(Topic ID: 83862)

SoCal: Play Wizard Blocks, Kingpin, Krull, Loch Ness, King Kong on 3/22 *UPDATE*

By pinsane

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

unc_wallpaper_pizzasteve_01_1024x768.jpg
image-112.jpg
20140320_python_2173-260.jpg
20140320_python_2168.jpg
20140320_python_2167.jpg
20140320_python_2166.jpg
20140320_python_2164.jpg
20140319_python_2159.jpg

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

Do yourself (And Python!) a favor and rsvp to this event! You won't be disappointed. Steve is one of the most gracious hosts around and I bet you will play/see/learn something new about your favorite hobby!

Play in the tourney too! Pin Golf is fun, esp. for those who usually don't like tourneys. Those who don't know - Karl is the West Coast tournament throwing king!

Enjoy!

#52 5 years ago

Wish I was out that way, just hearing about this is stunning.

#53 5 years ago

Someone please take in depth videos of the machines and post them. Thanks

#54 5 years ago

Here's the PinGolf games/goals list for the tournament. Maximum # of strokes on each hole is 4. Some goals are meant to be very easy, others only slightly difficult. The finals have the difficult goals.

Course A:
Scared Stiff - Start "Return of the Deadheads"
Funhouse - Enter the trap door twice
Medieval Madness - Destroy 3 Castles
Cactus Canyon - Start Showdown Multiball
Monster Bash - Start Mosh Pit Multiball
World Cup Soccer 94 - Reach Boston (light C-U-P solid)

Course B:
The Shadow - Start Vengence
Twilight Zone - Defeat the power or collect the Powerball Mania jackpot
Attack From Mars - Destroy 3 Saucers
Radical - Spell R-A-D-I-C-A-L
Getaway - Start Video Mode
Whirlwind - Collect any 3 Cellar Door awards

Finals Course:
3 Games from Course A
3 Games from Course B
Maximum strokes increased to 6
Goal difficulty increased, will be shown at tournament

#55 5 years ago

Just got home. Steve, you're a beyond wonderful host, the day and night were awesome. I'm sure the party is still going now.

image-112.jpg

#56 5 years ago

Looks like a blast. Hope you raised a ton of money. Great pinball cause.

#57 5 years ago

Thank you everyone who came out to support Python. We're blessed with a truly generous pinball crowd in SoCal!

Here's a video of the event we made for Python:

https://vimeo.com/89822174

#58 5 years ago

Wizard Blocks and Playboy was not represented?

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

Wizard Blocks and Playboy was not represented?

Yes they were. I played them both! Amazing!!!!! OK I sleep now...zzzzzzz

Steve - you're the best!!! I propose a new avatar for you:

unc_wallpaper_pizzasteve_01_1024x768.jpg
#60 5 years ago

Thank you Steve for hosting such a wonderful event. I can only think of one word... AWESOME!
Karl put together a great tournament and it was nice to see some old friends and make some new ones.
Doug

#61 5 years ago

Zingy Bingy finally revealed! Time for a world tour!

#62 5 years ago

Erin and I had a phenomenal time: fantastic hosts, a great group of people all having fun, rarest of rare games, plenty of yummy food, all for a great cause. Wow.

#63 5 years ago

What an amazing night. Thank you so much for hosting this event!

My personal favorite of all the rare games was Wizard Blocks!

I played everything but TRON still pulled me in for most time played.

This is why I love pinball!!!

#64 5 years ago

How about working with Pinball Arcade to digitize Zingy Bingy for their upcoming Pinball After Dark app, with some cut of the proceeds going to Python? I think they're in California.

#65 5 years ago

Thanks Steve for putting this together! I'm glad we made it, otherwise I would have watched that awesome video and been kicking myself for missing out.

#66 5 years ago

It was great to finally play all of those rare games. Some prototypes were more finished than others. I was very impressed with Kingpin. Much better pin than BBB IMO. I'm curious how much was raised for Python. I saw a lot of cash in those jars. I wish I could own one of those pizza ovens and get the recipes for all of them. I felt a little guilty eating so many slices but had to try them all. Some of the best pizza I have ever eaten. Everyone was really cool, especially Steve for inviting so many people into his house.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

How about working with Pinball Arcade to digitize Zingy Bingy for their upcoming Pinball After Dark app, with some cut of the proceeds going to Python? I think they're in California.

To be honest, the game design and code was in its infancy when the project was abandoned. It's a cool thing to own and I'm glad I got to play it, but there is no artwork or much of a game really. Would love to have seen what a finished product would have been like. For Pinball Arcade it's probably not worth the effort

#68 5 years ago

Steve is the BEST host ever !!

Thanks again for doing this to raise money

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Steve is the BEST host ever !!
Thanks again for doing this to raise money

Not that your parties suck mind you!

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not that your parties suck mind you!

Thank you for nice comment

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I'm curious how much was raised for Python.

See http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/designer-python-anghelo-needs-our-help/page/2#post-1543173

Quoted from dug:

Karl put together a great tournament and it was nice to see some old friends and make some new ones.

Right you are Doug. Karl made throwing a tournament look easy, and he was incredibly generous to donate his 1st place winnings to Python. I was humbled watching that. A real class act!

Quoted from westofrome:

How about working with Pinball Arcade to digitize Zingy Bingy for their upcoming Pinball After Dark app, with some cut of the proceeds going to Python?

Quoted from vicjw66:

To be honest, the game design and code was in its infancy when the project was abandoned.

I completely agree with vicjw66, Zingy Bingy is too unfinished to be included in any release from the Pinball Arcade folks. Zingy Bingy is indeed amusing. The few rules implemented work well, and many attending the party commented on how well the game shoots. The game has importance from a historical point of view. But it is a very early realization with only a couple of rules sketched out, no sound package, no artwork beyond the playfield and the lost backbox maquettes and no dots package. It is not yet a playable game.

Quoted from rvdv:

...BEST host ever !!

High praise indeed from the consummate pinside party thrower. I'm just glad to be in the company of so many gracious hosts in SoCal!

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

I completely agree with vicjw66, Zingy Bingy is too unfinished to be included in any release from the Pinball Arcade folks. Zingy Bingy is indeed amusing. The few rules implemented work well, and many attending the party commented on how well the game shoots. The game has importance from a historical point of view. But it is a very early realization with only a couple of rules sketched out, no sound package, no artwork beyond the playfield and the lost backbox maquettes and no dots package. It is not yet a playable game.

Not yet, but I'm fully expecting to see the Zingy Bingy Adam & Eve edition by year's end!

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Not yet, but I'm fully expecting to see the Zingy Bingy Adam & Eve edition by year's end!

Heh,

Python's very passionate about a redesign which put's Adam on the left of the playfield and Eve on the right. It turns out that "Zingy Bingy" and "Adam and Eve" have the same number of letters so the drop targets on the back could stay the same.

There are several versions of rule-sets in the design notes for the game, so anything's possible...

steve SDTM

#74 5 years ago

It certainly would be exciting to see Python's vision for this come to fruition.

#75 5 years ago

Amazing games, delicious pizza, and such wonderful people!

Steve, one of my favorite parts of the night was listening to you walk Rarehero through Wizard Blocks, and tell the story of acquiring it. Thank you for sharing so much, and hosting such a worthy fundraiser.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from animator_pin_fan:

...one of my favorite parts of the night was listening to you walk Rarehero through Wizard Blocks

Yeah, The only way I would love Wizard Blocks more is if it were made out of buffalo wings and beer! The game has a fantastic playfield and is undoubtedly the apotheosis of Pinball 2000! Even though it is unfinished, it is conceptually nearly complete, and most importantly it is FUN!!!

My favorite response to the game was Bill Ung's who excitedly exclaimed while playing it, "F**k Kingpin, remake THIS!"

Steve SDTM

#77 5 years ago

Since I was not able to fly out for the party, is there any chance you could share some of the Wizard Blocks story with us?

I LOVE pin2K and was able to see the single wizard blocks remaining at IPB last year. I would love to here more about wizard blocks! (if you care to share. please)

#78 5 years ago

Pictures? Please???

Thanks,
EV

#79 5 years ago
#80 5 years ago

There are plenty of good stories in this thread. Steve opened his house to have people play his rare machines that they might not see otherwise never mind have a chance to play. It sounds like everyone had a great time while playing pinball and eating pizza. There were a number of people who helped and make it all happen. And a significant amount of money was raised for Python.

This is all a reminder of why I have been involved in this hobby as long as I have and why some of my best friends have come from it. Keep up the good work everyone!

Brad

#81 5 years ago

I think Brad just hit the nail on the head! When I encounter an overzealous collector, I'll sometimes gently remind him that "these things will never love you back." My point is that these machines are just objects, what has lasting value in this hobby are the friendships that we create with others in this incredible pinball community.

Sorry for getting so philosophical...

steve SDTM

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

I think Brad just hit the nail on the head! When I encounter an overzealous collector, I'll sometimes gently remind him that "these things will never love you back." My point is that these machines are just objects, what has lasting value in this hobby are the friendships that we create with others in this incredible pinball community.

So very true, but only if the owner is generous enough to open up said collection to the community. For all the rare things you have there's nothing museum like about your games, they're meant to be played. Which in my eyes is perfect, because these are after all games, 'meant to be played' is in their DNA. But not everyone would let their one of a kind games sit out in the open for people to bang on.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

Sorry for getting so philosophical...
steve SDTM

You should change your name to Pinsensible

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So very true, but only if the owner is generous enough to open up said collection to the community. For all the rare things you have there's nothing museum like about your games, they're meant to be played. Which in my eyes is perfect, because these are after all games, 'meant to be played' is in their DNA. But not everyone would let their one of a kind games sit out in the open for people to bang on.

Meant to be played for sure. At the event most of the machines had the key in them.

I was playing the Pin2k Playboy and a ball got stuck. There was another ball also stuck. Key in it, but I felt a little odd about pulling the glass on a prototype so I found Steve. We went to the machine. While opening the machine he told me to feel free to open up the games to release any stuck balls. Of note, Steve and I are only vaguely acquainted with one another, having met briefly just a couple of weeks prior to the event.

It's one thing to have philosophical musings. It's a totally different thing to apply those as beliefs in a tangible, pragmatic way. +1 Steve and family.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

and the lost backbox maquettes

That is a terrible loss. I heard from one of the Capcom people that the art department spent $30K developing them.

LTG : (

#86 5 years ago

I don't begrudge those who choose to keep their games in perfect minimally played condition. It's their games after all and they have a right to do with them what they please.

I just think my games get sad when they're not being played. (I know, ironic anthropomorphization coming from the guy who just said "they'll never love you back"). I do agree that for my games at least, they are 'meant to be played.' For some of the prototypes, they are rather fragile and parts are hard to come by, so I do appreciate that our guests treated them with the same respect that they would treat their own games. For anyone who looked carefully at the plastic ramp in King Kong, that ramp is not long for this world because of the force with which the giant flipper bashes it with the ball!

steve SDTM

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

I just think my games get sad when they're not being played.

Games like to be played. And perform better than when they are neglected.

LTG : )™

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

...is there any chance you could share some of the Wizard Blocks story with us?

Whysnow,

Sorry about the delayed response, I started to answer this on my phone but the text started to get too unwieldy to edit.

I hope you got a chance to play it when you last saw Wizard Blocks. I could go on and on about the gameplay in WB, but for me the first thing I noticed when playing the game is that it feels much more like a pinball machine than a video game that uses a metal ball and flippers as a controller. The video aspects of WB are always in service to the pinball experience, and enhance the pinball play in much the way that the soundtrack and flashers increase the satisfaction of hitting various shots in a modern game.

The shots to the blocks are satisfying. When you hit them, they react, typically by exploding. Most importantly, when you hit the blocks the ball reacts, it bounces back because the virtual image is reflected right in front of a wide drop target. I think (with due respect to their amazing work) this is what I found lacking in the P3 integration of video with pinball, the ball just always passed through video objects and is never deflected by them. I know this sounds like the martian drop target in RFM, but this plays in a much stronger way in WB.

You can stack two columns of blocks up to three high, and when the bottom block explodes, then the blocks stacked above them hang in the air a moment (like Wiley Coyote who's just run off a cliff) before falling down and replacing the block you just destroyed. Through amazing choreography between the video elements and the mechanical elements, you can hit a block and the ball bounces back off the block which explodes, then immediately hit the ball to the same place and have it pass under the upper block which is just beginning to fall, then hit the new block once it has fallen and have the ball bounce back again while the fallen block explodes. The illusion that the blocks have mass because the balls apparently bounce off of them or pass through the space when a block is absent is so perfect that it is easy to forget that these are just video images reflected on the glass. This effect is further enhanced by the fact that some of the blocks contain spinners which let the ball pass through and spin (like the spinners on SWE1). It plays seamlessly.

steve SDTM

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is a terrible loss. I heard from one of the Capcom people that the art department spent $30K developing them.
LTG : (

Yeah. I hope they turn up someday...

Quoted from LTG:

Games like to be played. And perform better than when they are neglected.
LTG : )™

Sage advice from a wise man...

steve SDTM

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You should change your name to Pinsensible

My wife thinks I should change it to pinsensitive...

#91 5 years ago

Should be "pincrediblehumanbeing"

#92 5 years ago

Thanks for the info!

When I was at Gene's I was not able to play. All he had left was a populated pf "kit". I am assuming you are the "collector from CA that bought everything else". Very cool! I hope to be able to experience wizard blocks someday and think it is great that you have saved it from likely demise had it remained in storage in central IL.

Maybe someday in the future you will host another party and everything will work out that I can make a spontaneous flight out to CA.

Cheers agaimn for opening your collection, preserving pinball, and raising funds for a great cause!

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

My wife thinks I should change it to pinsensitive...

Hey, after all my hard work you're not allowed to change your name!

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, after all my hard work you're not allowed to change your name! ;D

I laughed out loud at this. I don't think anyone else knows you managed to get me my old rgp handle here on pinside!

Thanks for that!

steve

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

I laughed out loud at this. I don't think anyone else knows you managed to get me my old rgp handle here on pinside!
Thanks for that!
steve

Wait...were you Practical Steve at one point? Maybe that's why I was confused.

#96 5 years ago

Nope. Practicalsteve is someone else. I only started posting to pinside a couple of weeks ago as pinsane_. Note the trailing underscore. My old rgp handle was pinsane, but that name was already taken on pinside. Aurich used his super-human powers to help me get my old handle and shed the vestigial underscore.

steve

#97 5 years ago

Are there some more pics of both P2000 games? Or videos?

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'd give my right nut to be there, Steve, but sadly, I traded that one away long ago. Instead, I'll be sending our local Farmington rep, Pinghetto. Treat him nice. He's still young and impressionable.

That right nut just keeps growing back like that guys head in Men In Black. Probably not as much fun to watch though.

James

Brian, you interested in fixing the lost mine damage and cleaning up a and clearing my WH20 PF so I can put the original back in my game?

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

Agreed. I'd also love to see some quality videos of Krull, Loch Ness and King Kong.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

Here's a 6 year old video of Wizard Blocks -

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Columbia, MD
$ 42.00
$ 275.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 299.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside