(Topic ID: 201949)

So........I bought a Fire Truck! What crazy things have you bought?

By Grateful_Pin

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 202 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Sarge
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171203_164737 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
E7299CDE-3971-4C0A-83ED-8032C09ABF43 (resized).jpeg
C32A5C4A-A55C-49B6-BFFA-C3345CE41073 (resized).jpeg
CC0181A0-307C-446B-8A53-AB2338B1ACB5 (resized).jpeg
6D45B954-BA80-42AD-9D3F-F110443E441A (resized).jpeg
A38339C1-780D-4A2F-9D6B-15090C78C067 (resized).jpeg
09CF7B1F-C0BF-4DA0-956D-78E4876EC1D1 (resized).jpeg
20170101_190755~2 (resized).jpg
C57AF570-6678-471A-9829-284F8E019832 (resized).jpeg
16245A3C-59B1-447E-A95E-1526A2ECB360 (resized).jpeg
99EE5E49-CE47-4F2C-9C11-1C94DD4EC51C (resized).png
4f365bae-1fae-41ab-9262-bf40f00ea131_fullsize (resized).jpg
A162621A-E98C-41F8-A035-472504951488 (resized).png
1361BB20-8BFF-41A5-BCE5-4284535AD87E (resized).png
99CB5178-762C-4D14-863A-1BEEA0C157CA (resized).jpeg

There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

I've been out of my Dental office for a week with intense shooting pain radiating down my right leg. ER visit last Friday, Orthopedic Surgeon Monday, MRI Wednesday and epidural injection on Thursday......joy.
But this gave me a lot of time at home to reflect, think, dream, lie around in bed uncomfortably, spend way to much time on my laptop and google/craigslist/etc...., with the enhancements of Gabapentin and Vicodin And now I own a Fire Truck!

I'm Going to use it to market my dental practice: Vinyl wrap, new logo and website design, lots of customization ideas: met with Crutchfield today to begin audio/video mods, tailgate mods.... We'll landscape and stage it right next to my building and take it to everything: parades, events, 3 local college tailgates, schools businesses, etc..

What crazy things have you bought????????

P.S. Some one sell me a minty/restored Williams Fire! or Fire! Champagne Edition to put in my office and share pinball with my team and patients!
Really sell me one please...the themes not complete until I put one in my office. And I get to play pinball at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0047 (resized).PNGIMG_0047 (resized).PNG

#2 6 years ago

Holy crap that’s so cool.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks. 1995 Mack. 26,000 miles. $18,000

EFAA88FD-0AFE-4A27-B359-3A99C63C568A (resized).jpegEFAA88FD-0AFE-4A27-B359-3A99C63C568A (resized).jpeg

7B5BFB7C-8FB1-400E-BB88-6D1120AF9CA8 (resized).jpeg7B5BFB7C-8FB1-400E-BB88-6D1120AF9CA8 (resized).jpeg

16CBCBB1-D308-4DBC-B83F-7BF383F11C1A (resized).jpeg16CBCBB1-D308-4DBC-B83F-7BF383F11C1A (resized).jpeg

817C9BED-4323-4B4A-B8BC-848CFBEB5D2B (resized).jpeg817C9BED-4323-4B4A-B8BC-848CFBEB5D2B (resized).jpeg

#4 6 years ago

A mechanical bull

#5 6 years ago

A Bally El Toro.

#6 6 years ago

Cactus Canyon.

#7 6 years ago

I'm not entirely sure how fire trucks and dentistry go together, but that's cool as shit! All things considered the price seems reasonable as well.

When you came down from the amazing high that led you to buy this what were your initial feelings once you fully grasped that you bought a fire truck?

#8 6 years ago

Now I just have to get my CDL license asap because I won’t be able to stand not being able to drive it

BE3D9CDD-D799-4192-92ED-45A0CDA84E65 (resized).jpegBE3D9CDD-D799-4192-92ED-45A0CDA84E65 (resized).jpeg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

A mechanical bull

I'm failing to see how this was a ridiculous purchase.

#10 6 years ago

I spent an hour an a half on video chat with my marketing company in Chicago yesterday telling them of my purchase...

Thankfully they dig it and are extatic with the possibilities. What’s the worst that can happen.....that I own a fire truck
I spent $40,000 running commercials for a year in the past. Now that’s a crazy purchase

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Grateful_Pin:

Now I just have to get my CDL license asap because I won’t be able to stand not being able to drive it

Not sure if I’m not sleeping much from pain, meds , Or continual need to wake up and write down ideas racing in my mind of how to market and have fun with it then pull up a pic of my new truck on my phone and smile. Really though I’m all in. Dentistry’s a grind but my team, patients and I have fun everyday. I’m excited for a change after 15 years in practice

#12 6 years ago

... now I own a Fire Truck!

Very cool - congrats! Good luck on your hunt for a Williams Fire.

The craziest thing I've bought is 6 gazillion pinball machines. According to some people anyway.

#13 6 years ago
#14 6 years ago

you asked what crazy things I bought and own....

#15 6 years ago

Hah! This is too cool.

#16 6 years ago

Hahaha That first post cracks me up!!!! On a different level, I completely understand! haha I've bought and sold stuff while I was on pain meds in the past..Or while drinking.....It just makes you happy and generous!

Dude!!!! That's awesome!!!!

I can't even compare! I've never been in the position to buy a Fire truck! But If I ever was? I'm sure I would!

Too funny!!! Awesome though!! And would be awesome advertisement!

#17 6 years ago

Snowmobiles in the Midwest where we have no snow.

At least the last 2 years and when we do it doesn't last long.

#18 6 years ago

A three wheel kit car.

IMG_0497 (resized).JPGIMG_0497 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

I also bought during my malaise these Barbie dolls on LetGo and will design a cool topper with haunted trees and Yellow brick road

D4F41B8F-9192-4EF5-AD2A-9FF0A6541172 (resized).jpegD4F41B8F-9192-4EF5-AD2A-9FF0A6541172 (resized).jpeg

#20 6 years ago

I always wanted to buy a fire truck! That’s great that you did! Craziest thing bought? A Tug MA-50 aircraft baggage tractor.

#21 6 years ago

Holy hell that is awesome. You know how much time you are gonna save in rush hour traffic?!

#22 6 years ago

So jealous! Almost got a 1956 American Lafrance yellow fire truck 3 years ago. Was going to turn it into "Fire Dogs" food truck. Couldn't get title for it, so idea was burned down.
Congrats, i have a Fire for sale but your to far.

#23 6 years ago

One year, drove it the length of Woodward down to Belle Isle and drove it around the Indy Car race track while they were setting it up. Then went over to Lafayette coney island and had a couple dogs.

IMG_0604 (resized).JPGIMG_0604 (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago

Also. Are you sure you need a commercial license to drive that?
https://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/cdl-faqs.php

#25 6 years ago

I'm still trying to think of something crazy I've bought.....Nothing that compares to the Fire truck! My wife is sitting here laughing....She said "Yep...If you had the cash that would be you!"

I did get a "Track Bike" to motorcycle race. You know, where they drag their knee....It sat in my garage, I started it a few times, it sat in storage for years, I just sold it last spring. I NEVER even rode the thing around the block. looked cool though!!!

I'm getting older and it scared the hell out of me. I'm not 20 anymore!

But it was cool as hell! People would walk in the garage and say "coool!!! You have a race bike" ......Ya but I never told them it even scared me to ride.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from mswhat:

Also. Are you sure you need a commercial license to drive that?
https://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/cdl-faqs.php

Unfortunately yes. Limit is 26,000gws and mines 33,000. My friend is the Fire Chief and said the fire truck exemption is only when used for emergency use. Hope he’s wrong but I doubt it.
My best friend is the Police Chief of a local town as well so I’ll exploit both friendships with mutual projects and opportunities

#27 6 years ago

I bought one just like it but it said Tanka on the back.

That's AWESOME!
faz

#28 6 years ago

CDL license asap because I won’t be able to stand not being able to drive it

Does it have Air Brakes? Air Brakes in your state may require an additional endorsement.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

you asked what crazy things I bought and own....

Hey man, I got it.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Does it have Air Brakes? Air Brakes in your state may require an additional endorsement.

Yes. Air brakes. Adds a component to the regular class B CDL so more to study. I’m going Monday to pick up the CDL book.
Buddy with CDL is going with me to PA next Friday to pick it up.

#31 6 years ago

Bensen Gyro-Copter

WTF was I thinking...

IMG_0163001 (resized).jpegIMG_0163001 (resized).jpeg

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

Bensen Gyro-Copter
WTF was I thinking...

That looks fun!!!

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

Bensen Gyro-Copter
WTF was I thinking...

I have wanted a gyro copter ever since mad max came out. You got a flat tire.

#34 6 years ago

I bought this. Sold it 8 years later.

1262881_665566100133944_1494110458_o (resized).jpg1262881_665566100133944_1494110458_o (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I have wanted a gyro copter ever since mad max came out. You got a flat tire.

"Where we are going, we dont need TIRES"

#36 6 years ago

An engagement ring! Been married almost 22 years now. Coulda killed her and been out by now and a true “free man”!

#37 6 years ago

I wanted to do Route66 in a Fire Truck or an Ambulance, Chicago to LA, and then ship the vehicle back to New Zealand.

Unfortunately I discovered that I couldn’t register a USA truck in NZ, so I settled on a hearse for the 4500 mile trip instead.

rd

39B275E6-6E0A-43EE-B289-7C6F95904FED (resized).jpeg39B275E6-6E0A-43EE-B289-7C6F95904FED (resized).jpeg

#38 6 years ago

Ok so not the craziest but this thing is on the list.... and no mine didn't look like the one in the picture it literally was rotted and falling apart, everything rusty and possible rodents lived inside
I think I felt bad for the poor guy stuck with it and I actually paid for it and relieved his burden
True Story
I ended up trading it for a vintage stuffed toy monkey and he's still with me!

10437014_1 (resized).jpg10437014_1 (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago

I bought an engagement ring once. No doubt the dumbest purchase I ever made.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from rollinover:

Ok so not the craziest but this thing is on the list.... and no mine didn't look like the one in the picture it literally was rotted and falling apart, everything rusty and possible rodents lived inside
I think I felt bad for the poor guy stuck with it and I actually paid for it and relieved his burden
True Story
I ended up trading it for a vintage stuffed toy monkey and he's still with me!

Well...let’s see picks of the toy monkey!

#41 6 years ago

With you on the hearse!
When I got my license at 16,
We wanted a van, stranger thing, Scooby doo
type party van for Florida.
No air-conditioning in the back, at that time.
Only thing was a hearse.
Chipped in for a friend who turned a hearse,
into a beach runner, kept the beer cold, as drinking and driving was an encouraged sport then.
Craziest thing I bought was a hot tub in Florida,
and a rare dinosaur skin fossil.
Tubs gone, dino is still cool.

Edit sold engagement rings for 40 years.Always felt bad for the guys....

#42 6 years ago

I just remembered a few other dumb purchases....

When I lived at home with my Dad.....I had a little money in my pocket. A guy was selling a 29ft(or something like that) travco motor home. It was $1200. Of course I had to have it! I had visions of a rolling party house! Of course I looked past everything else! Finally got it home...It wouldn't fit down the driveway between the house and a tree. Stored it for a while and had to unload it on someone else with big dreams.

Was on a construction site...A guy couldn't get a huge scissors lift running right. I was on the same job and heard him say "I'd take $400 for this right now." Well!!!! Hey!! I have 400 bucks!!!

Big thing, old dry rotted tires, only two of the hydraulic drive motors worked. I borrowed a car trailer....Pulled it on the trailer and flattened it into the axles. Had to get a friend rent and bring a real trailer to move the thing......We went straight to the scrap yard with it since I couldn't move it on my own. Lost money on that deal by the time said and done and only had it for a couple days....

added.......Holy cow!! This thread and I'm banging my head knowing I've made some odd purchases!!!! The paperwork for the biggest one of my life is next to me!!!!!!!! I bought 40 acres of lake front property where the land is expensive!!! Like 60 thousand a lot..... So, I stole this at $2500 an acre!!!!? So, I thought........I've had it since around 05 and still haven't gotten a legal way in yet! It's land locked!

I was going to make huge money on that deal!!! And most realtors won't even touch it with no legal access. Maybe? I'll get it one day!

#43 6 years ago

I guess it was back in the late 80's, a buddy of mine was making extra money w/ a side job selling firewood.
So, we decided to increase production.
We came across a used motor driven, hydraulic operated, trailer mounted log splitter unit. Had a small 4-cyl car motor mounted on it.
It worked for a while, split a lot of logs, then at some point the hydr pump stopped working.
Eventually we figured out were to get pump parts for it.
Got it fixed, back up running, split a bunch more logs.
At some point I lost interest, and it sat for a year or two, then gave it to a friend of the family.

It looked a lot like this pic I found online, but ours had a longer trailer frame with the 4-cyl motor mounted on it also.
log_splitter-hydr_oper (resized).jpglog_splitter-hydr_oper (resized).jpg

#44 6 years ago

Went backcountry fly fishing on horseback in Wyoming in 2001. Pluto was my trusted steed and saved my life crossing a raging river one morning. The outfitter let it slip that Pluto was being retired( sending to the dog food factory) after our trip. I bought him / delivered for $500. Good 'ol Pluto wouldn't move unless another horse was directly in front of him...... typical trail horse! He found a new home with a vet in Wisconsin. Wife happy.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I bought an engagement ring once. No doubt the dumbest purchase I ever made.

Me too. $1800 down the drain. I think Art owes me $5 for just being part of the conspiracy.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

When I got my license at 16,
We wanted a van, stranger thing, Scooby doo
type party van for Florida.

I thought that might be you.

IMG_2799 (resized).JPGIMG_2799 (resized).JPG

#46 6 years ago

<blockquote cite="#.Holy cow!! This thread and I'm banging my head knowing I've made some odd purchases!!!! The paperwork for the biggest one of my life is next to me!!!!!!!! I bought 40 acres of lake front property where the land is expensive!!! Like 60 thousand a lot..... So, I stole this at $2500 an acre!!!!? So, I thought........I've had it since around 05 and still haven't gotten a legal way in yet! It's land locked!
I was going to make huge money on that deal!!! And most realtors won't even touch it with no legal access. Maybe? I'll get it one day!

Go around to each of the surrounding property owners and tell them you would like to make a deal with them to access your property. Make them an offer and tell them it’s the highest one you make before you start accessing it by helicopter. Tell each one you have spoke to everyone around and it’s first come first serve deal.

Then...let the fun begin...Get a big chinook helicopter and fly in an out on a daily basis....take loads of tires in there and burn them causing black smoke and stink. Set up a loud speaker system and leave it blasting loud overnight, play North Korean propaganda soundtrack, in Korean and maybe some Muslim worship chant music....add a huge siren and have it set to go off every hour on the hour like a church bell....set off some dynamite charges big enough to rattle windows...fly low around the surrounding properties until one of them gets sick of the chopper and misc. noise and works an access deal for you. Haha!

#47 6 years ago

I think this would do it,.......

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I think this would do it,.......
» YouTube video

#49 6 years ago

Unfortunately yes. Limit is 26,000gws and mines 33,000. My friend is the Fire Chief and said the fire truck exemption is only when used for emergency use. Hope he’s wrong but I doubt it.
My best friend is the Police Chief of a local town as well so I’ll exploit both friendships with mutual projects and opportunities

When I first read your post last night, I wondered if you would be needing a CDL to actually drive that. I figured the GVWR would put you over that requirement.

Buying multiple pinball machine isn’t crazy? Most people don’t even own one.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

<blockquote cite="#.Holy cow!! This thread and I'm banging my head knowing I've made some odd purchases!!!! The paperwork for the biggest one of my life is next to me!!!!!!!! I bought 40 acres of lake front property where the land is expensive!!! Like 60 thousand a lot..... So, I stole this at $2500 an acre!!!!? So, I thought........I've had it since around 05 and still haven't gotten a legal way in yet! It's land locked!
Go around to each of the surrounding property owners and tell them you would like to make a deal with them to access your property. Make them an offer and tell them it’s the highest one you make before you start accessing it by helicopter. Tell each one you have spoke to everyone around and it’s first come first serve deal.
Then...let the fun begin...Get a big chinook helicopter and fly in an out on a daily basis....take loads of tires in there and burn them causing black smoke and stink. Set up a loud speaker system and leave it blasting loud overnight, play North Korean propaganda soundtrack, in Korean and maybe some Muslim worship chant music....add a huge siren and have it set to go off every hour on the hour like a church bell....set off some dynamite charges big enough to rattle windows...fly low around the surrounding properties until one of them gets sick of the chopper and misc. noise and works an access deal for you. Haha!

HAHA....If I could I would!

There is so much to this...But it comes down to...They can't keep me out. But If I want legal access on paper, it has to be fought in court and in the past few years I haven't had the money to play the game. So, we camp there until then. It's a game play from the couple surrounding owners, they are hoping we give up and sell cheap. We are the "outsiders".

I wish I could buy a bunch of crow cannons and set them to go off every 15 min. all over the place in every direction. And just let Death metal play on loud speakers 24 hours a day.

There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soi-bought-a-fire-truck-what-crazy-things-have-you-bought and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.