Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mbecker
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“So you bought a pinball machine. Has the addiction taken over? How many do you own now?”

• I bought one, and am done. (for now, I think!) 14 votes
      6%
    • I bought one, now I own 5 or less. 92 votes
      37%
    • I thought 5 was my limit, but now it's 10. 57 votes
      23%
    • As long as I keep it under 20, it's not an obsession. 46 votes
      18%
    • Somewhere between 20 and 50. 35 votes
      14%
    • I'm definitely addicted, I own more than 50. 3 votes
      1%
    • I'm consumed by it for life, I own more than 100. 1 vote
    • I don't know what happened, but it's more than 200! 1 vote

(249 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Emperor_RotJ (resized).png
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from PavBall:

My husband told me he wanted ten. We now have ten.
    I'm dubious though of his real intentions because he is now telling me Varkon doesn't count as a pinball that it counts as a video game and he has one at his office and he says that one doesn't count either since it is not in the house. So I guess I will end up living with twelve machines.

Quoted for posterity, this represents your agreement we can have twelve.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from BillR:

I'd have 10 if the air hockey didn't take up so much room

It seems to me like air hockey would be a big hassle. Not only the space, but it takes 2 people to play it. It's not like a pool table where you can run a few racks by yourself and practice.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Quoted for posterity, this represents your agreement we can have twelve.

Varkon doesn't count as pinball, eh? Looks like Pinball Circus is on the menu. Maybe weird games like Super Mario Mushroom World or Night Moves can be counted out as technicalities too?

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Varkon doesn't count as pinball, eh? Looks like Pinball Circus is on the menu. Maybe weird games like Super Mario Mushroom World or Night Moves can be counted out as technicalities too?

Don't judge me. I hit my limit and got desperate!!! LOL!

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Varkon doesn't count as pinball, eh?

You have to admit that was a pretty good one.

#56 8 years ago

I'm at 30, well 32, but 30 is more-or-less max. I don't like actually having that many, but I just can't part with them, down to the nitty gritty now.

I still check kijiji everyday, multiple times, why, I don't know. I've never smoked, used drugs, spent money, gambled, or been an alcoholic. No debt ever. But here I am, more addicted to pinball than I imagined I could ever be to anything.

I tell people at least it holds its value, keeps me at home, blah blah blah. But does any of that really matter? Woukd it change what I do?

#57 8 years ago

I have 48...well 49 (tried to add it to my collection but it says not found in the Pinside database) anyway it is a Williams 1973 OXO.

Started with 1 15 years ago, plan was to have one Williams from each year in the 80s...and it just kept going and going and going...
    it has altered from the original plan to having all the system 7 games, then all the system 9s, then all the system 6s. after all those were accomplished then moved on to system 11s, quit with 9 because I branched out to have a DMD, then 2 DMDs...etc. you all see where this is going right...now have 49, have moved walls doors, gotten rid of furniture and have pins in living room dining room family room entry hall basement and garage, as well as a few in storage...

MODS, I have a few!! I try to do my own when possible, so I have restored or modded most of my games. I have Cointaker, ColorDMD and Super-Bands on speed dial!! I don't even want to think about how much I have invested in each game!! I just wanna play em!!

Phoebe

#58 8 years ago

Im just over a year and a half after my first pin. Had over 13 down to 9 almost had 10 again . Good part now is my wife loves shopping them out and trying out leds colors on them . Who I can say I like my wife shopping !

#59 8 years ago

Another one followed me home today

I seriously need to stop doing this.

#60 8 years ago

Just got my first lady week. I've played it relentlessly, surfed pinside every spare minute at work, and fantasized about my next one every other spare second. I think i need professional help. My pin has become more important than my wife

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

as well as confirmation that we're all completely normal.

...Not quite sure where you have come to this conclusion.

#62 8 years ago

My geography is surrounded by awesome pinball machines, which frees me up to explore the hobby without having to deal with the monkey on my back who has been doing pushups and eating all of his bananas. That said, the inevitability of it is all beginning to set in and our first machine is looming. If we spend too much on it, we'll have to buy an EM at the same time to average out the cost. Seriously, that's the logic coming out of this machine. I'd elaborate but it would only make me look more like a tw@t than I do naturally.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

My geography is surrounded by awesome pinball machines, which frees me up to explore the hobby without having to deal with the monkey on my back who has been doing pushups and eating all of his bananas. That said, the inevitability of it is all beginning to set in and our first machine is looming. If we spend too much on it, we'll have to buy an EM at the same time to average out the cost. Seriously, that's the logic coming out of this machine. I'd elaborate but it would only make me look more like a tw@t than I do naturally.

I totally get it!

#64 8 years ago

Currently have two, yet hoping to have 5-6 one day. Initially didn't think that could be considered, but it makes sense to me as I tend to be a collector and haven't had much collecting interest in a fair while. Hard to really "collect" machines with space/cost, but 5-6 seems to be the goal (depending on the size of the machines). Not sure what happens when I get to that point :p

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Not sure what happens when I get to that point :p

You get another one.

Pinball Collecting Rule #1: Pinball Machines expand to fill all available space plus one.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

You get another one.
    Pinball Collecting Rule #1: Pinball Machines expand to fill all available space plus one.

There's always room for one more, even if there isn't

#67 8 years ago

I started with 3. Now at 9 and counting. Son moved out of the house a few months ago, so I've told the wife that we have all that space in his bedroom to fill up. Good news is he is totally on board with his old bedroom being full of pins.

#68 8 years ago

Went to Texas pinball festival in March and owned zero pinball machines. Now early June and I own 3 already.

#69 8 years ago

For eight years I had two.....then I sold them both and got three.....then four, five & six. But now I'm back to 5 and think I might stay there.....at least for the foreseeable.

#70 8 years ago

Bought 1 in 1982. Waited 31 years to get a 2nd pin. Since 2013 I've added 4 more. Many a night of pinball fun!

#71 8 years ago

Bought my first about a year ago and have two now. Luckily, my wife has more sense than I do or I'd be up to four or five. Once the mortgages are paid and the kids are through school, maybe we'll have the space and disposable income for more. In the meantime, I'm trying to make the two as nice as I can and keeping an eye out for a theme I knw my wife would enjoy.

2 years later
    #72 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i've got money and space, but my wife thinks the things are an abomination. it's a miracle i've been able to keep four (and stay married).

Yep!!!

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Currently have two, yet hoping to have 5-6 one day. Initially didn't think that could be considered, but it makes sense to me as I tend to be a collector and haven't had much collecting interest in a fair while. Hard to really "collect" machines with space/cost, but 5-6 seems to be the goal (depending on the size of the machines). Not sure what happens when I get to that point :p

Two years ago, this pinsider was at 2 Pinballs, with a goal of 5-6....quick check of his profile today and he’s at 7! Lmao

#74 6 years ago

A friend of mine who has no human children now has an RFM as a child, claims it is the one and only pinball machine he ever needs. Occasionally I try to turn him.

Emperor_RotJ (resized).pngEmperor_RotJ (resized).png

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

I have 24 and 3 more on the way.I really need HELP!!!

Update. Collection at 42 now!

#76 6 years ago

I'm at "4 and thank goodness I don't have room for more because I'd have 20". We absolutely do not have room for 5. Well...
    Maybe if I shift the couch over here...

#77 6 years ago

started with 1 4 years ago. did a major reno to max out at 14, bought a new house with a 1300 sq ft basment for more room a month ago but dont move in till march when it closes. Have been buying up games already and putting in storage till the move. Over 20 already lol

#78 6 years ago

Bought my first one when we got a house with a basement last Sept. By Dec. I had my second one. Currently searching for a great deal to get my third.

#79 6 years ago

Still have one after five or six years, too hard to decide on the next one. Waiting for advances and enjoy my APPL pinball league as get to play just about everything that comes out.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

No matter how many you have, or ultimately end up with, it all starts with the first one. Believe me.

Meh, I held at two for almost 20 years before things got crazy. And those two had been heads off in the garage, backglasses stored inside for a long time before my dear, now departed wife bought me the Funhouse for Xmas '08 and officially initiated the descent into madness.

On a practical note, how could it not start with the first one, technically? I wonder if anyone ever started with a shipping container full? I suppose it's possible...

#81 6 years ago

They breed like rabbits. Now at 24, there everywhere, 4 rooms. My goal is to trim back to maybe 14 this year.

3 weeks later
    #82 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Meh, I held at two for almost 20 years before things got crazy. And those two had been heads off in the garage, backglasses stored inside for a long time before my dear, now departed wife bought me the Funhouse for Xmas '08 and officially initiated the descent into madness.
    On a practical note, how could it not start with the first one, technically? I wonder if anyone ever started with a shipping container full? I suppose it's possible...

I know of someone who did this (started with shipping container). Divorce going on around same time - not sure if it came before or after the order for the container full of pins though.. hmmm

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-you-bought-a-pinball-machine-has-the-addiction-taken-over-how-m/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.