FF153F04-4ABF-469E-A3C7-C1CAEA7BB24C (resized).jpeg
B079F154-8A91-4F4A-993B-A412D1A5FD70 (resized).jpeg
23C1410B-CA8A-4D22-A80B-6B5BF2C7068D (resized).jpeg
solar ciy (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20525DD0-C186-4AE0-8109-024EC38D5710 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

The Solar City I’m trying to fix is making it through step 8 of the Reset Cycle. The ball that is in the outhole kicks out, but the ball 1 light never turns on.

Initially I thought the issue was with the Q relay, but both the Game Over and the 1st Player Coin Lights work as expected. This should mean the M/B switch on Q is working correctly.

I think the player unit is in the wrong position after completing the Reset Cycle. The photo below is of the Player Unit after ball 1 gets kicked out onto the runway. If I actuate the Player Unit by hand, I can get it to a spot where Player 1 is active and the Ball 1 light is on. If I then play a ball and let it drain, the machine gets stuck in a score motor loop.

Thanks

Alberto

20525DD0-C186-4AE0-8109-024EC38D5710 (resized).jpeg20525DD0-C186-4AE0-8109-024EC38D5710 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

As the ball kicks over, it rolls over the Trough switch which should activate the Add Player Unit relay (P)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

It looks like the part with the pins and springs is upside down. the arm with a single pin/spring should be on top and the arm with two pins/spings should be on the bottom.

solar ciy (resized).jpgsolar ciy (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

@argosysk, thanks! That was it! The Player Unit was backwards. Now onto the next issue, my Bonus Unit only counts to 9.

#5 2 years ago

The Bonus Unit on this machine only makes it to 9, not 15. There is a physical stop under the gear that will not let the bonus unit count all the way to 15.

First photo is the starting position of the Bonus Unit. The second photo is as far as it gets before it hits the mechanical stop.

23C1410B-CA8A-4D22-A80B-6B5BF2C7068D (resized).jpeg23C1410B-CA8A-4D22-A80B-6B5BF2C7068D (resized).jpegB079F154-8A91-4F4A-993B-A412D1A5FD70 (resized).jpegB079F154-8A91-4F4A-993B-A412D1A5FD70 (resized).jpeg
#6 2 years ago

Can you talk a picture of the opposite side. (both positions as above)

#7 2 years ago

The first photo is the final position when it hits that physical stop. The second photo is the initial position. The bonus unit is trying to finish counting to 15 and it can’t.

00CE3589-00A3-4C62-8B14-A99E378C4FAD (resized).jpeg00CE3589-00A3-4C62-8B14-A99E378C4FAD (resized).jpegFF153F04-4ABF-469E-A3C7-C1CAEA7BB24C (resized).jpegFF153F04-4ABF-469E-A3C7-C1CAEA7BB24C (resized).jpeg
#8 2 years ago

The bonus unit contact, that should close at initial position, looks like always closed and might need some adjustment. But first make sure the switch stack screws are tight.

#9 2 years ago

Was the unit recently cleaned?

I am wondering if the spring is too tight.
Can you unwind in one turn? (You may have to move the switch stack out of the way)

Or there is is stop on the underside of the gear and the gear need to be re-positioned so the stop is on the other side.

#10 2 years ago

you're missing the white tubular switch lifter on the switch blade and your ratchet is installed incorrectly.

the length of the switch lifter is critical for reliable operation ... too short and you won't be able to adjust the switches correctly (don't ask how I know that).

you should be able to hold in the reset coil plunger, spin the ratchet counter-clockwise and when you let go, it whizzes back to the stop bracket argosysk mentioned and stops. The pin on the ratchet only pushes the switch blades when the unit is stepped up to the top step (15 steps counter-clockwise).

below is blibb's pic from another solar city topic showing the ratchet in the unit reset position.

if ya get a chance, can you post a picture of the score motor? Either the timing diagram on the schematic for switch 4D is wrong or I have an odd score motor configuration on a solar city.
solar city bonus ratchet (resized).jpgsolar city bonus ratchet (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

Stepper now works properly but the count is slow. Thanks for all the help with this. Plenty of posts here on the slow bonus sweep, lots to debug.

Alberto

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

you're missing the white tubular switch lifter on the switch blade and your ratchet is installed incorrectly.
the length of the switch lifter is critical for reliable operation ... too short and you won't be able to adjust the switches correctly (don't ask how I know that).
you should be able to hold in the reset coil plunger, spin the ratchet counter-clockwise and when you let go, it whizzes back to the stop bracket argosysk mentioned and stops. The pin on the ratchet only pushes the switch blades when the unit is stepped up to the top step (15 steps counter-clockwise).
below is blibb's pic from another solar city topic showing the ratchet in the unit reset position.
if ya get a chance, can you post a picture of the score motor? Either the timing diagram on the schematic for switch 4D is wrong or I have an odd score motor configuration on a solar city.
[quoted image]

Quoted from Peruman:

Stepper now works properly but the count is slow. Thanks for all the help with this. Plenty of posts here on the slow bonus sweep, lots to debug.
Alberto

Congratulations Alberto! You're one step closer. The slow count is exactly the issue I was dealing with, so follow baldtwit 's advice for me, and you should end up with a machine gun stepper as well. The game is so much better with fast, accurate, scoring.

#13 2 years ago

for slow bonus count:

1] the G relay needs to stay powered the entire time the bonus unit is stepping. If it is powering/unpowering, you'll miss pulses and the stepping will be irregular.

2] score motor 4D provides one pulse per score motor cycle (120 degrees). Score motor 4A provides 5 more during the cycle. If 4A not working, you get a regular but slow bonus step-up.

3] K relay switch with GR-YEL and BLK+RED wires needs to be closed unless you are scoring double bonus. K relay should only power when scoring double bonus.

2 months later
#14 2 years ago

baldtwit and blibb

Thanks for all your help on this. The bonus scoring issue is resolved, it was switch 4A which was dirty.

Now I can deal with all of the intermittent issues:

Sometimes when the ball goes from the outhole to the shooter lane, the game will award a random number of points.

During the rest cycle, Player 1 score does not always reset, but the game starts.

In a single player game, after the last ball, game goes to Player 2, not game over.

Score reels reset to all 0’s during gameplay but game continues to play

My plan is to pull the power board so I can have access to all the switches on it. I can check all of them and clean/adjust if needed

Alberto

#15 2 years ago

One more question on this game. The drop target banks are very loud when they reset. Not having worked on a drop-target game, is this normal?

I already cleaned both drop target banks.

#16 2 years ago

the thunk as those 120V coils operate is pretty noticeable. It's better when the game is closed up, but if it's the only thing in the room making noise, you'll hear it every time.

if the mechanism is rattling tho, you may have broken torsion springs on the bar the plungers operate.

#17 2 years ago

It’s just a “think”, guess I’m not used to it. The game is also wide open.

Thanks

Alberto

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solar-city-ball-1-5-lights-not-working?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.