Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RawleyD
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-20130304-00042.jpg
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Just curious who it was.....had to be a flipper or a collector, so speak up if ya know.

2 Diners, 600 each
    Dolly Parton 600
    Skateball 300

Supposedly one person bought them all after we already had an agreement with the seller to go and get the Diners tomorrow evening, we called them less than 10 minutes after their ad went up BEFORE they even had the ads for the other two up...

#2 11 years ago

2 Diners for $600 each and you waited to go get them?

Son, I am disappoint.

Sorry you did not get them Frax.

Chris

#4 11 years ago

Sounds like you are the one who fraxed that deal

#5 11 years ago

Actually, they f'ed me over. They told us that we couldn't go get them last night, that it was going to be too late, to come tomorrow evening, then turned around and sold them to someone else. We had cash in hand and offered to go get them.

#6 11 years ago

You still have to support the use of the verb 'frax', somehow.

For example, "Actually, they fraxed me over." would have been acceptable.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

Pwned buh me own woife!

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Supposedly one person bought them all after we already had an agreemen

My guess would be Steve over a FUN! did it to you. Check ebay in a couple of weeks and I bet you will see a Diner listed for sale at 3K plus.

#9 11 years ago

I know Steve, he would never venture out at night. My guess is the guy that got it was just another guy that called on them. Maybe the sellers were won over by his southern charm, smile and hospitality.

#10 11 years ago

No, I live like a mile from FUN. There's no way they would've gotten to this place that fast. I respect Steve... I may not like his prices, but he's seemed fairly nice the few times I've seen him in person, and he honored an ebay auction I won on something I paid 3$ for that he had been trying to sell for like 60$ a week earlier.....says volumes, IMHO.

#11 11 years ago

That was basically my guess too, Marc. Someone who was able to get there faster than we were (as we're in Dallas, we're almost two hours away from them) combined with the fact that he either offered to pay more or bought the other machines from them as well.

#12 11 years ago

On to the next!

#13 11 years ago

I think Marc is telling you guys that he scored them. He'll jump in the truck and go at any hour.

#14 11 years ago

He was too busy playing with Hercules.

#15 11 years ago

Well, whatever. Grats, I guess.

Enjoy your massive profit margin.

*Edit* Oh, and I want to know if one of them was diamondplate or otherwise a sample. Was odd that one had the diner grill and the other had the Williams generic speaker grill...

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

THAT'S what I'm talking about! Is that really too much to ask for? I bereby sentence you to a week of entering "poo" as your high score initials!

#17 11 years ago

You should have offered to take everything, they probably found one person who would.

Quoted from Frax:

we already had an agreement with the seller to go and get the Diners tomorrow evening

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

My guess is the guy that got it was just another guy that called on them. Maybe the sellers were won over by his southern charm, smile and hospitality.

That has to be one hellavah "southern smile" that it charmed its way through a phone call.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

You should have offered to take everything, they probably found one person who would.

Yeah, I'll let you know when I have the space, transport, and money to waste on a crap pin like Dolly Parton that's so well known to be a piece of trash that people are trying to fully convert it into another game. Skateball I probably would've made an offer on it had I gotten the chance, just because it would've been easy to sell inside our local club for same price or not much more.

You got a vehicle that can move 4 pins at once? Grats to you. I've got a CR-V and a civic hybrid...let me know how that one works out.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from revmex:

That has to be one hellavah "southern smile" that it charmed its way through a phone call.

He probably took Jasmine with him.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

He probably took Jasmine with him.

That's a little to inside of a joke for Pinside, wasn't that on the local email list? Besides I think she was the one who got the HIVs and is now retired. Ask Barry Sanders, he'll know.

#22 11 years ago

A little touchy, no? If I think it'll help, I've picked up tons of crap I didn't want in order to get a deal done.

I go to enterprise and rent a cargo van for $65. That would fit 4 pins easy. It's not rocket science.

Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I'll let you know when I have the space, transport, and money to waste on a crap pin like Dolly Parton that's so well known to be a piece of trash that people are trying to fully convert it into another game. Skateball I probably would've made an offer on it had I gotten the chance, just because it would've been easy to sell inside our local club for same price or not much more.

You got a vehicle that can move 4 pins at once? Grats to you. I've got a CR-V and a civic hybrid...let me know how that one works out.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I go to enterprise and rent a cargo van for $65. That would fit 4 pins easy. It's not rocket science.

or install a trailer hitch

#24 11 years ago

Renting U-Haul trucks is bullshit, but their trailer rentals are actually a decent deal. Plus you don't have to worry about them breaking down.

Even a Home Depot truck, 90 minutes for $40 then $20 per hour. You could rent that for 4 hours for $100.

Quoted from sanctumwear:

or install a trailer hitch

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

A little touchy, no? If I think it'll help, I've picked up tons of crap I didn't want in order to get a deal done.

Maybe. What of it? Sorry, I feel like I deserve to be just a little bit irked when I get jacked on a deal where it was only up for less than 10 minutes before contact was made, and a time was arranged to go get them.

Anyways, I'm tired of explaining that THEY told me to come the next day, so renting anything wasn't even an option, even assuming the rental places were still open as late as it was, which I very seriously doubt.

Marc has the cashflow and the vehicles, it's his *business* to get it done. I don't resent him for that, but on the other hand, the sellers are total scumbags for setting up an appointment they had zero intention of keeping or honoring. Had they said "Well, we aren't going to hold it and if someone gets here in the next hour even though you said you could be here in 2, and we told you to wait, we're going to sell it to them ANYWAYS" then I would just let it roll off like water on a teflon pan.

Whatever. I'm gonna keep frax'ing about it until I'm blue in the face, and you'll keep on not caring, so let's call it even there.

#26 11 years ago

It's still totally crappy that the seller reneged on the deal. And it's crappy if the buyer knew there was a deal in place and undercut Frax. Although it's possible the second buyer didn't know.

I had a situation like that happen when I was looking for a TSPP. One showed up on CL. I called the guy. He said someone else had agreed to pick the game up, then gave me the option of paying more to get the game. Even though it was a really good deal, I refused to undercut the first buyer. I treat others the way I'd like to be treated. Then a few months later, I got an even better deal. Honor prevails.

#27 11 years ago

So Marc, how much for the Skateball?

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Well, whatever. Grats, I guess.

Enjoy your massive profit margin.

I don't know where this deal was posted, but this story is a common CL scenario. Purchases are always risky with an unknown seller if someone is closer and shows up first.

If you really want a Diner, keep watching. I bet one will become available for sale soon.

If you only wanted to make money off the seller for your own massive profit margin... well, win a few, lose a few.

#29 11 years ago

My experience with buying from CL has been nothing but honorable sellers. When I committed, they held up their deal.

When they committed to other buyers, they held up their deal with them.

I guess I must be the exception.

When selling, I have never been in a situation to enjoy backstabbing and bidding wars. Usually that "one" guy calls, comes and pays and leaves. No worries.

#30 11 years ago

It's still totally crappy that the seller reneged on the deal. And it's crappy if the buyer knew there was a deal in place and undercut Frax. Although it's possible the second buyer didn't know.

I knew nothing of them having any other agreements, just the one I made with them which involved a classic trade of $100 bills for pinballs. The games were not steal by any stretch but I gave them what they wanted and I got what I wanted. Easy enough.

IMG-20130304-00042.jpgIMG-20130304-00042.jpg

#31 11 years ago

ROFL, Marc did buy them, ahahahahahahahaha.

#32 11 years ago

Actually, I do care. And it sucks. Just thought you were a bit short is all.

I don't know anything about your business arrangements or that kind of stuff. I wish I believed in Karma, but I can sincerely say that it sucks.

Quoted from Frax:

Whatever. I'm gonna keep frax'ing about it until I'm blue in the face, and you'll keep on not caring, so let's call it even there.

#33 11 years ago

damn pin flippers.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

damn pin flippers.

I hear ya.....sorry bastards bring life back to dead pins and introduce new people to the hobby but because they make a buck at it somehow they are the devil.

Heard it all before...Second verse same as the first.

#35 11 years ago

I was joking, I probably should have made that known in my response. Sarcasm just doesn't work well on the internet. 8-(

#36 11 years ago

All good, my response was sarcastic as well and I didn't take it personal I can assure you. But it is amazing how a little makes it all better

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

amazing how a little makes it all better

Fixed for ya.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Actually, they f'ed me over. They told us that we couldn't go get them last night, that it was going to be too late, to come tomorrow evening, then turned around and sold them to someone else. We had cash in hand and offered to go get them.

Quoted from Marc:

I knew nothing of them having any other agreements, just the one I made with them which involved a classic trade of $100 bills for pinballs. The games were not steal by any stretch but I gave them what they wanted and I got what I wanted. Easy enough.

Marc, serious question here and no judgement at all, I don't know the facts. Did they say they wanted you not come that night? What did you say to them to get them to let you come over. I've called people, told them that I had full price cash, truck ready to roll, can come now, they wanted to wait, then they took a different deal, usually forgetting to call me to cancel until I get there.

What's the magic to unlock these crazy sellers sometimes?

#39 11 years ago

Marc is a tough chap to beat at this game. I have been "undercut" a few times with him but I still managed a few myself. Like the other night picking up a Early Sample Mystic with the 3D eyeball. Yea nobody probably even realized that one.........It will be at the show one of these years. I have an NOS backglass and the playfield is in really great shape. Cabinet paint and bingo. Marc even sold me the better of the 2 cabinets.

Hey, You have to be ready to skoot and have cash in hand. Because at the end of the day....

Cash talks.......

#40 11 years ago

True that.
    Further more....to what Classic_Stern said.

The guy wanted to move the games.
    You've got one guy that want's to buy the 2 more desirable games of the lot and leave the seller with the remaining..ho hum titles.

While buyer #2 says. You want $2100 for them all. I'll take them, I'm on my way with $100 bills in hand. This scenario the deal is said and done and all pins are sold and the seller is happy.

On the flip side to this Frax. There have been several times where I have offered things for sale on Craigslist, buyers have said they want it ..and then...it's crickets churping, no show. Seller looked at Marc as a for sure sale of all 4 games, not leaving any turds behind.

Bottom line. Cash Talks.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

Marc, serious question here and no judgement at all, I don't know the facts. Did they say they wanted you not come that night? What did you say to them to get them to let you come over. I've called people, told them that I had full price cash, truck ready to roll, can come now, they wanted to wait, then they took a different deal, usually forgetting to call me to cancel until I get there.

$$$$$

#42 11 years ago

Yeah FRAX your at 51,000 Karma points!!!

I guess they need to put an Avatar of you beside Llloyds on the main page.
    "Got a pinball related thread"...post it here for Frax to add his .02 cents

....couldn't resist.

Sorry bro...just messin' with ya.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

Maybe a golden tongue?? I have no idea. Usually when I buy stuff it is pretty straight forward, if the numbers work I just keep printing the money, if the numbers don't then I move on. This guy flipped gas pumps, signs and early coin op. I'm sure if he could have fixed the pins then he would have and moved them that way.

Every situation is different but with this guy the no bullshit approach worked. He didn't care about you and your dad playing it when you were a kid. Or that you are a wounded war vet with a kid that has cancer and a one eyed wife with a stump for a leg that talks with a lisp and all you ever wanted to get them was a pinball machine. He just wanted cash and them out of his way. I was in, paid, loaded and out in about 30 min. Perfect!

#44 11 years ago

There's 2 diners - sell frax one at a decent price !!!

Can't really blame the buyer on this one. Even if he did know the buyer had a verbal agreement it's not his to keep. People who don't honor verbal agreements suck. I let a friend of mine borrow rent money as she was about to get evicted right before Xmas and is a single mom. Was promised to be paid back in full (no interest) when she got her income tax return back. Didn't want to loan her the money as it was more money than I felt comfortable loaning a friend but I felt bad and she had no where else to go.

Anyway She filed her return 6 weeks ago and now is claiming her return is held up. I filed my return a couple of weeks ago and IRS already Payed me back. I guess its possible she is telling the truth but i Have a bad feeling that I'm not gonna get paid back. Which sucks because the money she owes me I could buy a decent lower end pin or half of a mid range pin.

Whenever you are going to buy a pin and have a verbal agreement I would try to put down a small refundable payment to hold the pins. Once people have a down payment they are less likely to renig as they know you are going to show up. Just a thought

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Sorry bro...just fraxxin' with ya.

Fixed.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Yeah FRAX your at 51,000 Karma points!!!
    I guess they need to put an Avatar of you beside Llloyds on the main page.
    "Got a pinball related thread"...post it here for Frax to add his .02 cents
    ....couldn't resist.
    Sorry bro...just messin' with ya.

LMFAO. That is priceless.

I bow before the Fount of Knowledge that is Lloyd. I am merely the groveling joker at the king's feet by comparison.

That's my .02.

*edit* Marc, you didn't answer me if one was diamondplate or not. I would guess not since you don't seem to think they were that good of a deal. =\

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

*edit* Marc, you didn't answer me if one was diamondplate or not. I would guess not since you don't seem to think they were that good of a deal. =\

They could have been free and delivered and I would still say they weren't that good of a deal because now I just have more crap to fix.

Haven't even unfolded them to really look them over, I just shoved them in the warehouse to get them off the truck. I doubt one is but you never know. When I bought my SC I never really looked at it and then nearly 2 years later when I unfolded it and popped the lock I found out it was a prototype so ya never know.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from jaydawg0006:

There's 2 diners - sell frax one at a decent price !!!

Absolutely! But which one of us gets to dictate the "decent" price???

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Absolutely! But which one of us gets to dictate the "decent" price???

Oh yeah, like that's not an obvious answer. Me, because I wouldn't pay more than what the guy was asking, lol. I like projects, but I don't like losing my shirt fixing them! And all it would take for you to crank up the price would be to plug sucker in and see if it starts, LOL. I hope for your sake there's no batteries left in that thing...dude told us that they had been in storage for 5 years.

Besides, let's be honest here...if I'm buying a game from you, it's Space Station, if you never sold it. Diner was a target of opportunity because I've never played one and it's got decent resell value, and I'm pretty familiar with fixing sys 11/wpc.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Besides, let's be honest here...if I'm buying a game from you, it's Space Station, if you never sold it.

Still got it...hasn't moved.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soanyone-here-in-dallaswaco-pick-up-4-pins-tonight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.