(Topic ID: 224656)

So you buy a new game. Any temptation to set it to 5 ball?

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“So you buy a new game. Any temptation to set it to 5 ball?”

• Gotta admit, I've done this. 36 votes
    28%
  • Booooooooooooo! 93 votes
    72%

(129 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shame (resized).jpg
357B1E30-93B2-47EA-8701-B7227A8523CD (resized).jpeg
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Loving my new BM66, but with all the latest code, I wanna get to the good stuff. I know this is akin to a billiards player using a bridge, but my high scores are gonna get wiped out with the next code update anyway.

I know the downside is the lack of surprise when you finally get to a certain point, but I've been playing like crap lately.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this.

#2 5 years ago

I don't do it but it's your game. If it increases your enjoyment of the game I say go for it.

#3 5 years ago

I don't because once I beat a game I lose interest in it. I have a buddy I got into pinball that was SO BAD he initially set his pins to 10 ball until he could have a reasonable game, then 5, then finally 3. Kind of like training wheels. He still didn't get far with the 5 and 10, but they let him learn the ropes without getting too frustrated.

#4 5 years ago

All my games are set to 5 ball.

I get a lot of crap about this from my "friends", but as I read here once, "Hey it's your game. If you want to play a longer 5 ball game rather than two 3 ball games, go for it."

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't because once I beat a game I lose interest in it. I have a buddy I got into pinball that was SO BAD he initially set his pins to 10 ball until he could have a reasonable game

...and THIS is how I feel superior.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

All my games are set to 5 ball.
I get a lot of crap about this from my "friends", but as I read here once, "Hey it's your game. If you want to play a longer 5 ball game rather than two 3 ball games, go for it."

Bless you, Sir.

I'm an old guy (cue Grandpa Simpson meme) but in my day, all games were 5 ball.

....and don't even think about walking on my lawn.

#7 5 years ago

I have all mine set to 5 ball. Go for it. I'm probably not that great of a player so it helps see some more than I would on 3 ball.

#8 5 years ago

I set mine on 5 ball for one day, but felt guilty and set it back to 3. Anyway it is hobbit so 3 balls should be enough

#9 5 years ago

I don't know if I'm as old as @pismoarcade, but I also grew up with 5 ball games. All mine are on 5 ball as well.

#10 5 years ago

Tim Arnold's Pinball Hall of Fame usually has the new Sterns set to a high price with a "Full Five Ball Game" notation.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't because once I beat a game I lose interest in it. I have a buddy I got into pinball that was SO BAD he initially set his pins to 10 ball until he could have a reasonable game, then 5, then finally 3. Kind of like training wheels. He still didn't get far with the 5 and 10, but they let him learn the ropes without getting too frustrated.

I do the same thing but start with 9 balls. As I learn more of the game I go down to 5 and then 3. Nothing wrong with that if you're not a good player.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

I don't know if I'm as old as pismoarcade, but I also grew up with 5 ball games. All mine are on 5 ball as well.

I'm in my late 50's. Grew up with 2 huge arcades within walking distance in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

...all set to 5 ball.

#13 5 years ago

In the 70's most games were 25c. When games started going to 50c AND they were set on 3 ball we went somewhere else. I mean damn 50c and ONLY 3 balls. Your nuts.

So yes, all mine are on 5 ball but my stuff is early ss too.

#14 5 years ago

Depends on the game but I set them to 5 ball minimum and at times higher if I have time for a long game. I play for me and don’t give a steaming crap what anyone thinks about it. I just wish my LOTR could go higher than 5 balls. About the only way I will ever see Valinor. lol

The real question is how do you change your settings to make the gameplay more appealing. Settings can have more of an effect than number of balls.

#15 5 years ago

Nothing wrong with 5 ball. It's a good way to le finish run the rules of a game without getting too frustrated. Then it feels amazing to set a new grand champion once you e set back to 3 ball.

#16 5 years ago

Nope, 5 ball is training wheels. But it’s your game, your house, do what you want.

#17 5 years ago

I set all mine to 5 ball too. I generally suck and like to see some of the features. I also could care less what others think of 5 ball.

#18 5 years ago

Poll shows me as part of the 22%.

Better than I thought!

#19 5 years ago

10 balls not an option? Whaaaaaat!?!?

#20 5 years ago

I’ve set a number of my pins to 5 balls as well; and the main reason is that my wife and youngest son find them far more enjoyable as well as less frustrating.
They like to see some of the more difficult to reach modes or levels. This is particularly the case on my newer Sterns where I have them set up a bit steeper and playing very fast.
For myself and older son, it’s not ideal and from time to time, we move them back to 3 ball and closer to factory settings.
For my friends who are more avid players, the pins are always re-set back to 3-ball factory levels.
The most important objective in our house is for everyone to have a blast.
If we were competitive players or participated in a league, all pins would be set up 3 ball for certain.

#21 5 years ago

Feel no Shame.

357B1E30-93B2-47EA-8701-B7227A8523CD (resized).jpeg357B1E30-93B2-47EA-8701-B7227A8523CD (resized).jpeg
#22 5 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I’ve set a number of my pins to 5 balls as well; and the main reason is that my wife and youngest son find them far more enjoyable as well as less frustrating.
They like to see some of the more difficult to reach modes or levels. This is particularly the case on my newer Sterns where I have them set up a bit steeper and playing very fast.
For myself and older son, it’s not ideal and from time to time, we move them back to 3 ball and closer to factory settings.
For my friends who are more avid players, the pins are always re-set back to 3-ball factory levels.
The most important objective in our house is for everyone to have a blast.
If we were competitive players or participated in a league, all pins would be set up 3 ball for certain.

Totally agree. The wife and kids wouldn't even play if it was 3 ball.

#23 5 years ago

5 balls on anything other than an old EM, naw never have done it. But I don't expect everyone else go have grown up playing pinball and be totally awesome at it so I guess they can do whatever they like.

#24 5 years ago

All my games are set up to three balls with extra balls off except my EM games but it's your machine set it up the way you enjoy it.

#25 5 years ago

All set on 5 , want my grandchildren to enjoy playing.

#26 5 years ago

The key is to learn how to obtain extra balls on each game. Get that sorted and most games become 5 ball

#27 5 years ago

Count me in on the 5 ball. I’m older so it seems normal. I grew up on 5 ball games.
That and the ever so deep rules on Stern make for a more enjoyable experience imho.

#28 5 years ago

Its your game, do what makes you happy! When Pinside starts crowdfunding your collection, they can tell you how many balls you can play.

#29 5 years ago

I tried to stay true to the 3 ball, but some games I just could not make significant advancement without using 5 ball. I switched my Star Wars LE, Ghostbusters LE and GOTG Pro to 5 ball. It started with Ghostbusters and the flipper gap- I was literally getting kicked in the nuts with ball drains. Some games would be a sin to change to 5 ball-like Transformers, Hobbit, and other long ball time games.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

All set on 5 , want my grandchildren to enjoy playing.

Mine are all set to 5 as well for the same sort of reason. The kids’ friends and neighbors “aren’t that good” and I don’t want their game to be over in 2 minutes. 5 balls gives them a fighting chance for a multi-ball or other fun features.

#31 5 years ago

Never crossed my mind to change the # of balls for a game.

#32 5 years ago

All mine set to 5 ball. When I started in the hobby we also used to remove all the tilt pendulums...but now I leave them in. Change all the points awards for specials and such to extra balls. Why the hell not...this is supposed to be fun.

#33 5 years ago

My GOTG is set to 5, i'm not the player some are, and I want to proceed through some of the objectives farther.

#34 5 years ago

You can also try setting the ball save to a longer time, setting the timers on any modes to last longer if applicable, and awarding an extra ball for getting a fixed replay score in addition to the five balls. Can always reset the scores like you said and go back to defaults once you have the shots, rules, and strategy figured out. No shame in having fun. Do what works for you! The only caveat is that if you do anything super cool like get to a difficult wizard mode, it is a bit bittersweet.

#35 5 years ago

Nope. I will admit to setting special to awarding an extra ball because it's free play

#36 5 years ago
shame (resized).jpgshame (resized).jpg
#37 5 years ago

I should have noted in my previous post that I have a LOTR. Want to see if I can get an hour long game with 5 balls.

My record so far is 48 minutes...

#38 5 years ago

My neighbor has his games on 5 ball, however I didn't notice if he had ball save. Mine are 3 ball but I added ball save some games longer bs than others. IMVE is 10 seconds, WOZ is 3.

I also have you can't start a new game until you finish the one your playing. However, I have adjusted replay up to 4 times based on scoring, that way if I have a stinko game it won't last long but a game that I'm having success with will last longer and I can get into deeper play. I'm not that good a player so this works for me.

#39 5 years ago

You can make a 3 ball game play like a 5 ball with extra ball settings, ball save time, moving posts in, etc. And just the opposite on a 5 ball

Don’t let the 3 ballers shame you!

Play it however you like it!!!

You aren’t Bowen or Elwin, thankfully, imagine how boring a pin would get so fast being that good

#40 5 years ago

I played TSPP with 5 balls when I first bought it. I see no shame in that.

#41 5 years ago

I wish all pins had an easy access home mode, like hold a flipper and you get 5 ball but no high scores. I put mine on 5 when I feel like it but I always power off so the scores don't save. I've always been a content tourist with video games so I have the same mindset with pinball. If I pay for something I want to see and enjoy all of it.

#42 5 years ago

Seems like a good way to get sick of a game quick. Almost all games have at least one gimme EB, so you are playing 6 balls. If it's a 90s Williams or Pat Lawlor game, you are probably looking at 8-9 balls a game. And, if you are going this route, you probably have your replay set to EB. Maybe even more than one.

so yeah, who wants to play a 5-10 ball game and think they won't get sick of it? If "seeing everything" is your goal just take the glass off and play with your fingers.

Games can be made easier in less dumb ways. You can close up the outlane posts, extended ball saves, etc., and have your game still in some semblance resemble an actual pinball game.

#43 5 years ago

EM- 5 ball
Solid State- 3, or 5
Modern- 3 & leave EB on, or adjust outlanes, PF angle, tilt, and settings if too hard.
Pinball is supposed to be difficult and fun at the same time. 5 ball on a modern game with minute+ ball times is just too long, especially if you have 3-4 players, and extras, etc..
Going 5 ball just cause a game is new is like skipping chapters in a book, don't you want to enjoy the challenge a bit? Doesn't anyone enjoy finding things and figuring out the rules?

#44 5 years ago

what is this, The Confessional?

#46 5 years ago

All on 5. I also set my extra balls to fixed. I like to play longer games and see as much of the game as possible.

When pinheads come play i set to 3 and auto extra ball to shorten games so wait times are not too long.

#47 5 years ago

I didn't realize there was so much animosity towards 5 ball. It's what I grew up with and just seems right. Tough crowd.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

It's what I grew up with and just seems right. Tough crowd.

Seems like this may be a Cali thing?

#49 5 years ago

I have 5 ball on my BOPP.
I have hardest dip switch settings and inlane rubber that make my Stern Galaxy harder with 3 ball. No extra ball.
All modern games I prefer with 3 ball and ball save.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

You can also try setting the ball save to a longer time,

What's ball save?

We went to location and the modern games seemed like 30 minutes. You lost a ball and it just kept getting saved and coming back. If you want 10 balls set it on 10 and be done.

Y'all crazy. It's 5 balls, extra ball if you earn extra ball and special if you earn a special.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-you-buy-a-new-game-any-temptation-to-set-it-to-5-ball?hl=skyrex and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.