Solar Fire help

By genjackson

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Well, I spent about 6 hours last night working on Solar Fire. Almost every issue on it is fixed now. I still have one drop target that when running through the test mode will drop and raise perfectly, but in game, it won't drop unless you literally throw the ball at it as hard as possible. Any ideas on that? Also, I don't have a manual for it, but I have deduced that the 3-24 led code i'm getting after the test is a switch that's stuck open or closed. If anybody has the manual and knows what switch that is, i'd be grateful to know

#2 10 years ago

have you heard of ipdb? the documentation is there as it is for most games

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2238

#3 10 years ago

I just did, thanks It helped me out with the switch code, but I can't even find anything on google about drop targets not wanting to fall in game.

#4 10 years ago

I just went through my Solar fire drop targets. I would pull the bad one out out and inspect the drop, make sure it's clean/buff the sides with novus. check the latch shelf on front and make sure its not chewed up somehow. check the black plastic guides for burrs or obstructions/dirt. check/replace the return spring. switch that target with another in the bank and see if it's the position or the target itself, or maybe that will fix it. clean and polish the t spring. Polish the two metal bars across the back of the bank. I flipped mine because they never had been flipped before and the inside surface was worn but the outside was perfect, so now they're basically new. make sure the reset bar drops back down on its own after a reset and is not holding a drop up. Make sure there's nothing dropped behind the head of the target in the playfield slot keeping it pushed forward.

Worst case, I have a few spare 3 banks that work ok, taken from a black knight if you need some.

#5 10 years ago

Sweet, thanks man, I just printed what you said and will check it out as soon as I get home from work

#6 10 years ago

you also might want to check RGP, there is much more history there as Pinside site is fairly new.

You can get there through RGPArchive, or Google Groups:
http://rgparchive-removed.com/rgpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=2
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/rec.games.pinball

#7 10 years ago

If its a drop target assembly - I have been pulling the entire thing, putting all parts in my sonic cleaner - then buffing etc like JimmyCooks mentions above. They just get gummy and dirty - needs a good cleaning most likely

#8 10 years ago

What is a sonic cleaner?

#9 10 years ago

Ultrasonic cleaner. Great for cleaning plain plastics and metal. Different from a tumbler since it does not polish. Harbor Freight makes a decent cheap model.

#10 10 years ago

Ok, like everything else I fix, as soon as I fix one thing, something else happens. I've been fixing switches and stuff and now all the sudden, when I start a game, it spits out two balls. Also, when the a ball drains, it doesn't recognize it as draining. I'm confused.

#11 10 years ago

Nevermind, like an idiot, I had 4 balls in there instead of three One last question, when I push the diagnostics button on the main board, I get a 9, which the book says "Coin-door closed, Memory Protect Circuit Faulty, or IC19 CMOS RAM faulty." This wouldn't happen to be because I'm leaving the batteries off the board is it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

4,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solar-fire-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.