(Topic ID: 227941)

Solar City Bonus Count Slow and Scoring Too Much.

By dpapclare

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dpapclare
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Solar City Add Bonus Unit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpapclare.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi there, I just recently picked up a sharp looking Solar City but there is an issue with the bonus count. For every spin of the score motor, it counts one drop target and awards 5-6 thousand per drop target. It takes about 30 seconds to go through the whole process. I have seen on a few videos that the machine is supposed to be collecting it much faster and only awarding 1000 per drop target (as it should). So it seems to me as if it something is almost backwards by awading 5-6k per target and counting only one per rotation instead of 1k per target and counting 5 targets per rotation. I have linked a video of what seems to be a normal bonus collect and also posted a video of how mine is actine. Any information on what could be the issue would be great to have. Thanks! I also don't have a schematic so which maes it more frustrating.

How it should be:

How mine is:

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

In your video one can count the 15 steps on the Bonus Unit as it is clicking along, could be a bit quicker, but it sounds similar to my Solar City.
The top video has a pin which could be set to "high tap".
Chances are you are going to need a schematic soon.

I understand it is counting the correct amount on the stepper, but why only one target and 5000 points per target? I will be ordering one soon. It'll take forever to get to Canada though

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Can you help narrow the problem by checking if the same miss count happens on player 2 as well?
If the player 2 acts the same way as Player 1, then the problem will be 1000 point relay, bonus relay, contacts on the score motor, DX Relay, Score Control Relays 'C' and or 'D', etc.
In your video the game seems to award 6,000 points for each downed target.

The same issues occur on both player one and player two, I only saw one setting for 3-5 ball under the playfield. It is set to three ball and that all works fine. Everything on the machine seems to be fine except for the bonus count being so high. Again, it just seems as if something is inverted. Awarding 5k per drop and counting one drop per rotation of the score motor instead of 1k per drop and 5 drop targets per rotation of the score motor.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I think the way the Bonus Unit should work normally is that it selects each of the 15 targets one at a time and awards 1k points if the target is down. Evaluating 15 targets should take three 120 degree cycles of the score motor as shown in the 1st video above. Here are the relevant bits of the schematic:
[quoted image]
The score motor 4A switch should generate 5 pulses per 120 degrees which should advance the Bonus Unit 5 steps. It sounds like yours is only stepping once per 120 degree cycle so even though the Bonus Unit isn't stepping, the part of the circuit that's adding points (by firing the 1k point relay) is clipping along at 5 times per 120 degrees. So each dropped target is seen and counted 5 times since the 1k relay assumes that the Bonus Unit has moved on to the next target.
Since your Bonus Unit is stepping at all the G/Bonus Score Control relay switch is probably closed so it seems more likely that on your game the K/Double Bonus relay switch isn't closing. It is also possible that the G relay isn't staying closed but is instead turning on and off while the bonus is being counted.
/Mark

Thank you for the great information! I will take a look at both the K relay and the G relay and see if they are working properly and get back to you with my findings!

#10 5 years ago

I'll take a look thanks!

2 weeks later
#11 5 years ago

So I checked the G relay and it was working properly. I then moved on to the K relay and that was also working normally as well. So I moved on to the score motor and cleaned/adjusted the switches on bank 4. I also cleaned and adjusted switch bank 3 on the score motor and after doing both switch banks the bonus is collecting normally and at the same pace as the video above. It is also scoring properly too. Thanks for everyone's help! Makes the game far more fun when you know everything is working properly. Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpapclare.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solar-city-bonus-count-slow-and-scoring-too-much-?tu=dpapclare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.