• Latest reply 2 years ago by MarkG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Solar City Schematic (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

The thousands score reel advances 1 position at start up. Maybe a few digits, but generally stops at #4. All others advance to 0 and the game is ready to play. So, the player has 4k even before starting game. Actuating the L relay or any relay controlling the tens, 100's, 1000's advances the next decade reel. Any thoughts where start up pulses come from? I put my time in at a customers house trying most everything I could to no avail. I have the schematics at home to go over, "P" I assume player unit, but at the time I did not know where position 3C was. Since all other reels are advancing and there is a common amongst all, I assume it's switch P3C. Good assumption or bad?
Does the disk on the score reel (either the 100's or 1000's) have anything to do with this?
Thanks!

Solar City Schematic (resized).JPGSolar City Schematic (resized).JPG
#2 2 years ago

So when you start a game and let's say that reel is at 5. It just advances one or two steps but stops short of '0'? Have you checked/adjusted the switches in that reel unit?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Have you checked/adjusted the switches in that reel unit?

Yes I did check that carefully, as mentioned the score on player one 1000's unit doesn't advance to 0 on start up. But once start up is finished all digits work fine because they are being controlled from each of their own relay. During start up none of the relays activate. The score reels are pulsed directly bypassing these relays. I will go to the animation of a Gottlieb start up on Utube and see if I can discern what might be happening.
One other thing, the person who owns the machine reported that player 2 does not "score" properly. I bet it too is the 1000's reel and something is telling me it's in the Player Unit associated with the cams in back of the stepper unit.

#4 2 years ago

You are correct, it is the Player Unit, score reel reset is done through it. Do you have the manual for Solar City? The cams are all identified there.

If I remember correctly, Solar City has 5 cams in the Player Unit. The middle one is P3 and for the switch IDs, they start at A on the switch closest to the cam and up from there.

Did you check that the 1st Thousands Runout switch is not opening too early?

Alberto

#5 2 years ago

One more question, is the reset issue on Player 1 and the scoring issue on Player 2?

#6 2 years ago

I just experienced a weird (to me) problem on my score reels. Someone had cleaned/rebuilt them, and installed one of the wipers incorrectly. (There's a tit that the wiper has to sit on). Keep that in mind as you travel down the troubleshooting road.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I just experienced a weird (to me) problem on my score reels. Someone had cleaned/rebuilt them, and installed one of the wipers incorrectly. (There's a tit that the wiper has to sit on). Keep that in mind as you travel down the troubleshooting road.

There's a photo at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replay-scores-not-working-right#post-6866960

/Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solar-city-score-reel-real-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.