(Topic ID: 17707)

So who reproduces pin cabinets these days?

By ThunderhorseCNC

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0321.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I've done a little searching, not sure who is actively making replacement pin cabs. I had heard one or two places got shut down. Not sure on the legalities of reproducing pin cabinets, i know you can make any arcade cabinet and no one cares! Looking at exploring my options before i get started. I have a williams big guns on the way (empty) and he's bringing a regular back box for me too.

#4 11 years ago

I was going to make a statement about how I wonder why anyone would spend that on the cabinet, then I realized I paid 700+shipping for a bum playfield from CPR. Guess that answers that.

#5 11 years ago

i've heard good and bad about cpr, but i've never saw thier product in person to make my own opinion.

#6 11 years ago

I gave a local home cabinet maker my original beat up main TZ cab to copy and he made one from all oak for $400.

IMAG0321.jpgIMAG0321.jpg

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from ThunderhorseCNC:

I've done a little searching, not sure who is actively making replacement pin cabs. I had heard one or two places got shut down. Not sure on the legalities of reproducing pin cabinets, i know you can make any arcade cabinet and no one cares!

I am not a legal expert, so don't take any of this as legal advice! But I am fairly certain that copyright applies only to creative works. And I don't think an unadorned pinball cabinet would be considered a creative work. This article discusses wood furniture, and concludes that it is not subject to copyright, "unless that furniture design incorporates some kind of sculpture work or graphic print embellishment that is in itself a design separate from the piece of furniture". An unfinished pinball cabinet is just a wooden box of certain specified dimensions, so it would most likely be considered the same as a piece of furniture in this regard. The only copyright issues would apply if decals or stencils were applied. Even here, if the decals or stencils were properly licensed by whoever produced them, the doctrine of first sale should protect the cabinet maker.

#8 11 years ago

that was my thoughts on it as well JDG, if i apply licensed art, or licensed stencils, i should be fine. I definately have to check though. I've had several people tell me the bare wood is fine. Wasn't someone in TX making cabinets, done with art? I remember seeing a funhouse pin cab, and it was incredible looking.

#9 11 years ago

From OAK?

Oh my god, how heavy is that pin cab!?

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

From OAK?

I didnt weigh it but it isn't any harder to move compared to others.The only problem is this damn local squirrel is trying to get at it.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

From OAK?

Yeah, that'd definitely have some weight to it, but still probably not any heavier than some of the foreign cabinets made of MDF or particle board. Now those dang things are heavy, especially the widebodies!

#12 11 years ago

Just curious, why Oak? What is the factory plywood?

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from JDG1980:

I had heard one or two places got shut down. Not sure on the legalities of reproducing pin cabinets

The patents on a pinball cab have long ago expired.

The copyrights are in effect for the graphics, so make sure you buy licensed artwork (decals, stencils) , if you worry about that kind of thing.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

not any heavier than some of the foreign cabinets made of MDF or particle board.

I have a Devil Riders by Zacarria made in Italy, it is the smallest cabinet in my collection and still the heaviest. Went me another guy went to load it I was quite surprised of it weight/size ratio..

#15 11 years ago

don't use Oak, cabinet grade plywood. I'll be doing some more MB, MM, AFM cabinets this month. I'm going to do IJ after that. The bitch is all the cabinets are different.

#16 11 years ago

Here are some shots!

// Error: Image 29962 not found // // Error: Image 29963 not found // // Error: Image 29964 not found // // Error: Image 29965 not found // // Error: Image 29966 not found //

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Exejet:

Here are some shots!

I see you used lock miter joints on the corners. Was this the same way they were done at the factory?
    Also, am I correct in assuming the bottom plate of the cabinet is MDF instead of plywood?

#18 11 years ago

I could be wrong, but are you sure that's not 'cabinet grade' birch? I believe that's what the factory used. The tight grain and smooth surface makes either birch or maple veneer great for applying decals. Oak would have a rougher grain than appear in your pictures.

Regardless, that's a beautiful cabinet.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#19 11 years ago

i've been using an import birch ply, and the quality just keeps going downhill. I plan on using baltic birch on pin cabs. Exejet, you have a cnc setup?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-who-reproduces-pin-cabinets-these-days and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.