(Topic ID: 341100)

So why is it bad to use a circuit breaker to turn your games on & off?

By Doug_Quaid

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ApNewsroom_Titanic-Tourist_Sub_55479 (resized).jpg
    tf (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230809_124438_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Capture (resized).JPG
    IMG_6646 (resized).jpeg
    tumblr_ofm99qbwPQ1ql2w65o7_500.gif
    adfasdf (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    200-Amp-Disconnect-Switch (resized).jpg
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 months ago
    Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

My only automation is having them all shut off at 11pm so I can walk away at any time and know that they won't be on all night.

I do this too but at 1am just in case I stay up late and have a good game and don’t get shut off on. That way I’m not laying in bed thinking…crap did I turn that game off? Especially important for older games that I haven’t bulletproofed where 5v could drop and say a coil pulls in.

#52 11 months ago
    Quoted from spooonman:

the kasa switches have a button on the side - they can be manually turned on w/o the app.

But those are under the machine right?

The pinball machine already has a handy switch within reach.

#53 11 months ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

Well...if that's true, how does the switch know what to do? The app, of course. The app knows your personal information as well as the details of your usage. When you downloaded that app, you gave away your rights to all of that. Many apps are 'cross-permissioned'. That means your wifi app knows what you do on your other apps, and even if it doesn't, Google/Apple does.
    China? Korea? What's the difference? And how do you know the Korean company isn't using Chinese software? You don't, and never will.
    When you download an app, the app is not the product - you are the product.
    Imagine the advancement - instead of the old way of turning on a game by downloading an app onto a $1000 phone and involving hundreds of people you don't even know....you use your finger to flip a $2 switch in well under 500 milliseconds and in total privacy. Pure improvement.

not disagreeing with you; it's why i don't have alexa devices. everyone decides for themselves what they're comfortable with re: privacy, data sharing, etc., and whether the trade-off's worth it. the wifi switches *used by themselves*, which is how i use them, don't seem to gain anyone any useful insight into my personal business.

i was merely offering the OP an alternative to turning his pins off/on with a breaker, bc breakers aren't designed to be used like light switches even though some people do it. hell, he *could* install a "dumb" lightswitch and use that to turn on multiple outlets, but that'd be a little extra wiring work, which is what makes the wifi plugs appealing. many ways to skin a cat.

#54 11 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

But those are under the machine right?
    The pinball machine already has a handy switch within reach.

you got me there - under and in many cases behind, lol. they're more useful for arcade cabs, where sometimes switches are hard to reach.

#55 11 months ago

One vote for "actually I enjoy walking around my basement and turning on the games one-by-one when I have a party." Granted I only have like 17 in the basement.

#56 11 months ago

The thread thus far:

This:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

or this:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#58 11 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

One vote for "actually I enjoy walking around my basement and turning on the games one-by-one when I have a party." Granted I only have like 17 in the basement.

Obviously we all did before Stern moved the power switch and now no one can reach it anymore. Remote is the only way to turn them on anymore.

#59 11 months ago

It's a fun mental exercise to keep me sharp at this declining age. Where's the switch?!? I remember the first time I tried to turn on a WPC by reaching under the head. Spike won.

#60 11 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

It's a fun mental exercise to keep me sharp at this declining age. Where's the switch?!? I remember the first time I tried to turn on a WPC by reaching under the head. Spike won.

Had to turn on a pinball 2k the other day...worst placement ever

#61 11 months ago
    Quoted from SDVmnt:

[quoted image]

Screenshot_20230809_124438_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230809_124438_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg

tf (resized).jpgtf (resized).jpg

#62 11 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:Had to turn on a pinball 2k the other day...worst placement ever

Could they have put the switch any farther back under the cab?

#63 11 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Could they have put the switch any farther back under the cab?

And more towards the middle!
    Makes me feel th3 pain of rhe T-rex arm pinsiders.

#64 11 months ago

My 2 cents - when it came time to build out the 2 car garage to game room project, I ended up going with smart plugs. I don’t like the data mining and privacy concerns, so I put them on a locked down “guest” network and only have them in the game room. Lenovo had a 2 pack of 15 amp plugs for Black Friday a couple years ago for like $8 bucks. Got a ton of them and it’s made controlling all the pins, vids, coin pusher, skee-ball, neon signs, and lights simple.

Alexa, shall we play a game is pretty easy to turn on everything.

Alexa, game over or Alexa, end of line is just as easy.

I don’t have smart devices anywhere else; but, it made sense in this application do to the very hard to reach power switches in tight spaces.

#65 11 months ago
    Quoted from jedimastermatt: I don’t like the data mining and privacy concerns, so I put them on a locked down “guest” network and only have them in the game room.

This seems like a good move. I put all my internet stuff on the firewalled guest network which includes stern spike pinballs. As much as I trust Stern, Google, and etc. I'd rather them not be to see my computer homegroup and etc. Just the computers and firesticks (because I watch stuff saved on a PC via DLNA) are on the main network.

#66 11 months ago

I have an old knock off of "the clapper" power outlet in a box somewhere that came with an RF remote.

Are there any RF options available these days, rather than wifi smart plugs?

[Edit] Well, looks like I answered my own question:

https://www.amazon.com/s

#67 11 months ago
    Quoted from Doug_Quaid:

This fellow appears to be in the "30 games on the 1957 extension cord" camp.
    Melted breakers is a new twist on that theme.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can't imagine how toasty the in-wall wiring would be at that point...

We’re also in a commercial space, so I’ve got to imagine the wiring can handle it.

One of my breakers just died yesterday! 2009 to 2023, turned on and off twice a day, 363 days per year, for 14 years.

Now I just bought a new circuit breaker for $7 and will probably get another decade plus out of it.

Walmart also sells a 3 pack of remote controlled outlets for Christmas decorations during the winter. It was under $20 and I get all the convenience of wireless power without any privacy issues of zero-security “internet of things” devices, and NO APP! Just a simple remote, with 3 channels! Neon signs one outlet, machines on another, the gaming collection on the third!

#68 11 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Regarding the switch vs. breaker discussion...why not just add a 15A or 20A switch and be done with it? Do you have access to the wires?

That would be a massive PITA to do.

It would be easier to get those wifi gizmos

#69 11 months ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

There is a little bit of "old lady with hemmoroids crossing icy street" to this thread,

but I work in heavy construction, and what the average guy thinks of as "safe" is hilariously unsafe.

3 guys die in construction in the USA every single day of the year.

last job I was on, one guy fell off the scaffolding and broke his back, and another guy turned his hand into hamburger meat with bone splinters in it.

I NEVER TAKE ADVICE FROM GUYS WHO CALL OTHER GUYS A WUSSY.

The thing we are talking about exists in reality and has known physical properties. That means that there is one correct answer, and that answer is based on physics.

What I do is make decisions based on data and logic.

The thing that confuses everyone is the FACTOR OF SAFETY. Factors of safety are set up to limit failures to a certain probability. For example, in structural steel design, the factor of safety for loading the members is set so that there will be a statistical failure of 1 building out of 6 million.

In other words, A36 steel has a yield strength of 36,000 PSI. We load it to about 20,000 PSI. The leftover is there to account for accidental overload or construction defects. Statistically, the steel will eventually be loaded over 36,000 psi in 1 out of 6 million buildings. At that point, hopefully the deflection of the member will dump the overload into the adjacent members and no collapse will happen.

The fact that a factor of safety exists fools people into thinking that the factor of safety is too conservative. Like a contractor will erect bracing for an excavation were the steel might be loaded to 35,000 psi. And then he walks around smirking at how much of a wussy that engineers are. Until one fine morning his soil gets saturated with rainwater and the mess comes down on his head.

I know of a guy who smirked really really hard at the idea of a factor of safety. He said in plain english that he thought they were WAY too conservative.
    ApNewsroom_Titanic-Tourist_Sub_55479 (resized).jpgApNewsroom_Titanic-Tourist_Sub_55479 (resized).jpg

#70 11 months ago
    Quoted from Doug_Quaid:

The last job I was on, one guy fell off the scaffolding and broke his back, and another guy turned his hand into hamburger meat with bone splinters in it.

Which just tells me I don't want to work with you on any job.

#71 11 months ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Which just tells me I don't want to work with you on any job.

What makes you say that?

I swear that I was not on the grassy knoll in Dallas.

#72 11 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have an old knock off of "the clapper" power outlet in a box somewhere that came with an RF remote.

If you get grand champion or double match you don’t have to worry about turning the games off yourself.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.