Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by wcbrandes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a client considering a game purchase and also looking at a game on ebay from Socalpinball -

ebay.com link: INDIANA JONES PINBALL MACHINE WILLIAMS MODS LEDS SUBWOOFER EXCELLENT SHAPE

He's a newbie, first game purchase - considering a WOZ or IJ - i'm just trying to help him make the 'right' purchase for him whichever it is in case you are wondering if it seems strange. I have found that good karma like that comes back to you.

Anyway - anyone have any feedback on socalpinball or this game - I don't know the IJ market right now so figured a few of you could lend some evaluations / advice...

Thanks !

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements

#2 9 years ago

"THE CABINET IS IN GREAT CONDITION WITH NICE BRIGHT COLORS. "

#3 9 years ago

The garage door looks a bit off - it's brown, but it should be white.

#4 9 years ago

He's a regular SoCal flipper, one of the Big Three. Never met him, met his brother who's also one of the trio. Not bad guys, but they're not out to offer anyone a bargain or anything. My experience with his brother is that he'll sell you a game that needs more work than he let on, but I'm not saying he's shady, he might not even realize it. They're flippers, outsource any real work that needs to be done.

$6.3k for an IJ is insane IMHO. Wouldn't pay it. But that's the eBay price. Talk to him offline if he really wants it, bet he'll go lower.

#5 9 years ago

That's David he chimes in here sometimes and is an honest guy. Yes, he and his brother Brian flip alot of pins and you should ask any specific questions and he will answer you. I agree with Aurich, contact him and take it to email or a phone call. I've purchased and traded with him in the past and have been pleased with our transactions.

Oh, and yes some houses do have brown garage doors in So Cal

#6 9 years ago

TheLaw - I assume you saying the decals look off - I felt same, I don't know if it's an outside pic but the decals do look 'light' in color and not bold... were there various runs by numerous vendors who maybe didn't get the color right ? For sure looks washed out.

He's looking at IJ, LOTR, and WOZ - I told him all are superb games and a good variety. I also told him don't stress too much as you can't just own one pinball and eventually after he gets the first he'll somehow find the other two at his doorstep down the road...lol..

I assumed they are flippers - I didn't like as if it sounds like the game was a fully restored game but comments like 'look like it was clearcoated' - shouldn't you know that... .but being a flipper i get it... not that that means they are bad folks, i've seen the name before and I have never heard anything bad about them in any way. Any games they have listed look very nice - no junk at all. just saying it's not like it is coming from the collector that can attest to every single thing done to it with love and affection - that has some value, especially to someone who doesn't know what to look for who is asking me for an opinion.

thanks for feedback - keep it coming... One of the most fun things for me as a distributor is dealing with new excited people looking to get in the hobby so it's fun to help like this sale or not. I've been amazed how many games I've sold to brand new to the hobby people - probably 25% of all WOZ sales are to new pinball people.

#7 9 years ago

I've Dealt with David a few times and he is a good guy in my book. Both times the games were better than described and he seems to be a good guy also. Just don't try to negotiate much with him because he is pretty firm on prices from what I have seen.

#8 9 years ago

Don't expect it to be restored, tweaked, or working 100%. They buy games, wipe 'em down, put shitty LEDs in them, then jack up the price and put them on eBay.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

That's David he chimes in here sometimes and is an honest guy. Yes, he and his brother Brian flip alot of pins and you should ask any specific questions and he will answer you. I agree with Aurich, contact him and take it to email or a phone call. I've purchased and traded with him in the past and have been pleased with our transactions.
Oh, and yes some houses do have brown garage doors in So Cal

I agree with Kevin.

I've bought several pins from David in the past, and I can say that he is definitely an honest seller. Also agree that you can buy it for less off of ebay. Talk to him directly and he will answer all questions directly and honestly.

Regarding the price, I agree with Aurich, I think this is an awful lot of money for an IJ, especially at this point in time with pins taking a lot longer to sell and prices coming down like they are. Of course I've thought the same thing regarding other pins David has listed for sale, and they have been sold in a few days, so you never know.

#10 9 years ago

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I agree with Kevin.
I've bought several pins from David in the past, and I can say that he is definitely an honest seller. Also agree that you can buy it for less off of ebay. Talk to him directly and he will answer all questions directly and honestly.
Regarding the price, I agree with Aurich, I think this is an awful lot of money for an IJ, especially at this point in time with pins taking a lot longer to sell and prices coming down like they are. Of course I've thought the same thing regarding other pins David has listed for sale, and they have been sold in a few days, so you never know.

Well he's not trying to sell to us (people who know the hobby/market)....he's selling to people who don't know. They see Indiana Jones - they click 'n buy. He'll get what he wants for it eventually.

#12 9 years ago

It's overpriced IMO but maybe you can work a better deal online. I sold my collector quality orange trim one for slightly higher than that and it had a CC'd playfield and tons of new parts.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well he's not trying to sell to us (people who know the hobby/market)....he's selling to people who don't know. They see Indiana Jones - they click 'n buy. He'll get what he wants for it eventually.

Well, he has sold to people like us (me and Kevin) in the past. But I'm sure that he isn't selling nearly as many pins as he used to in this market, so he has to make what he can on each sale. I know he has sold IJ for over $6k several times in the past, but I think that ship may have sailed. But again, like I said, and like you say, he may very well still find a buyer at that price for a variety of reasons.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks guys... I don't want anyone to be bashing the seller or game - it is what it is ... it looks nice and others he has sold look nice and fair priced, and just like new games like we sell are priced high so are some us collectors offer here and ones on ebay etc... It's just it's across the country and seems like a fairly active seller others would know about to give referral. Sounds like alot of buyers here like him too - so that is great. Customer just asked me to check it out for him. I would always tell a newbie that buying from someone's collection you will get that love and attention they put into it for top dollar vs Ebay seller / retail store etc... If this was this guy's 10th game then it doesn't matter as much. He's a nice guy and I just want to steer him right... He's been looking at Craigslist and I steered him to here, Mr Pinball, and even Ebay to buy from someone 'in the hobby' for best results. I also don't want to have seller get criticized due to my post - If nothing else I figured it brings attention to his auction and maybe someone can strike a deal if my guy decides another is best for him... Thanks for help, I'll pass it along - good and bad !
: )

#15 9 years ago

I think they ship their games mostly instead of selling local. Brian had a TZ that was going to Malaysia or Thailand or some crazy place when I met him. Forget now, it wasn't one of those places, was an island though I think. They have shipping connections through their furniture business or something? Can do it cheap and easy.

#16 9 years ago

First time buyer, who is comfortable at over 5k, would definitely steer him to a new purchase. He definately will not be disappointed with a new out of the box purchase. Less maintenance, warranty and plug and play!

#17 9 years ago

I could find one as nice for $5500 here in SoCal.

#18 9 years ago

We've gotten 3 pins from SoCalPinball. My first pin purchase ever was JP off eBay, and as Rarehero said, at the time I was brand new and didn't know of other outlets to find a machine and overpaid. I couldn't find one local from an individual seller and the local dealer wanted twice what SoCal had it for on eBay, so I hit the "Buy It Now" button. But I got what I wanted, it was in as-described condition, and once it arrived it had an issue with the DMD so he bought another one and had it shipped to us at no additional cost to make it right. He even offered to pay a service person to come install it if we didn't know how to change it.

After JP went smoothly, my mom was looking for an Addams and he had a very very nice one. He put it on eBay so she could see pics and so it was there in case she didn't want it, but sold it to her at a pretty reduced price. Later she was looking for a Flintstones and got one shipped in from him cheaper than she could have bought a local one. We're happy with all 3 machines. JP has needed a tweek here and there, like a control room switch, but that's common for the game. Addams had an issue with the Fliptronics board, and he took the one out of his personal machine, sent it to us, and we sent back the bad one, all with no extra costs/hassle/worry, and again offered to pay a service tech to do it if we couldn't. I'd buy from him again, but I'd be sure to call him to get a reduced price since the eBay price is jacked up to cover fees.

#19 9 years ago

I've flipped games to David and help him sell some too. Deal with confidence. He's a good guy.
Thanks,
Lorenzo

#20 9 years ago

probably 25% of all WOZ sales are to new pinball people.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,419.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/socalpinball-ij-on-ebay-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.