(Topic ID: 208801)

So yeah... I delivered a baby

By uncivil_engineer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

63BB18A2-B935-40AC-A9AA-EC565E41D6A8 (resized).jpeg
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Some folks in the SoCal pinball community know me, and my percular family. My family is different because we have a lot of kids (7 now). When I got married 17 years ago my wife and I decided we wanted a large family. We are not particularly religious, we just like kids.

So this brings me to the arrival of my latest kid. My wife was due on January 30th, and she had been having contractions on and off all weekend.

So Monday afternoon at 3pm I get a text message from her that the latest batch of contraction are getting stronger, and that today might be the day. I called her to check in at around 4pm, and her contractions were so strong she could hardly talk to me on the phone. I decided that I was coming home and taking her to the hospital. The one issue was my work was an hour away from the house. My wife told me she thought we still had time because the contractions were still pretty irregular. Weve done this a few times before, so I tend to trust her on these issues.

I get home at 5.. she is obviously in pain. By the time I got her from the house to the van, she had 3 contractions. I told her I didn’t think she would make it to the hospital in Bakersfield. She gave me the look of death and told me she would make it. Our other option was the smaller hospital in Tehachapi, 15 miles away.

No way, she tells me, let’s go to Bakersfield..

We get I the van, head out and get on the road to town. About 2 miles from the house another contraction hits, and hits hard..now Tehachapi hospital is an option.

Two more miles and I hear ‘Oh Crap, my water broke...’. This was shortly followed by: ‘OH MY GOD IM CROWNING’ by now I’m looking for a wide enough spot to pull off the road. We weren’t going to make it to any hospital. The baby was coming, and was not going to wait for us.

With the help of 911, I delivered the baby. I never in my life thought I would have to deliver my own daughter. The baby was out and crying before the first emergency responders even pulled up. They wrapped up mom and baby and they got an ambulance ride down the hill to Bakersfield.

I’m happy to report mommy and baby are now home and doing well.

Looking back, having a baby on the side of the road was one of those things that happened to other people. I never thought my wife and I would experience that.

#2 6 years ago

Great story ! Congrats to you and family !!

#3 6 years ago

Congrats. You are a hero!

Closest I came was watching my daughter born thru a c-section. Not for the squeamish for sure.

#4 6 years ago

best story on pinside! congrats

#5 6 years ago

That will up your street cred. Well done Dad and congratulations.

#6 6 years ago

Awesome. Congrats!

#7 6 years ago

Only thing missing would be during a trip to pick up a pin.

Congratulations to your family, I am glad Mother and baby are doing good.

LTG : )

#8 6 years ago

Congrats!

#9 6 years ago

Congratulations!!!

#10 6 years ago

Hopefully you saved a bundle on medical care too.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Hopefully you saved a bundle on medical care too.

I wish... I think what we saved on medical got eaten up by the 50 mile ambulance ride.

#12 6 years ago

Congrats!!!

#13 6 years ago

Glad everything went well and baby and mother are fine but 7 kids? You sir are a brave man.I've been with my wife 25 years and I still can't see us ever having 1 child.

#14 6 years ago

Congrats! What a bond you will have with her!

#15 6 years ago

Congratulations, happy to hear everything went well.

#16 6 years ago

Wow! Fantastic memory for you both.

So cool, and I love your pace in telling it!

#17 6 years ago

Congratulations! So happy it worked out. Wow. I just read story to wife, shes happy for you and mama. Ill give you a call when you recover.

#18 6 years ago

Congratulations on number 7!!

#19 6 years ago

Wow wild stuff, congrats on the little one!

#20 6 years ago

Holy cats! Congratulations - really glad it all turned out okay.

#21 6 years ago

Amazing story! Can’t believe that! Congratulations!

#22 6 years ago

Edge of the seat stuff here...
    Great post!!!

#23 6 years ago

Awesome! Now that's a memory to put in the top 5 I bet at least. Though I suspect your wife may have a small quibble with the attribution of who should take credit for the delivery

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Looking back, having a baby on the side of the road was one of those things that happened to other people. I never thought my wife and I would experience that.

Is it wrong my first thought was this Monty Python "Meaning of Life" scene?

...Congrats, btw!

#25 6 years ago

#27 6 years ago

How on Earth can you
    1) live in CA (expensive)
    2) have 7 kids (very very expensive)
    3) and still have money for pins

Congrats sir.

#28 6 years ago

Each kid is a tax write off.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

How on Earth can you
    1) live in CA (expensive)
    2) have 7 kids (very very expensive)
    3) and still have money for pins
    Congrats sir.

1) Live in Kern County (not so expensive)
    2). Honestly, the expenses tend to level out after 4.
    3) I’m your classic low-end pin man. I buy them broken, and fix them up. My last restoration has taken nearly 2 years.

#30 6 years ago

Congrats!

We just had our 4th baby and are already planning for more. I don't find kids very expensive, but they do eat up LOTS of time. We homeschool on top of it all but so far it's working out.

Haven't had to deliver any myself though!

#31 6 years ago

No way, she tells me, let’s go to Bakersfield..

We get I the van, head out and get on the road to town.

I lived in Visalia, and almost all good stories start like this. Glad yours didn't end with a shovel, a hole in the ground, and a meth dealer from Oildale who spared your life because you had a picture of you with the burger king in your wallet. (not my story but from a reputable recovering tweeker friend.)

Congrats!

#32 6 years ago

Congrats! Boy or girl? Great story to tell the kid later in life. I can't imagine feeding that many kids or taking them shopping for clothes. I guess you can always pass clothes on down with that many. Even with all the headaches, kids are great. I only have three but would be cool to have more. Doubt that is going to happen at this point in life. If you can do it than that's awesome.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Congrats! Boy or girl? Great story to tell the kid later in life. I can't imagine feeding that many kids or taking them shopping for clothes. I guess you can always pass clothes on down with that many. Even with all the headaches, kids are great. I only have three but would be cool to have more. Doubt that is going to happen at this point in life. If you can do it than that's awesome.

It was a girl.. 6lbs 8 ounces..her she is with one of her big sisters.63BB18A2-B935-40AC-A9AA-EC565E41D6A8 (resized).jpeg63BB18A2-B935-40AC-A9AA-EC565E41D6A8 (resized).jpeg

#34 6 years ago

Congrats!!

#35 6 years ago

What a great story man, somebody give this man an Embryon he earned it lol Congratulations Dude!!!

#36 6 years ago

Congratulations to the both of you!! Your dad cred just went up in the eyes of your family. What a great story!

#37 6 years ago

Congrats man - your experience gives me new appreciation for my wife having had scheduled C-sections with our kids, but I can't imagine how thrilling (and scary?) that must have been for you. Glad to hear that mom and baby are doing fine!

#38 6 years ago

You should get a job at my hospital, my wife tried for 18 hours and couldn't push it out!

Congrats!!

#39 6 years ago

Congratulations and well done! I had to pull off near golden hills one time to rest (maybe the same spot!) That stretch of hwy58 near T-town is a narrow, winding hill. What an incredible experience. Thanks for sharing.

#40 6 years ago

Congrats!! Thats quite a hill to get down with a baby coming too, good job and what neat story!

#41 6 years ago

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

#42 6 years ago

You sir, are the Man of Steel! Congratulations!

#43 6 years ago

Congrats. I was damn close to that with our last kid, 5th one. My wife can be stubborn and was having contractions and water broke at home. I got her to the hospital and within 10 mins or so our second daughter was born. Fastest child birth for us.

#44 6 years ago

Im really glad everything worked out.

My mother who is a retired nurse delivered a baby one night. It was a mentally ill girl who was hiding her pregnancy from the staff.

She suddenly started childbirth one night.

My mom still gets excited when she talks about that night. It was over twenty years ago.

#45 6 years ago

So awesome! That has me grinning from ear to ear!
    Congratulations!

#46 6 years ago

Holy crap!! Awesome story! Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing!!!

#47 6 years ago

WOW, such an amazing story! So happy for you and the family that all is now well, what a story you, your wife and the special little one will have!
    Congrats!!!

Your new nickname shall be DOC!

#48 6 years ago

Congratulations, what an amazing story! Glad everyone is happy and healthy what more could you ask for. Props to raising 17 kids, I have 2 which feels like a complete handful!

#49 6 years ago

It was a girl.. 6lbs 8 ounces..her she is with one of her big sisters.

GREAT PICTURE I have 4 kids and thought I had a big family. I love that you put your kids first and seeing this picture reminds me of many of our when the siblings held their baby brother and just the love and awe in their eyes. Thanks for sharing and God Bless your Family!!!!

#50 6 years ago

Amazing story...and congrats!

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-yeah-i-delivered-a-baby/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.