced scr's to go bad again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

4,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solar-fire-system-7-one-column-of-controlled-lights-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.