• Solar City 5 votes
    14%
  • Target Alpha 12 votes
    32%
  • Canada Dry, Export version. 5 votes
    14%

(37 votes)

#1 7 years ago

What are the differences to you on these 2 games? Both have that sci-fi type of theme.
Solar City is a 2 player.
Target Alpha is a 4 player.

Colour themes are really different. Although some graphics are the same.
I'm just posting this for comments. Tossed in the poll, including some other Gottliebs with the same layout.

#2 7 years ago

ED all the way. The challenge of just banging away trying to get all the targets down in one ball bores me with TA, SC, and CD. I need more strategy like ED provides.

#3 7 years ago

Voted for El Dorado as the multiplayer implementation isn't as good. I do like the artwork of Canada Dry the best of the multiplayers.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#4 7 years ago

Voted for TA as I'm a multiplayer fan but can't image anyone other than a fan would do the same when there's a wedge head in the mix.

ED for game-play.
TA for the art.
Not really big on the product style theme of CD.
If I'm going to give up single player game-play then I'd rather go all the way to a 4 player so SC would not be my choice.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

What are the differences to you on these 2 games? Both have that sci-fi type of theme.
Solar City is a 2 player.
Target Alpha is a 4 player.

You basically summed it up already.

IMHO Solar City is a great art package, and the backglass has more space for art with only two score reels. But you do lose rule complexity on the multiplayers vs El Dorado because the mechanics of running multiplayers and the need to remove drop target memory from ball to ball lessens things somewhat.

#6 7 years ago

I had a Solar City and liked it just fine. Thought about getting an El Dorado, but didn't think the rules difference would justify the extra cost. The artwork wasn't bad, but after a while it lost it's luster.

But it served the purpose as my first and only EM machine for quite some time. The new owner seemed very happy when he took it away. It was a solid machine, I will say that.

#7 7 years ago

Damnit o-din, your avatar is really F-ing up my head, it's just still burned into me that thats' Rob typing.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

ED all the way.

Yep.

Ken

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from jasonsmith:

Voted for TA as I'm a multiplayer fan but can't image anyone other than a fan would do the same when there's a wedge head in the mix.
ED for game-play.
TA for the art.
Not really big on the product style theme of CD.
If I'm going to give up single player game-play then I'd rather go all the way to a 4 player so SC would not be my choice.

I totally agree. I wish TA was a wedgie, because it has the art for me.

#10 7 years ago

This thread just proves if they make the same game in too many options, not everybody will be satisfied. (See Stern sub-forum)

#11 7 years ago

So let me get this straight guys...
You have a choice between T&A or ED.
No brainer...
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#12 7 years ago

Not any difference of game play on the Solar City vs the Target Alpha. Just the art package of the two and more art because of less score reels on the Solar City. Haven't played a Canada Dry (pretty tough to find one in the states).

With that said I own an El Dorado because of the better rule set. Gold Strike is a good add-a-ball game.

#14 7 years ago

For me solar city, 2 Player ,low Production 2525 , all good ems ,Canada dry never seen one

#15 7 years ago

target alpha. love the backglass

#16 7 years ago

Does Target Alpha have higher scoring (in the 5 ball rule set), than the Solar City?

#17 7 years ago

They appear to be the same Darcy upon looking at the score cards. - http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

I don't have a SC so can't say for certain.

#18 7 years ago

SOlar city sucks bad

Target alpha is awesome. One of my top 5 EM's.

#19 7 years ago

Im voting for TA and t&a! I have a TA but would love an El Dorado.

#20 7 years ago

Got to be ElD

#21 7 years ago

I've had both Solar City and Target Alpha before I got my El Dorado and liked them both. I think most people like the art package a little better on the Target Alpha although if I had a chance to buy a Solar City for a good price I wouldn't hesitate.

#22 7 years ago

Out of the El Dorado group of pins the I have not played are Gold Strike and Lucky Strike. Even played the City of Gold, and was killing it at the arcade.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Haven't played a Canada Dry (pretty tough to find one in the states).

Tim Arnold has one that I played recently at the Pinball Hall of Fame. Agree with the poster who thought the artwork was a bit over the top, also the game play was just so-so. (Tim's games are not set up the way I would, yada-yada)
Agree with the majority here-TA for artwork (though SC does have more room on the backglass), Eldo for gameplay. BTW, they just cheaped out on the plastics for Solar City and reused the patterns from Target Alpha with different colors!

#24 7 years ago

Target Alpha....my second favorite EM....after Centigrade 37, of course....

#25 7 years ago

I've found Target Alpha to be a perfect game for parties. As simple as the rulesets are for EMs, most non-players/non-collectors seem uninterested in learning how a game works. I explain the rules, but they just like "hitting things with the ball." With Target Alpha, these types of players get a classic layout, a great art package, head-to-head competition, and drop targets that reset at the beginning of every ball.

If I had the chance, however, I'd own a Lucky Strike, the Italian version of Gold Strike. I'd like to try that game in 5-ball novelty mode. You get a fixed number of balls, like a replay game, but crazy high scoring with the lightbox advance unit.

#26 7 years ago

"Just the facts Ma'am". Here are the year of production and the known totals.

1975 El Dorado 2,875.
1975 Gold Strike 675.
1975 Lucky Strike 1,013.
1976 Canada Dry 2,885.
1976 Target Alpha 7,285.
1977 Solar City 2,525.
1984 City of Gold 905.

It is no wonder why there seems to be more Target Alpha games on Pinside.

#27 7 years ago

I am a fan of 2 player EM's over the 4 players. For one I don't have enough people ever at my place to necessitate a 4 player machine. Most people get bored while playing in a 4 player mode of an EM and will play the other games beside them while they wait. I like the art of Solar City. I played several games on El Dorado and it just did absolutely nothing for me. I had a chance to buy one on many occasions but could not pull the trigger because I just don't care for the game at all. Solar City is pretty and I like the way it looks unfortunately I don't like the game play. I could have bought a Target Alpha for 500-600 dollars that looked great but again I don't like the game. I find Abra Ca Dabra and Atlantis to be far better games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,450 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yorktown, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 92.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Machine - For Sale
St Louis, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!