Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4540 (resized).JPG
70840829664__D47671D6-34AE-4B63-985E-8F04D1B60839 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
628x471 (resized).jpg
304871566_1931368553920986_6118019157589108598_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Templewd:

Any chance to change the call outs from robotic to more normal sounding call outs?
I know memory is tight, but that’s what bugs me the most

Oof, harsh. That's the soul of the machine right there in that voice

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Lightning:
The ball locks again are an issue. I like keeping the pf multiplier once down to one ball, but it should be prevented from advancing further imo. In other words, if you get it to 3x in multiball, keep 3x in single ball play but don't allow advancement to 4x. Maybe even the 3x slowly fades to 2x and then slowly back to 1x (probably too much programming for this )
Thanks! -Joe

I like this idea of the 'fading' score multiplier after multiball a lot: reminds me of Doctor Who. Something like 10-20 seconds per playfield X, until it reaches 1X again.

The transition between two multiplier levels could use a sound effect though, so the player hears that his multiplier level has changed. Not sure if that is a possibility. Could be a single sound effect at the moment of change or maybe the voice that counts down the last 5 seconds that a multiplier is active. Or a combination of the two. That might be too much, though.

slochar Do the sound roms have any (unused?) sounds on them that might be appropriate to incorporate?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

There's no sound roms on the sb-300 the data is all stored in the game roms. (There are voice roms on the vsu100).

Ahhh gotcha. I knew that. Once. Sorry.

Quoted from slochar:

I can probably transplant a sound from another game to indicate it though....

Very cool option! But for this instance, I don't think you'll need to. There's a a nice, subtle sound effect already in the game that I think might be appropriate. It's used 7 times in a row after Valhalla Time is over, right in between the voice call 'Valhalla Time Over' and the bonus count. One instance of that sound effect every time a playfield X drops can be a subtle indicator of that happening. Maybe in combination with the '10 seconds left' voice call 10 seconds before it happens.

Curious to know what you think.

#17 2 years ago

To clarify: in my head, the sequence now goes something like this.
A. Multiball ends (possible with a sound effect indicating that) with (for instance) 4X Playfield lit
B. A 20 second timer starts immediately (only inside the machine or also visually, on the playfield display, like in Valhalla Time)
C. At 10 seconds, the machine says '10 seconds left'
D. At 0 seconds, the sound effect from my previous post sounds, and the playfield X goes to 3X.
E. Repeat from B until 1X Playfield.

Or, if 20 seconds per Playfield X is too long, change that to 10 seconds per value, so it becomes:
A. Multiball ends
B. A 10 second timer starts immediately
C. At 5 seconds, the machine says '5 seconds left' (If this is possible. Not sure if the '10 seconds left' is one single effect or a combination of '10' and 'seconds left')
D. At 0 seconds, the sound effect from my previous post sounds, and the playfield X goes to 3X.
E. Repeat from B until 1X playfield.

Please know that I like to think conceptually and am definitely not a coder. It could very well be that my thoughts are not technically achievable on these basic machines.

10 months later
#47 1 year ago

That's great news! I'm copy/pasting the info to the Lightning club

3 weeks later
#66 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Weebly sent me the corrected rom chip, also with Lightning v22, I'm trying out the new multiball logic. New rule 4 doesn't seem to be in effect, pf X loop is remaining active when multiball ends and only one ball left in play. But I had zero issue with that existing rule anyway. Starting multiball with no locked balls still lights pf X as before as well which I think is good, you're not getting 'ripped off'. Multiballs are now guaranteed to make it to the lower playfield instead of relocking, so scores should definitely go up, more pf X's etc. But starting multiball is not easy to begin with and it's a 7 digit game so no problem.
Thanks to barakandl and slochar for helping me get it up and running. NO MORE RELOCKS!
**Argh, was playing about my third game so of *course* one of my aftermarket drop targets snaps in half! Fortunately, just yesterday I was able to order a set of the stronger nylon tombstones from Australia that are not supposed to brick like these crummy hooded targets do. Sort of a bad timing/good timing thing.[quoted image]

Great to hear we have stable code without balls re-locking!

The playfield X loop remaining active when multiball ends and only one ball left in play and starting multiball with no locked balls still lighting playfield X is a personal preference thing, I guess. For me, it's not logical to have multiball rules while there isn't any multiball play.

Following general 'pinball logic' (and my personal preference), multiball rules should stop once multiball is over. For Lightning, that'd mean that the possibility to boost playfield X only exists in multiball play. However, the achieved playfield X during multiball can stay active for the remainder of that ball, also during single ball play.

I think it'd be cool to get a fairly high amount of points for making all standups during single ball play without any balls locked. Maybe accompanied by a distinctive sound effect once you've hit them all. Think of it as a single ball jackpot. This would make going for the standups without any balls locked a strategic goal. But, again: no playfield x boosting during single ball play, imho.

4 weeks later
#97 1 year ago

This alll sounds very cool! I wish I had a Lightning close-by to experience it on.

I understand that, after Multiball, the PFx now stays on until the end of the ball, correct?

Here's a thought to play with:
Would it add to gameplay if the PFx would slowly decrement once you're back in 1-ball play? Something like -1 PFx every 10 seconds, accompanied by a sound effect for every PFx that gets decremented?

This would make it worthwhile to go for Multiball again during that same ball.

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yeah, leaves it active. I put some stubs in the code for the pf x to fade, I might revisit this at some point. I don't know if people would notice/care? Lightning is in that era where rules depth was going from simple to 'what can we do with this?' deeper.

I mean, in the end the question is how much of your time you want to spend on this code. You've already put many free hours in it, which is amazing as it stands.

That being said, I do think the decrement of PFx would be the icing on the New Multiball Rules-cake for Lightning.

Reason 1: When it comes to 'pinball logic', it would make sense that playfield X is on a timer (or decrements per X seconds) when in 1-ball play. The machines with this feature that I can think of all have this. Doctor Who comes to mind as an excellent example.

Reason 2: It's more fair towards other players if you're playing multiplayer: the player that gets multiball will almost always win, because of the unlimited playfield X scores that can make his score so much higher, even in the 1-ball play that follows after multiball.

Reason 3: It gives the player that already achieved Multiball a reason to go for Multiball again during the same ball.

That, and the decrement of PFx just gives a very nice polish to the code, imho.

But again: it's your free time. So you are the boss!

#101 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I think that would be overboard. Already resets at end of ball (whereas bonus X doesn't), and now stops advancing when multiball is over. Start stealing what I already earned from the loop shot? Too much. If I didn't have to earn it, like how BK just gives it to you depending on how many balls are in play, that would be different. Too much like a penalty, I'd start wondering if the loop shot was even worth the trouble.

I don't see it as stealing: it would be a temporary award to start with. The decrement would be quite slow, and only start when Multiball is over.

But, in the end: different strokes!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 10.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 3.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/software-mods-for-classic-stern-games?tu=jappie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.