Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by skink91
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Software development hangout”

• I do software work. 19 votes
      63%
    • I don’t work on software (but this is interesting) 7 votes
      23%
    • Nerds! (I’m out of here... losers) 4 votes
      13%

(30 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 3 years ago

I'm a software architect and project manager. I recently joined a telehealth company who had a bunch of coders that I replaced with engineers.

To me the main difference between a coder and an engineer is how engineers think of software a whole where coders execute the tasks they are assigned without necessarily seeing the big picture.

The most visible aspect in a distributed architecture was the redundancy of the code case, the lack of common APIs although they were serving the same endpoints and an overall lack of care for performance.

I would love to start coding on the P3 platform, unfortunately I'm a terrible handyman so I don't plan on building from scratch, but I would surely like to find a plug and play hardware for a start.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

This distinction is spot on. The part I might disagree with (perhaps, not sure if you are saying this or not) is saying coder/engineer as if coder is something that means something different than ‘bad developer’ or perhaps more kindly just ‘junior developer’.
    To me, no developer should not be on a path to team lead / architect... if they aren’t they should be looking at other non-dev roles.

I think coder is a different job that fits some organizations, typically the ones that have more layers between the functional specifications and the end product.
    Coders also fits software that are at a more advanced part of their lifecycle where they need updates and bug fixing.

So I don't think a coder is a bad developer in essence, they just come in play once the foundations are laid out.

1 week later
    #72 3 years ago

Does anyone work with product teams internally ? Half of my projects are "Product driven" as in they build a UI abstract of any kind of what's doable in the existing architecture/software without a big overhaul.

So I end up being the party killer, I waste a huge amount of time and the only conclusion becomes "Ok when can you do it ?"

I'm interested to hear about how you deal with that and you manage to keep some kind of much needed consistency

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/software-design-hangout?tu=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.