Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by denoument
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5E7FD14C-5CD0-4F62-BADC-81AD9A5329F1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I recently had a neighbor move from Chicago because they were taxing 65% of his paycheck!

Sorry jason, but this isn’t even possible. Maybe in Canada, but not here.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Perhaps he included his property taxes. That would make a huge difference here in NJ. Plenty of people are paying way over 10% of the income to that here. Not sure how bad Chicago are is.

How much of your paycheck goes to property tax in NJ? 0%.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Property and vehicle taxes in CT cost me over 5k per year.

But they aren’t payroll taxes. OP said 65% of his check goes to taxes. Property tax is not a payroll tax. Nothing is withheld from your check for that.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Splitting hairs at this point in my opinion.
    "check goes to taxes"
    Does it matter if it is lifted out right before the check is handed to you or immediately afterwords when you make your first purchase?
    If they don't grab it at payroll its just thefted after. And some areas have a higher rate of confiscation than others.

Even if you include the other stuff, not 65%. Who says the person even owns property that is taxed?

I have trouble seeing how anyone in any state in the US sends 65% of their gross wages off to some taxing authority unless they are being charged interest and penalties out the wazoo. Haha

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I don't see a lot of difference between 50% and 65% frankly.

Hahahaha. Well I do.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Just a matter of time with the current fed in-powers.

Never happened in the history of the US, but I guess there’s a first time for everything!

#42 2 years ago

Dang! Well let’s hope that doesn’t happen again! I’d have to sell all my pins.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Thank you letting me know that my property taxes in NJ are zero.
    I’ll make sure to show my town your post.
    Where do you think the money comes from to pay the property tax?

Not from payroll tax that’s for sure!

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Chicago has no income tax and many pay less than $6K for property tax in the city, I speak from experience. If you are talking about sales tax for Chicago it is 10.25% which is a total of state, county and city sales tax rates. All residents of Illinois, including Chicago residents, are subject to State and Federal income taxes, the Illinois income tax is a flat tax.
    I don't know the specifics of anyone's situation, income, residence, etc. but I have lived in Michigan and can say the total cost of living was not night and day.

Cook county appears to charge income tax though. 5% per google machine.

#87 2 years ago

Wow. That’s awesome. I’m even more for universal healthcare now. Haha

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

how much is everyone paying, percentage-wise for property tax???

Basically in the US, some places charge way more for property, others way more for income.

If you’re in an area that isn’t popular and they want to entice more people, taxes are a bit less overall. But in general, not crazy crazy differences State to state.

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jack8765:

What is OP talking about? Stern LE pricing is up $200 in the past 5 years, while premium and pro basically unchanged. JJP raised GNR LE by $1,000 probably because they could. Taxes in Illinois have always sucked, so it’s not like that changed recently.

MSRP and street are two very different things.

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Spitballing here, but maybe he's including 401(k), SIMPLE IRA contributions, medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, etc. (which are obviously not taxes) to get to 65%.

My guess is the person is an exaggerator.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-why-is-pinball-out-of-chicago?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.