Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by denoument
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5E7FD14C-5CD0-4F62-BADC-81AD9A5329F1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KozMckPinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 2 years ago

I would assume that the software developers could be located elsewhere, factory workers could not be, just like other industries. The fact that everyone is located in Chicago is kind of cool, if you ask me. This industry makes rock stars out of designers and developers and artists, that is the coolest part I think, as a career long engineer myself, seeing that a computer scientist or mechanical/electrical engineer or artist can be thought of that way. I think it would be cool for a podcaster to interview some of the factory talent as well.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Property and vehicle taxes in CT cost me over 5k per year.

Try property taxes of $12k here in Massachusetts. Not complaining but for a few years there we were paying $1000 a month in property taxes and $750 a WEEK in daycare on top of all the other taxes. Think about that. Kids (2) were too young at that time to be in public school, so our property taxes were not returning anything really to us AND paying daycare on top of that. $9000 for a pin seems like an easy stretch in comparison to me.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Even so, if someone is paying the highest tax rates, property taxes are going to be a relatively small percentage of their income compared to everything else.
    My property taxes in Illinois were $12k, but that's not the reason I'm building a house in Indiana (still commuting to Chicago). My daughter is starting at Purdue this fall, and the difference between in-state and out of state tuition is huge.

How long do you have to be living in Indiana to qualify for in state tuition? Seems like you are cutting it close for the first school year.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Even if you include the other stuff, not 65%. Who says the person even owns property that is taxed?
    I have trouble seeing how anyone in any state in the US sends 65% of their gross wages off to some taxing authority unless they are being charged interest and penalties out the wazoo. Haha

Just a matter of time with the current fed in-powers.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Most of those things, even property taxes, are a drop in the bucket for someone claiming to be in the top tax rate. Like I said, I'd be interested to see the details around someone paying 65% in taxes in Illinois, but we won't because this is a 2nd hand account of someone saying they "get 65% taken out of their paycheck." Personally, I think if I included property tax, sales tax, tolls, etc. I *might* get to a 40% effective rate, and we pay a lot of taxes.

^^I agree with this 40%.

#78 2 years ago

Published property tax rates mean nothing when they can be overridden. One of the reasons it's called Taxachusetts. Anyway, pinball is cheap in comparison, that was my on-topic point.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

What’s cool about ‘Merica (and other countries, I assume) is that we can live anywhere we want to.

Unless you work for a pinball company, then you have to live in or around Chicago. Thanks for getting us back on subject.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

But seeing people saying their property tax is over $10k annually blows my mind, and makes me think you all live in million dollar homes.

It takes a 2 income family to live decently in E Massachusetts.

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Sorry, my point was that it was hard to see how someone could get to 65% total even if including property taxes. If a couple makes 600k (which doesn't even put them in the top rate) and pays 12k in property taxes, that's only 2%. If that same couple is paying 50k in property taxes or something, I'd say they might be living outside their means.

Property taxes in our E Massachusetts town here (and typical levels of tax in surrounding towns) were almost 1.9% last year. If you live in a house for 53 years you've essentially paid for your home twice. My only point here is, spending $9k on your hobby every 5 years pales in comparison to the yearly tax outlay for a lot of people.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KozMckPinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-why-is-pinball-out-of-chicago?tu=KozMckPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.