New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 96585)

Solar city

By Petermunro

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Petermunro
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SolarCity.JPG
EndingSwitchPosition.JPG
StartingSwitchPosition.JPG
EndingRivetPosition.JPG
StartingRivetPosition.JPG
StartingScrewPosition.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Every now and then when the ball lands on the runway,i loose all power to flippers and scoring,its as though its in game over mode,i then let the ball drain and its back to normal for the next ball and it plays as it should,this problem happens every now and then and could happen at any stage during the game,is there a contact i should be checking,if so any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#2 6 years ago

Perhaps the AX or Q relay. Switches on those can cut off power to the playfield (including the flippers).

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Perhaps the AX or Q relay. Switches on those can cut off power to the playfield (including the flippers).

Definitely sounds like one of the switches is gaped to close, thus the intermittent problem. Most likely a make/break switch which is always a challenge to gap it right, then have it stay that way for more than a couple games.

Ken

#4 6 years ago

Cleaned and made a small adjustment to ax and q relay,problem fixed,thanks for the advice.Two other minor problems to get it going 100 percent are when it goes through the bonus cycle no points are awarded for the last drop target,contacts and wiring look good,the only thing i can see is the last rivet is loose compared to the rest,could that be the problem also ball kicker labours at times to get ball onto runway,what should i look for there. Thank you peter.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Petermunro:

he only thing i can see is the last rivet is loose compared to the rest,could that be the problem

Could be, yes.

Quoted from Petermunro:

ball kicker labours at times to get ball onto runway,what should i look for there.

Aim on the outhole kicker, spring on the outhole kicker, ball not sitting fully on the kicker, gunked up kicker mech, wrong coil are all possibilities.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Petermunro:

when it goes through the bonus cycle no points are awarded for the last drop target

Check your alignment of your showshoes to your bakelight rivet disk. Generally, your three screws for alignment should be roughly in the middle of your alignment slots. If you are off to one side, it will "look" right with how the rivets and snowshoes align, but it is actually wrong. IIRC, when it is lined up right, it will look wrong, but work correctly. I have done two of these in the last 6 months. I am totally speaking from experience on this.

#7 6 years ago

My alignment screws are well off centre to make contact with rivets,i moved them to near centre but they dont make contact with rivets hence no score,with the way its aligned now all rivets except for the last drop target score during bonus cycle,my bonus cycle goes off like a machine gun,i dont know if thats normal, thanks for the replies. Peter.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Petermunro:

My alignment screws are well off centre to make contact with rivets,i

This is likely wrong.

Quoted from Petermunro:

,i moved them to near centre but they dont make contact with rivets hence no score

They need to be adjusted slightly left or right to line up with the rivets while close to the center position.

Set up your stepper as follows:
1. Put your screws close to the center of the slots, like this. Only lightly screw it on, so you can still move it.StartingScrewPosition.JPG
2. Manually activate the reset coil. This is the one closest to the playfield, with the bakelite link.
3. Align your followers to the rivet as shown below. NOTE: YOU ARE ON THE SECOND RIVET.
StartingRivetPosition.JPG
Note in the above picture, this is not completely centered on the starting rivet. Begin by centering it, but you may need to cheat it to be sure it stops on every rivet.
4. Now, step the stepper using the count up plunger. The other coil on the unit. Check at every position to see that it is on a rivet. You may not end up totally centered on every rivet, but you need to have good contact with each one.
5. When you get to 15 steps, your last position should look like this:
EndingRivetPosition.JPG
6. Adjust as required to get this to happen.

You are now half done. Now you need to adjust the switch stack and make sure it is right. This is by far the biggest pain in the ass, making an AX relay look like child's play.

When you are in the reset (or 1-14 position for that matter) your switch stack should look like this:
StartingSwitchPosition.JPG

Note that the far left and far right switches are closed. The middle switch is open.

When you get to position 15, your stack should look like this:
EndingSwitchPosition.JPG

Note that the middle switch is closed and the far left and far right are open.

IF all this is set up right, you should get 15 bonus counts and it should fire off like a machine gun. Do anything wrong and you will miss bonus counts or the unit will fire very slowly.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I have done two of these in the last 6 months. I am totally speaking from experience on this.

As a follow on to this. I made this mistake back in December and it took me a while to figure it out. Then, I had a brain fart and repeated the mistake again in June. But this time, I quickly corrected it. So, now I have two Target Alphas set up as described above.

On another, related note. Part of the reason that the switch stack is such a PIA to get right is that the adjustment of one blade will affect the others, since they are all in one stack. Plus, it is very difficult to see the stack in the machine. These pictures were taken with the PF out of the machine. You may want to try that.

I don't know if you pay any attention to Tech EM posts here or on RGP, but Target Alpha/Solar City posts seem to be in the number one spot by a fair margin. These were popular machines to be sure, but I feel more of it has to do with how complicated the controls got to include extra features etc., The machine gun bonus/double bonus is one example. Additionally, you have the fun of the AX relay and all 4 sets of score reels. Joy.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for the photos,all switch blades are good and feet cross the centre of all rivets but still have original problem,bonus scores on 1st 14 rivets but not on the last one,im guessing its not getting the message to score through a loose connection some where.Seen your machine on another site,how do i get my bumpers to fire like yours without pulling them completely apart. Thanks peter

#11 6 years ago

There is 15 rivets on the inside and 16 on the outside,just double checking that the outside feet start on the first outside rivet leaving 15 rivets to go. Thanks peter.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Petermunro:

feet start on the first outside rivet leaving 15 rivets to go. Thanks peter.

Nope, see step #3 and the photo below it. Note that you are starting on the second rivet.

Quoted from Petermunro:

Seen your machine on another site,how do i get my bumpers to fire like yours without pulling them completely apart.

I completely rebuild every mechanism, including the pop bumpers when I do a rebuild. On the machine you are talking about, I think I replace the coil sleeves, one rod/ring assembly, both bumper skirts and both lamp sockets. I also cleaned and adjusted the spoon and EOS switches. Without taking it completely apart, you could get 90% of the benefit in performance by rebuilding the lower part - the new coil sleeves, and switch adjustment. If you have a broken part, like the rod/ring assembly it would need to come all the way off. It really isn't that big a deal.

#13 6 years ago

The other thing is you can maybe flow some solder into the loose rivet to see if that helps, or try to peen it tight if you pull the mechanism apart. I doubt that is your issue, but if you need to prove it to yourself, that might be something to try. The right way to do it is to replace the rivet. I did that on a few rivets and need to post it to pinwiki. I thought I was going to have to replace about 15 rivets, then I discovered I had a "spare" TA bonus unit I had bought off flea bay about 5 years ago. Who wouldda thought. Hoarders. Gotta love 'em.

#14 6 years ago

For bonus to finish on last outside rivet my feet have to begin on first rivet,what function does the first rivet serve if you dont start on it . Thanks peter

#15 6 years ago

Here is a schematic of a Solar City. I verified in this area of the schematic it is the same as a Target Alpha.

SolarCity.JPG

Note, the 0 position of the follower is on the YELLOW wire. Note that in my picture, my first position is on the Yellow wire as well. This is the second rivet.

I don't know for sure what the black/yellow wire does. I can't find it on the schematic and I have no reason to, as my game is working great.

Since you are having trouble believing this is correct, perhaps somebody else can weigh in on it and let you know where the stepper begins and ends. Thanks.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Petermunro:

For bonus to finish on last outside rivet my feet have to begin on first rivet,what function does the first rivet serve if you dont start on it . Thanks peter

Post some pictures of your setup.

#17 6 years ago

Bingo,adjusted mech to start on second rivet,now all rivets score as they should,blaming previous owner,thanks very much for your advice and photos. Peter.

#18 6 years ago

One last question.,at game over does leg rest on last inside rivet or finish one step past that which mine does now,noticed yours has drag mark past last rivet,last rivet is scoring correctly most of the time,its showing that it will score but is tempremental.

1 month later
#19 6 years ago

Dirtflipper if your about,on double bonus the first drop target is scoring 4000 instead of 2000, all other scoring is fine on single and double bonus, any thoughts there also what switch or relay locks on bonus score relay for the bonus count as you said bonus score relay should stay locked for duration of bonus cycle,mine is off and on. I need to know what activates bonus score relay. Thanks peter.

1 month later
#20 6 years ago

My pin wont register 100 points or multiples of 100,if i hit the pop bumper,drop target or roll guides no score is given,all the other scoring works fine as in the1000s and tens score as it should, the 100s relay works fine if i hold it down,what triggers this relay any help would be appreciated

#21 6 years ago

So the M relay doesn't activate at all on its own?

Does it activate when the 10's rollover from 9?

If it's not activating at all, then the first thing to check is the coil itself.

#22 6 years ago

Im going to replace the coil,on one side of the lugs there is 2 wires intertwined and soldered on and another wire soldered on to the same lug,do those wires have to be soldered on to the same lug seperately or can the three wires be soldered on together in one mass. Thanks

#23 6 years ago

My mistake,two wires intertwined came off leaf switch not coil lug, im sure new coil will fix my original problem, thanks peter.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 49.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 139.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 103.00
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 6,599.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 36.99
Playfield - Other
Pinball Stuff
$ 6.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 25.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside