(Topic ID: 260577)

Sodering iron

By Gunnut40

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27204BB8-62B8-4C4F-B9CD-B3FF0695E0DF (resized).jpeg
    2CC55AA9-0081-4450-8F5D-868261EEF244 (resized).jpeg
    E74EA6BE-78E2-426E-8519-DC1E1E5C401A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gunnut40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I am looking for a good setup to do some board work. Something that you use with shaky hands and around 500 dollars. Any advice would help.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

What's up Gunnut? Met you with Who-Dey at Pincinnati this year. Two of the best threads on here about tools and technique that will help you are: Best Soldering irons, and Terry B's guide to soldering. Can't go wrong with either.

This could be very good advice if you shake a lot, extra hand holders will only help the hand not holding the iron. Chris Hibler does good board work and also Marks Pinball which is somewhat local for you.
    See you next year at Pincinnati???

What's up man! I will for sure be at pincinnati! I need to get some payback for Who-Dey kicking my ass last year. See you at the show!

#6 4 years ago

My hands only shake a little bit. Thanks for all the advice.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

It's funny you say that, I do have shakiness, it is greatly lessened with a good magnification inspection light.

That sound good do you use a board holder also?

6 months later
    #13 3 years ago

Yeah I finally figured out which iron I wanted. I got the FX-951 cause it had everything I wanted. You put this iron in your hand feels like a pencil. This one will sense when temp is getting low and sends more power! The cons are well..you can look them up. I gots me a old man eye ball light also. Time to destroy some boards!

E74EA6BE-78E2-426E-8519-DC1E1E5C401A (resized).jpegE74EA6BE-78E2-426E-8519-DC1E1E5C401A (resized).jpeg
    #16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont know anything about them but it looks like a nice one and it looks expensive. Has your wife filed for divorce yet over it?
    Gunnut40

It’s wasn’t that bad 340 with 5 tips. The old man light was 120. I think cottonm4 recommend it to someone on another thread. My wife just punched me in nuts cassie cage style. I plan on buying a desoldering gun like Mario suggested. I just have to wait till the swelling in my balls to go down.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Congrats gunnut40. Hakko makes great stuff. I have their FX-100 induction soldering iron. It’s maybe overkill for Pinball machines, but I use it mainly for assembling audiophile grade amps and preamps.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks dude. Yeah mine is overkill for sure. I can’t blame the iron if I mess up on a board now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gunnut40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sodering-iron?tu=Gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.