Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DaveH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Has anyone who's owned either of these games tried removing the Outlane posts? Or do you think it makes the game ridiculously difficult if you do that?

I removed them on my SC the other day, pitched the game a bit higher and the game play went from snooze fest to serious game on!

Now some three ball games can last 1 minute and you're forced to play a much tougher and exciting game to do well. The game play did a total 180. The ball stayed in the inlanes 80 percent of the time before the posts were removed.

1 week later
#2 2 years ago

I'm just curious why you'd want to do that? With the game set up and playing 100%, playfield angle a bit steeper than normal, and the free ball/free game scores set pretty high, it's a relatively tough player as designed. Just my 2Cs.

#3 2 years ago

I personally found the game to be ridiculously easy with the posts intact. As I mentioned the ball stayed in the inlanes almost every time. The only way to really lose it was between the flippers.

The game play went from very simple to extremely challenging but in the end like most game set ups it's a matter of personal taste.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Masspinballfan:

I personally found the game to be ridiculously easy with the posts intact. As I mentioned the ball stayed in the inlanes almost every time. The only way to really lose it was between the flippers.
The game play went from very simple to extremely challenging but in the end like most game set ups it's a matter of personal taste.

All the posts surrounding the outlanes have two adjustments, conservative or liberal, which when adjusted will change the likelihood of the ball draining or not.

#5 2 years ago

When I removed the posts I didn't see another set of holes for the liberal/conservative settings like I've usually seen in other GTB EMs. A buddy of mine was playing an EL Dorado and told me there were no Outlane posts in that game with obviously the same p/f layout. That was what got me thinking about making the change.

I tend to like games I own to be very difficult anyway to avoid boredom. With it set up this way you have to consistently nudge the game and shoot accurately or the game will end quickly. It's easy enough to insert them again if I change my mind later but I'm liking the much more challenging and difficult play.

#6 2 years ago

Funny thing is right below this thread is a Solar City for Sale and a Wanted to Buy Solar City.

#7 2 years ago

When I removed the posts I didn't see another set of holes for the liberal/conservative settings like I've usually seen in other GTB EMs. A buddy of mine was playing an EL Dorado and told me there were no Outlane posts in that game with obviously the same p/f layout. That was what got me thinking about making the change.
I tend to like games I own to be very difficult anyway to avoid boredom. With it set up this way you have to consistently nudge the game and shoot accurately or the game will end quickly. It's easy enough to insert them again if I change my mind later but I'm liking the much more challenging and difficult play.

You're right about there being no outlane post on El Dorado. I assume that because Solar city is a multiplayer and resets after each ball they put in the post to make the game play a little easier. Certainly no harm in taking them out and making it more challenging.

#8 2 years ago

A buddy of mine was playing an EL Dorado and told me there were no Outlane posts in that game with obviously the same p/f layout.

I was that buddy, and I played Masspinballfan's Solar City again yesterday. I was very familiar with his copy, and knew exactly how it played. But now it's just a monster! It is fast, light, and a beast right from the plunge. Every movement of the ball makes you feel uneasy playing it because it is so dangerous, and the ball is always seeking the quickest way to the trough.

Now I realize not everyone likes their games setup like that. It isn't stock, and playing a game that just wants to slap you in the face is rough. But I like games like that. And in a collection, a game or two that is brutal is a good thing. If you want relaxing, he had Mata Hari right next to it that was wonderfully relaxing. But this SC is perfect now. We playing it like crazy and couldn't get enough.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waco, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hamilton, MA
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
€ 8.40
$ 279.95
Machine - For Sale
West Greenwich, RI

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside