(Topic ID: 272854)

So, you want to be an operator at MSP international airport?

By EJS

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5751 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

1) Brew a fresh pot of coffee.
    2) Start reading.

If you think going to your local city hall to get some stickers is a pain in the butt, check this out. I am looking over a 2001 copy of a manual (pic attached) for proposals to put games in the Minneapolis (MSP) airport. Your proposal must be no greater than 15 pages in length. This covers both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 (Lindbergh and Humphrey)

There is a lot of fascinating reading and a lot of dry reading. You get some of the obvious stuff like "green sticker only" games.

Yes, there is even a page of past coin drop performance and split percentage between the operator and the airport. Also yes, since this was published in 2001 you see the staggering numbers in September.

The back portion of this manual is extremely dry which is a manual that basically applies to anyone doing business in the airport. What type of carpeting, lighting, signage you can have -- or not. A good portion revolves around news stands and food vendors like how to hang your menus.

I'm thinking about converting this into a digital copy so others can appreciate this as a historical item. However I don't have any way of hosting this online. It would probably be the equivalent of 2 or 3 pinball manuals. I'm looking through it to see if there is any reason why I couldn't do this ie copyright issues but haven't seen anything so far. It was probably a public document for anyone to grab for whoever wanted to put games in. I'd probably cover up names, phone numbers, e mails etc and there are a lot of them for inspectors and permits. There are blueprints of the airport in here but they don't seem very revealing of unknown information and probably obsolete.

IMG_5751 (resized).JPGIMG_5751 (resized).JPG
    #2 3 years ago

That surely is an interesting piece you have there, it's a part of the gaming history and it's business life.

You should be able to upload it to the internet archive, it's free and they store files permanently.

Archive.org

#3 3 years ago

Cool!! Good luck

#4 3 years ago

Clearly part of the requirement to operate pins at MSP was that at least one flipper should not work, coin acceptor should not register and at least 2 rubbers should be broken and in the playfield at all times. At least that was my experience with pins in the decade of using that arcade (Lucky Lindy's) before they closed it.

#5 3 years ago

I was there. It sucked and

#6 3 years ago

This made me somewhat sad. How did the world get so complex that things like this exist?

#7 3 years ago

That airport used to have 3 arcades with pins. Granted most didn't work right. I don't think any pins are left

#8 3 years ago

Here is a more modern federal RFP to run an arcade on an Alaskan Air Force Base. 2016
    https://beta.sam.gov/opp/6672c61ab6d04572d43eeb0d6efb428d/view?keywords=Arcade&sort=-relevance&index=opp&is_active=true&page=1
    Iron Man and Mustang!

I do capture management on the side for my employer and the keyword pinball has never shown up on FBO or SAM.gov.

#9 3 years ago

I miss the pins in Humphrey terminal. Spent a lot of time playing RCT and others from that era there. My wife missed a flight once because she was having a killer game.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from A_Bord:

My wife missed a flight once because she was having a killer game.

She's a keeper!

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

This made me somewhat sad. How did the world get so complex that things like this exist?

Tort law and the exponential rise in civil injury claims.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from A_Bord:

I miss the pins in Humphrey terminal. Spent a lot of time playing RCT and others from that era there. My wife missed a flight once because she was having a killer game.

I almost did too while playing stern POTC. It kept giving me free balls. I bet I played for an hour. Had to leave mid game after I heard my name on the loudspeaker

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-you-want-to-be-an-operator-at-msp-international-airport and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.