Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mbecker
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Engineer.jpg
    image.jpg
    homemade-pinball-pachinko-machine.jpg
    There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That may work for some of you, but I won't waste my time applying for a job without knowing what the pay is.

Interesting! In my line of work I invest multi millions of dollars into projects with no guarantee of what kind of return I will see when I come out back end. I do it based on a belief and my instinct! I'm never guaranteed a single cent when I get started on these projects.

I could see jumping all over this type of "job" based on a belief and a desire to "create" something interesting and super cool. Money isn't always the motivating factor to everyone and when there is this kind of open invitation for such a captivating endeavor, well, I might be inclined to jump all over it. Money be damned.

QSS

PS I think I might even be qualified for this particular "job".

#52 8 years ago

On a positive note, sounds like one would get to work with Eric Meunier and that would be pretty awesome, he is a great dude!

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

In my line of work I invest multi millions of dollars into projects with no guarantee of what kind of return I will see when I come out back end.

In my line of work I get guaranteed pay before I start so I won't have to take it in the back end.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In my line of work I get guaranteed pay before I start so I won't have to take it in the back end.

Fair enough, I get that. We obviously live in different worlds and that's ok. My point is I don't need guaranteed money when I get into a project for significant dollars. I'm comfortable making really big bets on something I believe in. Hell, if the project is right I'll go into it with nothing guaranteed up front. If however that particular project was a success I would structure it in a way that I would receive a healthy reward on the back end.

I get it that you need "guaranteed pay" before you put skin into the game. As I see it that's the way the world roles, you live in your world and I live in mine. It's cool brother.

QSS

#55 8 years ago

I could see jumping all over this type of "job" based on a belief and a desire to "create" something interesting and super cool. Money isn't always the motivating factor to everyone and when there is this kind of open invitation for such a captivating endeavor, well, I might be inclined to jump all over it. Money be damned.

That's a nice sentiment, but not everyone can afford to say "money be damned".

If this was a $50k position for instance, would you take it?

#56 8 years ago

One of the best ways to turn a hobby into a chore is to make it your day job.

That said, my guess on salary is 68-75k starting. I'd be more interested in the hours per week expected though.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Amen. I even have a pay guarantee plan if work drys up due to economic downturn. When I was young and stupid I chased the carrot. Now carrot chase me. (Said in Yakov voice)

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

One of the best ways to turn a hobby into a chore is to make it your day job.
    That said, my guess on salary is 68-75k starting. I'd be more interested in the hours per week expected though.

I'd want more than 75k if i was an accomplished ME. My guess is more in the low 6 figs for someone able to turn out good work quickly.

#59 8 years ago

Bump for pinball! Serious responses will go out of the public eye and some Pinsider may land a dream job.

#60 8 years ago

The cool thing is... it's like Pay it Forward.. Keefer was a enthusiast amoung us before he landed his job at Williams. Several people from even earlier times got their initial contact at Williams through RGP.

So thanks for thinking of us Keith

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Same here. But I do have a dream of becoming an engineer after I retire.
    Engineer.jpg

Toot toot

#62 8 years ago

Interesting! In my line of work I invest multi millions of dollars into projects with no guarantee of what kind of return I will see when I come out back end. I do it based on a belief and my instinct! I'm never guaranteed a single cent when I get started on these projects.
    QSS
    PS I think I might even be qualified for this particular "job".

I've got several projects for you to invest in

Ever invested in the game industry or online software industry? Pm here...

#63 8 years ago

Sounds like a neat opportunity!

I hope some Pinsider lands the position. Thanks for including us, Keith...I hope it all works out for you guys.

Pete

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

I'd want more than 75k if i was an accomplished ME. My guess is more in the low 6 figs for someone able to turn out good work quickly.

This is pinball man, not a private consulting firm. This isn't a job you take for the money, you take it because you love pinball and want to be part of an awesome and unique opportunity.

Highly doubt any pin company can afford to shell out 100k+ for a single engineer new to the team.

#65 8 years ago

So....does that mean you quit your "real job" in order to make "peanuts" just because it would be cool to be involved in the development of a pinball machine?

I'll keep my "real job".

I've been in manufacturing for 34+ years. The problem w/ most companies, these days, is they want engineers at a low paying salary. The ones they get are the kids fresh out of school who don't know squat. I have to deal w/ these "still wet behind the ears" engineers all of the time. That's what my customers appreciate about me. I'm not afraid to tell their design is sh!t. I can't count the number of times I've completely re-designed their parts in order to make it "work".

As the saying goes...you "get what you paid for".

Any "seasoned" mechanical engineer will require a "decent" salary.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

So....does that mean you quit your "real job" in order to make "peanuts" just because it would be cool to be involved in the development of a pinball machine?
    I'll keep my "real job".
    I've been in manufacturing for 34+ years. The problem w/ most companies, these days, is they want engineers at a low paying salary. The ones they get are the kids fresh out of school who don't know squat. I have to deal w/ these "still wet behind the ears" engineers all of the time. That's what my customers appreciate about me. I'm not afraid to tell their design is sh!t. I can't count the number of times I've completely re-designed their parts in order to make it "work".

Exactly.

Good luck with the search Keith, very cool of you to post the offer here!

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I could see someone who has already made themselves financially secure taking a job like this for the opportunity to work on cool stuff, even if the pay was low. How would it feel to be able to point Rudy and say, "I made that".

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I could see someone who has already made themselves financially secure taking a job like this for the opportunity to work on cool stuff, even if the pay was low. How would it feel to be able to point Rudy and say, "I made that".

I agree.

I think it would be really cool to be able to do that.

#69 8 years ago

If I had the background and was actually in the general vicinity, I would certainly be tempted. Sounds like it could be a fun gig.

I'm not sure how much my actual professional skillset would be of use for designing games or working at the factory, though

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

On a positive note, sounds like one would get to work with Eric Meunier and that would be pretty awesome, he is a great dude!

if you think he is great, you should meet his brother!

#71 8 years ago

Think Jack of All Trades is apt for that job. I'd love to give this career path a whirl one day. My dream job for sure.
    Even have a degree and experience that is relevant! GROAN! Shouldn't of bought the new house in St. Louis 8 months ago!

You should hire one of those Maker guy's from the Pinball Expo. Tattoo Mystique, Muppets and Charlie Brown displays.

If I had access to all the Rapid Pro typing tools and some training on the Vacuum Mold injection process. I'd of built my own pin by now.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I'll keep my "real job".

I see that a lot too, a company finds that they can get an entry level engineer for $60k to 70k or an experienced guy for $100k, they'll just hire a bunch of entry level guys. What they don't realize is that a good experienced guy can do the work of 4 or 5 entry level guys (at least in my field, software engineering). Picking the wrong experienced guy though can also happen, and be worse than an entry level guy.

In engineering, experience pays. You may think you're saving a bunch of money by going cheap but it's going to cost you many times over in rework and maintenance.

#73 8 years ago

My experience in manufacturing an ideal ratio is 2 to 3 experienced guys to one newbie. Things are still controlled anf you get to train someone to work as you want at a cheaper rate.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

In engineering, experience pays. You may think you're saving a bunch of money by going cheap but it's going to cost you many times over in rework and maintenance.

Yep...

I'm a firm believer in doing the job right the 1st time.

I just walked away from a rush job w/ a customer. They needed a 3 day turn-around, which I could have done. The problem was, I found several errors in the geometry and pointed this out to the mechanical engineer I was dealing with. He refused to return my calls/emails...so I called purchasing and told them I won't do the job.

Sure...I could have machined the parts and easily met their delivery schedule. I would have delivered parts that were "to print" but they wouldn't have been usable. I could have delivered those incorrect parts, knowing that I'd soon be receiving a new quote request to machine the parts to the correct geometry...making twice the money on that project. I don't operate that way. I want the job done right the 1st time.

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

if you think he is great, you should meet his brother!

Don't even get me started on that guy.

#76 8 years ago

I would be shocked if this was 6 figures. Don't get into pinball if your main goal is making money.

#77 8 years ago

I'd be thrilled to do something like this for a living. Even at the lower prices guessed here. I'd love to do what I enjoy for a living, even a more modest one. Shame I have none of the required skills.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

my guess on salary is 68-75k starting.

Pipe dream if that's the range. Realistically, I'll bet the starting salary is more around $40-50k.

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Pipe dream if that's the range. Realistically, I'll bet the starting salary is more around $40-50k.

Most entry level ME jobs pay higher than that

#80 8 years ago

I almost applied for John's "CAD Monkey" posting a few years ago. Made a comment about working remotely and he said sure. Glad I didn't do that. This would be a ton of fun, but the family is pretty firmly rooted here.

#81 8 years ago

Where is Brian Eddy? I would be pounding on his door. He is pinball gold! Hes got the midas touch.

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

gooterman said:

If only i didn't have a good job already

Same here. But I do have a dream of becoming an engineer after I retire.

HAHA... working on those IS my day job

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from gooterman:

HAHA... working on those IS my day job

You work at Disneyland?

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

This /\

Quoted from schudel5:

Unless they get lucky & score some retired or soon to retire pinhead engineer who does the job for fun... i think it's near total fantasy they get an experienced candidate to work for under 50.

#86 8 years ago

Salary needs to be raised .05 percent to cover Pinside fees.

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I almost applied for John's "CAD Monkey" posting a few years ago. Made a comment about working remotely and he said sure. Glad I didn't do that

Be very glad.. everyone that ever did work for him, gave him parts, or paid him money for a pinball that will never be built feels very used.

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

That's a nice sentiment, but not everyone can afford to say "money be damned".
    If this was a $50k position for instance, would you take it?

Today and in the next 1 to 2 years I would not take this job. I'm up to my ass in debt, commitments and stress. If I actually survive it all I'll be coming out the back end smelling like a rose. Once that all happens I will be looking to change how things are in my life and a job like this would be right up my alley. The pay wouldn't matter.

QSS

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

I've got several projects for you to invest in
    Ever invested in the game industry or online software industry? Pm here...

See post #89. Debt, stress, commitments, yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm in no position for another cool, awesome project right at this moment although it sounds interesting. Give me a couple of years then we'll talk.

QSS

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Unless they get lucky & score some retired or soon to retire pinhead engineer who does the job for fun... i think it's near total fantasy they get an experienced candidate to work for under 50.

And this is the reason they're posting job descriptions on Pinside? They aren't looking for a ME to hire and pay $100k a year, they're looking for some pinball hobbiest they can snag for half that.

#91 8 years ago

Would be awesome if Wally could step up and rock some stuff for them!

#92 8 years ago

I think you all need to give us a LITTLE credit that we know what a good ME is worth.

I'm not posting on pinside to "snag" an enthusiast on the cheap, I'm posting on pinside because I value someone who has pinball knowledge coming in. It's just good business to me.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I think you all need to give us a LITTLE credit that we know what a good ME is worth.
    I'm not posting on pinside to "snag" an enthusiast on the cheap, I'm posting on pinside because I value someone who has pinball knowledge coming in. It's just good business to me.

Wally is retired and works hard at staying that way.

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Wally is retired and works hard at staying that way.

Sorry, meant to quote Centerflank.

#95 8 years ago

Good luck with your search Keith. Hopefully you will find a great fit for JJP.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

And this is the reason they're posting job descriptions on Pinside? They aren't looking for a ME to hire and pay $100k a year, they're looking for some pinball hobbiest they can snag for half that.

Hope you get hired schudel5 as you know your pinball stuff inside and out.

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Drug test? Sorry, I can't take it because I did not study for it..

They should drug test anyone that considers sending pre-order money, not those seeking employment

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

We have a pretty awesome track record at Ars Technica with hiring people from our own community. Big advantage to getting someone who already knows the culture and what you do intimately. Doesn't always work, we have outside hires too, but I think that maybe even 4/5 of our people came from "inside" in one way or another. My anecdotal observation (I've been with Ars now for nearly 13 years) is that people who you bring in that way are happier about what they do, more passionate about their work, and tend to stay longer.

We get just as much noise any time we post something job related too.

Good luck Keith!

#99 8 years ago

Heighway does not drug test by the way.

#californialivin'

There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-you-want-to-make-pinball-machines/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.