Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4540 (resized).JPG
70840829664__D47671D6-34AE-4B63-985E-8F04D1B60839 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
628x471 (resized).jpg
304871566_1931368553920986_6118019157589108598_n (resized).jpg
There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I think that would be overboard. Already resets at end of ball (whereas bonus X doesn't), and now stops advancing when multiball is over. Start stealing what I already earned from the loop shot? Too much. If I didn't have to earn it, like how BK just gives it to you depending on how many balls are in play, that would be different. Too much like a penalty, I'd start wondering if the loop shot was even worth the trouble.

I don't see it as stealing: it would be a temporary award to start with. The decrement would be quite slow, and only start when Multiball is over.

But, in the end: different strokes!

1 month later
#103 1 year ago

Coming soon.... 7 digit scoring for Ali (with the bell ding mod)
Also a /10 version.

The 7 digit scoring one would take 7 digit displays (see: https://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html for wiring, repeated below)

1) replace the four player 6-digit displays with 7-digit displays (we test it with orignal bally displays..)
2) Add an additional wire fom A4 (mpu) J1 Pin 7 to every player display pin 12 (for bally displays, don't connect the credit display !).
If you use 7-digit stern displays connect J1 pin 7 to every player display pin 11.

#104 1 year ago

Posted at http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/

ALI7-V03.ZIP - real seven digit displays required (will still work with 6 installed, you just won't see the 7th digit)

Incorporates the bell mod where the knocker fires once at the start of the ball, and three times at the end. You can add a real bell to the game to simulate boxing.

Please see the readme file for details on adding the real 7 digit displays, basically, one wire added to the display harness.

questions/concerns post here.

please post here as well if you put this in your machine and it works! I know this sounds funny, but I don't own an Ali so can only test in pinmame. The software boots and the displays are correct in my 7 digit modded Galaxy, so it should work fine in Ali, but no one knows this for sure until they try it out.

There was a lot of deprecated code from the factory concerning the dip 8 that the manual warns you to "keep off" (factory code, would not have mattered if it was on or not, the attract mode lamp thread turns it off electronically.... although if you started a game right after bootup, you would get the deprecated code running everywhere. Unknown what it does/what its intention was)

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

please post here as well if you put this in your machine and it works!

I'm in the process of reviving an Ali for a friend. I'll try and give the 7-digit mod a try.

I also have a Lightning coming in two days. If there's anything further you want tested on it let me know, though I think frenchmarky was happy with your last mod.

#106 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

I also have a Lightning coming in two days. If there's anything further you want tested on it let me know, though I think frenchmarky was happy with your last mod.

I was curious as to what happens what the ball gets popped out of the lock, Pretty sure the stock software handles that great. I didn't really change any of that for the mod but would like to know it is still resilient.

What a difference between 9 ball and flight 2000's ball handling, all the multiball games after those 2 are rock solid in the way their multiballs work. You don't get screwed if you relock a ball right as another is draining, and they're just really solid. The trough design with the vertical switches is a great design.

9 ball's was too convoluted, and flight 2000 was trying to be too clever. I haven't delved as deeply into the other ball walker games like iron maiden to see if they have the same issues as flight.

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Posted at http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/
ALI7-V03.ZIP - real seven digit displays required (will still work with 6 installed, you just won't see the 7th digit)
Incorporates the bell mod where the knocker fires once at the start of the ball, and three times at the end. You can add a real bell to the game to simulate boxing.
Please see the readme file for details on adding the real 7 digit displays, basically, one wire added to the display harness.
questions/concerns post here.
please post here as well if you put this in your machine and it works! I know this sounds funny, but I don't own an Ali so can only test in pinmame. The software boots and the displays are correct in my 7 digit modded Galaxy, so it should work fine in Ali, but no one knows this for sure until they try it out.
There was a lot of deprecated code from the factory concerning the dip 8 that the manual warns you to "keep off" (factory code, would not have mattered if it was on or not, the attract mode lamp thread turns it off electronically.... although if you started a game right after bootup, you would get the deprecated code running everywhere. Unknown what it does/what its intention was)

Thanks for doing this so quickly. As soon as I get it all installed, I'll report back here.

I had no idea this thread existed!

#108 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Quick question on this: I bought a 8" Belvin bell, same one they used in the 60s for his fights. I'm thinking I'm going to have to move the knocker & mount it to the inside rear panel of the cabinet, as the bell is pretty large. I don't think its going to fit along the side of the cabinet. Now I'm thinking I should just replace the knocker coil to a much larger/stronger one (perhaps the size used to reset the drop mechs), so I get the biggest sound possible.

#109 1 year ago

Stick with stock as I think you'd have trouble getting a fat plastic tip plunger.

#110 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I was curious as to what happens what the ball gets popped out of the lock, Pretty sure the stock software handles that great. I didn't really change any of that for the mod but would like to know it is still resilient.
What a difference between 9 ball and flight 2000's ball handling, all the multiball games after those 2 are rock solid in the way their multiballs work. You don't get screwed if you relock a ball right as another is draining, and they're just really solid. The trough design with the vertical switches is a great design.
9 ball's was too convoluted, and flight 2000 was trying to be too clever. I haven't delved as deeply into the other ball walker games like iron maiden to see if they have the same issues as flight.

By 'ball getting popped out of the lock' do you mean once in a while when you hit the center locked ball with another ball and it knocks it out of the hole? The game still handles that correctly as far as keeping track of all the balls.

I gotta really thank Slochar because... I've owned this game for 20 freakin' years and that's a hell of a long time to live with the stupid relocking balls. Last night I had a 2,500,000+ game for the first time, longest lasting and most fun game I ever played on it. I have mine set to 5 balls, extra balls for the yellow arrows and 100,000 for the specials (but still replays for the score levels except the first level set to give the 30 second bonus). I was actually exhausted when it was over, must have had a half dozen multiballs without the fun-killing relocks, plus a couple of the 1-ball multiballs where I had no balls locked yet. Funny thing is I still automatically think 'ugh' for a half-second when a multiball goes back into a lock because I'm so used to the old relocking code. I may try it for a while on 3 ball again later, where the bonus is saved ball to ball. Seriously that old relock code was the worst for something that isn't an actual bug.

I recently finished removing and releveling all the inserts using the UV window resin + mylar squares method and that helped too, they had gotten so horribly cupped since I bought the game that the playfield was playing like a cratered moonscape.

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

By 'ball getting popped out of the lock' do you mean once in a while when you hit the center locked ball with another ball and it knocks it out of the hole? The game still handles that correctly as far as keeping track of all the balls.

Yes, was just curious. I didn't think it would mess it up necessarily since that part of the code wasn't touched but good to have confirmation.

I didn't have the knowledge when I owned the game last to mod it, but 100% why I sold it was because of the relocking issue. I thought the game was cool otherwise. I used to have a spare BG and populated PF for it too, I've no idea what became of either, probably sold the BG to someone that needed it, but the PF? Dunno!

1 month later
#112 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

please post here as well if you put this in your machine and it works!

Hey @slochar, I finally tried the Ali V03 ROM update and here's some feedback.

Freeplay isn't actually working, i.e. when DIP switch 8 is on and credits are zero, you can't start a game.

There's some other issues which I'll email you about but I think it needs to be pulled from downloads for now.

#113 1 year ago

... and I see that Ali also has the annoying thing like meteor does after you play a game, it uses whatever lamps are currently lit to shift into the attract mode, making it look weird. So I have some stuff to look at for v04, and possibly a code audit to see why things are firing when they shouldn't.

It's odd that the freeplay worked though. I could probably drop the rom into seawitch to look for gross errors since I don't have an ali here. (One of 2-3 mpu 200's I haven't owned at some point....)

EDIT:
So because I hadn't done a stern game from scratch in a long time, I forgot there's a couple hardcoded things in the code regarding the default sounds. I'll correct those as random results will ensue otherwise. I'll assume that when I did the alpha bell mod I didn't change the footprint of anything too much so it didn't break it there, at least not that anyone said (that was just rom u1 which isn't where the error is)

The clue was that the sound didn't work on the scoring and since I don't test with sound in pinmame, I never noticed.

1 month later
#114 1 year ago

Does anyone have clues to how one would program the VSU-2 to work with slochar's F2K ROM? All custom speech (skillshot etc) is gone.

Edit: Nevermind, found clues.

2 months later
#115 12 months ago

Gathering thoughts on Catacomb for possible update.

No ball relock during multiball (like the lightning update).

When you lock a ball during regular play, play the bagatelle for <some # of times/timed> (similar to the end of ball)

Eliminate end of ball bagatelle as it sows confusion, and (possibly) rightfully rips people off if they complete the line needed for release or extra ball.

Make the multiball start hinge off something other than what it does. Multiball is rare in catacomb iirc. Possibly make all multiballs 2 balls instead of 3? You can't skillfully shoot the locks on this game unfortunately.

A lot of the other stuff in the game is done right - the completion of the drop banks, etc.

Of course would add the spinner counter etc. like other mods since they're fun.

There is not a lot of room available in the roms but I'd see what I can do. Would need alpha/beta testers as I no longer own a catacomb.

#116 12 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

When you lock a ball during regular play, play the bagatelle for <some # of times/timed> (similar to the end of ball)
Eliminate end of ball bagatelle as it sows confusion, and (possibly) rightfully rips people off if they complete the line needed for release or extra ball.
Make the multiball start hinge off something other than what it does. Multiball is rare in catacomb iirc. Possibly make all multiballs 2 balls instead of 3? You can't skillfully shoot the locks on this game unfortunately.
A lot of the other stuff in the game is done right - the completion of the drop banks, etc.
There is not a lot of room available in the roms but I'd see what I can do. Would need alpha/beta testers as I no longer own a catacomb.

No ball relock during multiball would be a great addition.

I like the idea of playing the bagatelle after a ball lock instead of the end of ball. It would give the player an opportunity to win back their locked ball by completing a color if you kept the multiball start the same, e.g. complete a color, next switch hit starts multi ball. The bagatelle should play shorter. Right now you can quite a few spots if you know what you're doing. There's not much you can do about the randomness of ball locks. I think that's part of the charm of this game. I wonder if there will be too much bagatelle if you played it on both locks. If you lock a second ball multiball you could just start on the next switch and no bagatelle is played. This would increase multiball occurrence too.

It would be nice if it were a little easier to complete the toast. One idea would be to allow the lock on of a color with the "spot 2" standup and the "increase spinner value" upper right lane. The current code locks on red with "spot 6" and amber with "spot 1". Adding green to "spot 2" and blue to "increase spinner value" gives the player more opportunities to complete these colors on the drops. This change would give the "spot 2" more use too. Right now it's pretty much useless since you usually hit this target randomly when let to get the 2 lit.

I'm interested in being an alpha/bata tester.

#117 12 months ago

Any chance at some point to have a look at increasing Quicksilver's recordable high spin(s) to date from the current max of 127 spins? that would be great.

I have been exceeding 127 several times with 2 or more decent continuous spins.

Also I noticed, maybe 1 in 10 games on average, their are 3 free games awarded at the end of the game when the high score to date has not been exceeded.

Game is set to award 3 games when high score to date is exceeded & does so as normal when score is actually surpassed.

No big deal, I thought I would mention it as a possible bug.

#118 12 months ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Any chance at some point to have a look at increasing Quicksilver's recordable high spin(s) to date from the current max of 127 spins? that would be great.
I have been exceeding 127 several times with 2 or more decent continuous spins.
Also I noticed, maybe 1 in 10 games on average, their are 3 free games awarded at the end of the game when the high score to date has not been exceeded.
Game is set to award 3 games when high score to date is exceeded & does so as normal when score is actually surpassed.
No big deal, I thought I would mention it as a possible bug.

I got 171 spins on galaxy and starting thinking about making that one able to record > 200! Never thought that would be possible.

I don't remember any of the ins and outs of QS at this point as it's pretty old (relative to how many hacks I've done since). I thought that the limit was 227 but if it's 127 it's 127. I'll see.

One issue with each of these games as I progress through them is that I've used slightly differing strategies in space savings measures, many of which would not be suited for other titles. QS is VERY full IIRC.

The hstd thing I can double check when looking at the spinners, I don't think anyone else has reported it, but maybe they didn't notice.

#119 12 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

I don't remember any of the ins and outs of QS at this point as it's pretty old (relative to how many hacks I've done since). I thought that the limit was 227 but if it's 127 it's 127. I'll see.

Yeah I can confirm it only records up to 127 not 227. I tried another Stern MPU200 & another set of ROMS & was the same.

Here is some info you gave me a while ago when I messaged you enquiring about it which might help.

"It should really save up to 255 but I can see where the display routine doesn't convert the hex number correctly, so likely anything >127 just shows as 127 - probably something with the most significant bit (Sign bit) on the byte where it's stored.

If I ever go back into the code I'll look at it for an edge case. I do remember thinking it was odd that 227 was the limit - it should really be 255 but I didn't think too much about why it wouldn't be"

#120 12 months ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Just looked at the routines for this, nothing changed from stock here (surprisingly). Can you watch the scores that this happens with vs. what the hstd was? Does it do it AND replace the hstd? Is it triple matching? The match routine was rewritten maybe a bug there instead of the hstd routine.

There's zero free bytes in the rom right now, so unless I come up with something yet again, some things might be locked in.

EDIT, looked at the spinner mess..... ugh..... early attempt by me to be able to try different things, for different versions, and keep all of them. Messy. I also note that I never got the goofy sound data 100% so that has to 'stick' where it is. Unfortunately I think the best way forward on this one is to start over and re-add all the features with more efficiency. I double checked Galaxy and the spinner counter there only works until 200 spins, ditto with the new seawitch one I just posted. It's not unprecedented that I have to rip all out and start anew, this wouldn't be the first second or tenth time there, and it wouldn't be as hard as you'd think since I have the recreated source to make that part faster.

I don't think >200 spins could be something that would be added but in recreation I'll check. Won't be quick.... hopefully you can get more info on the hstd snafu. For sure this time I think I'll add some of the options to the adjustment menu instead of dips, but won't know until I get the recreation going.

#121 12 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

I'd def be available to test out.

I like the idea on the not relocking during multi-ball. Also maybe have a selectable dipswitch option to clear the locks between balls for an added difficulty level. and protect from worrying about lock stealing.
otherwise I am fine with how the multi currently works.

My one gripe is with how the super bonus works in that once you complete it, you pretty much have to drain the ball before the toast is able to be built up again. I'd like to see the toast reset at once, once you complete the toast the 1st time. considering that if you have the super bonus lit and can complete the toast again that would be 272k, that is quite the bonus for this game.

I am also fine with the bagatelle with how it is. I think adding it after a lock will add even more confusion. As far as completing the extra ball on the bagatelle ripping you off. It kinda goes as a penalty since you did drain before you did the bagatelle.

#122 11 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Just looked at the routines for this, nothing changed from stock here (surprisingly). Can you watch the scores that this happens with vs. what the hstd was? Does it do it AND replace the hstd? Is it triple matching? The match routine was rewritten maybe a bug there instead of the hstd routine.

Quoted from slochar:

I don't think >200 spins could be something that would be added but in recreation I'll check. Won't be quick.... hopefully you can get more info on the hstd snafu. For sure this time I think I'll add some of the options to the adjustment menu instead of dips, but won't know until I get the recreation going.

Will get back to you as soon as it happens again & will observe. Pretty sure it wasn't triple matching either from memory - their was no number match. will take careful note of what happens.
Thanks for looking into doing some more work on it. I think a max 200 spins recorded would be a great max number if it does turn out to be possible to implement - would be unlikely to ever exceed that number.

Update:

I played a bunch of games & this is what I observed.

I had a couple of number matches - on both occasions 1 credit was awarded as normal with no change to the 2 recorded hstd numbers (or anything else other than increasing my total credits by 1 each time as normal)

I also had a game finish where their was a match & that time I was awarded 4 credits instead of 1 credit. This is at odds with previous times where the anomaly was 3 credits randomly & not 4. This was the regular confirmed match number credit award plus an additional 3 more credits. The 2 recorded hstd numbers remained the same (117 & 127)

High score to date was not surpassed by any of the final game scores on any test games & is retaining the same high score as it has been.

OK, just played a few more games, I had the random end of game 3 credits occur, they were not credits from triple matching as the match number & my score number were different.
HSTD numbers remained the same (117 & 127) high score to date was not surpassed & remained the same as before. The 3 random credits were added to my total credit amount.

1 month later
#123 10 months ago

Just joined the Lightning club. The new code getting worked on definitely pushed me towards buying it. Very exciting!

70840829664__D47671D6-34AE-4B63-985E-8F04D1B60839 (resized).jpeg70840829664__D47671D6-34AE-4B63-985E-8F04D1B60839 (resized).jpeg
#124 10 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Just joined the Lightning club. The new code getting worked on definitely pushed me towards buying it. Very exciting!
[quoted image]

That's the Arduino code. This thread is the original code tweaks.

1 month later
#125 8 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

There's zero free bytes in the rom right now, so unless I come up with something yet again, some things might be locked in.

EDIT, looked at the spinner mess..... ugh..... early attempt by me to be able to try different things, for different versions, and keep all of them. Messy. I also note that I never got the goofy sound data 100% so that has to 'stick' where it is. Unfortunately I think the best way forward on this one is to start over and re-add all the features with more efficiency. I double checked Galaxy and the spinner counter there only works until 200 spins, ditto with the new seawitch one I just posted. It's not unprecedented that I have to rip all out and start anew, this wouldn't be the first second or tenth time there, and it wouldn't be as hard as you'd think since I have the recreated source to make that part faster.

In case you ever revisit this one I have summed up the bugs I have observed playing over time & swapping in another board with stock ROMs to note any differences.

3 match credits are awarded when the match numbers are the same as the last 2 digits on the high score to date numbers, eg: Match is 00 & last digits in high score to date are also 00 - 3 credits are awarded (triple matching) instead of the usual 1 credit, 4 credits or more is any player's score ends up at 00 as well.

127 is the maximum recordable high spins to date.

Sound is different to stock when ball enters a lit return lane (to light the spinner)

The 3 bank targets reset sound is different to stock.

#126 8 months ago

It is very possible that some sounds end up different since I still don't have Pfutz's sound engine completely understood (he did things very differently than other programmers). I think I ended up ensuring that the sound effects are all in the same location as originally vs. being able to compile them anywhere (my preference).

The 3 bank reset has a sweep on it is it possible you got the sweep for the reset? (Maybe it pays the sweep all the time when it shouldn't?)

I will have access to a quicksilver in late september and hopefully will be able to investigate the behaviors you are describing. I do not know if I will have time to actually fix anything here though as I do not have the time I used to be able to devote to this type of thing available any longer. A quick peek at the old QS codebase reveals that it's one of those ones that is what I would call fragile..... change one thing and it might break another. Unfortunately with the resources of the original mpu200, that's the way it has to be to integrate all the changes.

Also because of the fragility it makes it difficult to go back into it if I've not been 'living in it' for a while. Sometimes on these projects when I go back in I actually go back in and re-write it better with newer tricks etc.

I actually don't see where the limitation of 127 is in the code, but I'm suspicious because that's exactly the size 7 bits hold, so some routine involved with counting or storing spins must have that limitation for a reason. I've no idea what that reason might be.

Like I said though I will look at Quicksilver and see if I can duplicate some of this stuff. Would still have to have a deep think as to why it's happening. I would assume that the QS I'll have access to the owner doesn't have any of the crazy options 'set' on it, or just doesn't notice when things are amiss especially with awarding of matches etc.

#127 8 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

The 3 bank reset has a sweep on it is it possible you got the sweep for the reset? (Maybe it pays the sweep all the time when it shouldn't?)

I will have access to a quicksilver in late september and hopefully will be able to investigate the behaviors you are describing. I do not know if I will have time to actually fix anything here though as I do not have the time I used to be able to devote to this type of thing available any longer.

No, not paying the sweep 50k all the time on every reset, only when their is a sweep, otherwise normal value payed on reset.

This is what I noted for sweeps on both the 3 & 4 banks. If you get a sweep the very first time the targets go down with a new ball you get the 50k (with sound effect) on reset & for consecutive sweeps achieved one after the other with that ball continue to pay 50k (with sound effect). Once their is one non sweep target drop reset to break that pattern, no further sweeps are payed 50k for that ball - just normal values.

If you don't get a sweep with a new ball the very first time the target set is dropped down, you don't get the 50k sweep award for any sweep achieved during that ball.

The mods you have done already make this game so much more fun that using stock ROMs, so much appreciated even if nothing further gets done.

1 month later
#128 7 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

That's the Arduino code. This thread is the original code tweaks.

Had a question about the lightning code. Is there a way to get it to kick out any locked balls at the end of the game? Thanks-

Mike

#129 7 months ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Had a question about the lightning code. Is there a way to get it to kick out any locked balls at the end of the game? Thanks-
Mike

could possibly be added to the codebase but what would be the reasoning for it? Lightning currently doesn't have a ball count check when you hit the credit button unlike flight 2000's - which must see 3 either in the trough or in the virtual registers in the ball walker. So that would have to be added as well, or you could just start a game with the 2 balls that are ejecting in play.

It's not like it's difficult to lock the balls in lightning - the release is the hard part. Is it because starting a game with balls locked you didn't get the score for those 2 locks?

When you go down that rabbit hole.... say your ball ends with balls locked. Next player doesn't get the score for those balls locked either, but can certainly take advantage of it. You can't go 100% fairness unless you eject locked balls at the end of every player's ball (like Black Hole does for the upper playfield lock). This got discussed somewhere in the flight 2000 mod thread - that game, since it has a pass-through lock, makes each player 'earn' their locks.

There are about 25 bytes currently free in the rom, 4 in lowrom and the remaining in upperrom, any change might require more bytes than this.

#130 7 months ago

I was thinking more along the line of tournament play - when players start a game they begin with an even/open playfield, as opposed to player one potentially having an advantage. But I agree with everything you say. I have a fireball, and the ball locks staying locked between games always bugged me on that also.

#131 7 months ago

One of the reasons I got into modding the roms is for tournament play evenness. (After losing a match because one player on Dracula got the 20 million mystery, and I got 500k.)

The easy solution to the lightning ball lock is to make the lock saucers worth nothing when locked - just lock the ball.

This one I don't see as a big deal though, the person that would is the person that loses by a minuscule amount that would be covered by the lock scores. There's a certain amount of 'hey, that's pinball' involved here too.

There is a certain small vocal group of people that do NOT want ANYTHING changed in old software in the tournament set - these are the people that take advantage of the bugs/loopholes in the original code. (Think dropping the ball in the Johnny Mnomonic glove into the load VUK instead of moving it to the matrix..... over, and over, and over for I think a million each time, on a game that billions don't win games)

2 weeks later
#132 7 months ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

If you don't get a sweep with a new ball the very first time the target set is dropped down, you don't get the 50k sweep award for any sweep achieved during that ball.

ok, here are the results of the testing I did over the weekend at a friend's house I was visiting:

He didn't use the 50k sweep thing so we turned it on, and indeed, has to be the first drop or you always have to sweep to get it. Suspect somehow the flag for sweeping is not getting reset properly and will look into it (I managed to find the archived source code for the current 07D revision and will move to rev8 when fixed to differentiate)

Could not duplicate the match bug. Played 4 player game, had one of the players specifically have the same match as the hstd and the other players didn't. Only matched for the one player.

Couldn't duplicate the hstd bug, nor tell what the sound for the 3 bank 'should' be (were not able to swap roms back to stock).

He has a different issue very sporadically, where there's no game over sound at bootup.. This might have something to do with sound register ram and what the game was doing when it was turned off. (Stern games store the sound registers in nvram and earlier games Meteor, Galaxy, and Ali have issue with sounds at bootup in their first ball if they aren't cleared.)

I will check to see if the QS software is doing something screwy like earlier mpu200 games with the hstd award as they had a bug there as well, but the hstd had to be less than the first replay level, then it would set the hstd at the replay level.

Re: the spinner counter storage, It looks like I split the spinner left/right storage somehow which requires it being the way it is. What that way is I'm not entirely sure but I might be able to rewrite it to another way, but there's likely a limit on rom space to add more 'stuff'.

I'm hopeful that the sweep thing can be solved relatively easily. I suspect I only reset the flag sweep uses at ball launch vs. on bank reset, which normally, I'd leave the bank reset routines as stock, but I must have separated it out (if I added the 'switch saver' type stuff I normally do now to it, that's likely it right there)

Joydivision can you possibly put stock roms back in and demonstrate the sounds you hear on the 3 bank reset vs. the 07d roms? The owner of the game didn't think there was a difference, but he tested the new roms a long time ago, put the game in storage, and only recent has had it back out.

We also did not notice anything about the inlane spinner sound being different, so if you can film that as well for comparison.

#133 7 months ago

and I just noticed in the changelog that the sweep bug was 'fixed' in 7c and tested but I guess that test was not correct, so back to the drawing board on that one

#134 7 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Could not duplicate the match bug. Played 4 player game, had one of the players specifically have the same match as the hstd and the other players didn't. Only matched for the one player.

That's odd, I had this occur several times with two different boards & 2 separate sets of ROMs. I wonder if different dip switch/coin door settings on my game to what the game you played was on could make a difference? I had 5 balls per game & 3 credits for beating HSTD.

It definitely happens when HSTD is on"00" and a match is "00" = 3 credits. I'm certain if I change the HSTD to any different number ie "20" a match on "20" will result in 3 credits - I will double check with other numbers again later when I can.

My HSTD was higher than all 3 replay setting thresholds.

Quoted from slochar:

can you possibly put stock roms back in and demonstrate the sounds you hear on the 3 bank reset vs. the 07d roms? The owner of the game didn't think there was a difference, but he tested the new roms a long time ago, put the game in storage, and only recent has had it back out.

We also did not notice anything about the inlane spinner sound being different, so if you can film that as well for comparison.

The sounds for the 3 bank & spinner & inlane are essentially the same type of sounds between the ROM sets, it's the tone & pitch that are a bit different. I only really noticed it when I swapped over back to the stock ROMs as I was tuned into the sounds that I could tell a difference, it's really just a minor detail I observed that I thought should be mentioned more than an issue.

I can't check anything for a month or 2 as my original playfield is out being restored. When I get it back together I will post some vids depicting the sound differences - I will try to capture the HSTD bug occurring too if I can.

IMG_4540 (resized).JPGIMG_4540 (resized).JPG

#135 7 months ago

I have a beta test ready for the sweep and spinner storage if you PM me an email to send it to

#136 7 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

I have a beta test ready for the sweep and spinner storage if you PM me an email to send it to

Will do, thanks.

3 months later
#137 3 months ago

Added quicksilver v08 to http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/ based on Joydivision 's successful testing

Added 91 days ago:

removed 8, added v81, bug in match handling when match was zero and less than 4 players playing
same location

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/software-mods-for-classic-stern-games/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.