(Topic ID: 208801)

So yeah... I delivered a baby

By uncivil_engineer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

63BB18A2-B935-40AC-A9AA-EC565E41D6A8 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Some folks in the SoCal pinball community know me, and my percular family. My family is different because we have a lot of kids (7 now). When I got married 17 years ago my wife and I decided we wanted a large family. We are not particularly religious, we just like kids.

So this brings me to the arrival of my latest kid. My wife was due on January 30th, and she had been having contractions on and off all weekend.

So Monday afternoon at 3pm I get a text message from her that the latest batch of contraction are getting stronger, and that today might be the day. I called her to check in at around 4pm, and her contractions were so strong she could hardly talk to me on the phone. I decided that I was coming home and taking her to the hospital. The one issue was my work was an hour away from the house. My wife told me she thought we still had time because the contractions were still pretty irregular. Weve done this a few times before, so I tend to trust her on these issues.

I get home at 5.. she is obviously in pain. By the time I got her from the house to the van, she had 3 contractions. I told her I didn’t think she would make it to the hospital in Bakersfield. She gave me the look of death and told me she would make it. Our other option was the smaller hospital in Tehachapi, 15 miles away.

No way, she tells me, let’s go to Bakersfield..

We get I the van, head out and get on the road to town. About 2 miles from the house another contraction hits, and hits hard..now Tehachapi hospital is an option.

Two more miles and I hear ‘Oh Crap, my water broke...’. This was shortly followed by: ‘OH MY GOD IM CROWNING’ by now I’m looking for a wide enough spot to pull off the road. We weren’t going to make it to any hospital. The baby was coming, and was not going to wait for us.

With the help of 911, I delivered the baby. I never in my life thought I would have to deliver my own daughter. The baby was out and crying before the first emergency responders even pulled up. They wrapped up mom and baby and they got an ambulance ride down the hill to Bakersfield.

I’m happy to report mommy and baby are now home and doing well.

Looking back, having a baby on the side of the road was one of those things that happened to other people. I never thought my wife and I would experience that.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Hopefully you saved a bundle on medical care too.

I wish... I think what we saved on medical got eaten up by the 50 mile ambulance ride.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

How on Earth can you
    1) live in CA (expensive)
    2) have 7 kids (very very expensive)
    3) and still have money for pins
    Congrats sir.

1) Live in Kern County (not so expensive)
    2). Honestly, the expenses tend to level out after 4.
    3) I’m your classic low-end pin man. I buy them broken, and fix them up. My last restoration has taken nearly 2 years.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Congrats! Boy or girl? Great story to tell the kid later in life. I can't imagine feeding that many kids or taking them shopping for clothes. I guess you can always pass clothes on down with that many. Even with all the headaches, kids are great. I only have three but would be cool to have more. Doubt that is going to happen at this point in life. If you can do it than that's awesome.

It was a girl.. 6lbs 8 ounces..her she is with one of her big sisters.63BB18A2-B935-40AC-A9AA-EC565E41D6A8 (resized).jpeg63BB18A2-B935-40AC-A9AA-EC565E41D6A8 (resized).jpeg

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Did you need to load any of your other kids in the van before heading to the hospital?
    Congrats, and cool story.

Lucky for us, it was just me and Mom in the van. I think seeing their sister being born would have traumatized a few of them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-yeah-i-delivered-a-baby?tu=uncivil_engineer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.