3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 148 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture_(resized).PNG
Captur1e_(resized).PNG
Capture_(resized).PNG

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

the sellers have been honorable folk who give the first respondent first crack, wait for the tentative buyer to arrive, and stick to their stated price despite other offers from "dirt sacks" and "total dicks."

Once again we're back to calling people who make offers for the FULL VALUE of the game "dicks" and the people selling them BELOW MARKET VALUE are "honourable."

You guys talk a lot about "honor" and being "true to their word", but wouldn't the honourable thing be to pay a FAIR PRICE for a game instead of preying on the ignorance of a seller and calling it a "great deal"? You people frame it so you come out looking like you're doing nothing wrong, when you're actually leveraging your knowledge of the market to your OWN advantage, but somehow when someone else does the same thing (leverage their knowledge of the market by offering a higher but fair price) but instead YOU miss out, somehow THEY'RE the asshole.

Interesting how that flips over when someone else benefits.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:So you're willing to pay more than the asking price?

In some cases. Like te high speed story from above. After I walked the fellow through on how to fix it I figured the game was worth more so I offered more. I was the first caller btw. On the riverboat gambler I gave the guy some extra cash. He was a nice guy with three kids who took the machine as payment on landscaping. He needed $200 so I paid him $200. I then gave him some more for being honest and selling to me since I called first. He didn't know I was going to give him more nor did he expect it. Kind of a pay it forward thing I guess. I'm on the hunt for deals so I hope the generosity will keep coming back to me.

Quoted from jwilson:

Okay then, how long does the first caller have "dibs"? There seem to be complex rules involved with this whole "dibs" thing. I suspect, however, that whoever shows up first with cash wins.

Again not always the case. I always ask if they can hold til I get there. They don't have to and I have had others tell me first here with the cash gets it. I just can't go off driving a couple of hours to find out I missed out. I am at least 2 hours from the closest major city so I don't have a lot of options. Lol

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Once again we're back to calling people who make offers for the FULL VALUE of the game "dicks" and the people selling them BELOW MARKET VALUE are "honourable."
You guys talk a lot about "honor" and being "true to their word", but wouldn't the honourable thing be to pay a FAIR PRICE for a game instead of preying on the ignorance of a seller and calling it a "great deal"? You people frame it so you come out looking like you're doing nothing wrong, when you're actually leveraging your knowledge of the market to your OWN advantage, but somehow when someone else does the same thing (leverage their knowledge of the market by offering a higher but fair price) but instead YOU miss out, somehow THEY'RE the asshole.

Hey, I had defended the follow-up email more than once. I used quotes around total dick and dirt sack. I added an eye roll smiley. I'm not the one you should be arguing with!

#104 3 years ago

Let me state for the record that I would cut the throat of any of you for $1000 Monsters Bash; and I do not mean screw you over I mean with rusty razor. That is as long as the spurting arterial blood did not actually get on the machine.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

So, you go into a car dealership and pay sticker price? I mean, that is what the manufacturer says its true value is, right?

I call bullshit. It's the seller's responsibility to determine AND set the price for what they are selling. If I buy a $3000 machine for $1500, I am the bad guy? No f'ing way.

The honor and word come in to play when a seller makes a verbal agreement to sell, and then does not follow through. Same with the buyer. If you set a time and cannot honor that time to make the purchase, then too bad for you. No, I am not talking about someone who is running a few minutes behind either. I am talking about the guy who calls 5 minutes before the agreed time and says "Oh, I can't make it, or I am not going to be there for a couple more hours." Sorry, next buyer.

To answer the question of how long for "dibs" , its whatever the seller and buyer agree to.

It's very simple, and put in simplest terms. A verbal agreement is a verbal agreement, a deal is a deal. If either party cannot keep their word, DON'T enter into an agreement! As a seller , if you are upfront and tell a buyer that "Hey, I am holding this for no one, it's going to the first one with the cash, then NO ONE can bitch that they got screwed.

It's the asshole sellers that agree to a deal and then sell it to someone else....those are the dicks, that is THE total dick move.

#106 3 years ago

If you were standing in a physical line 10 people deep and the seller was negotiating with a buyer at the front of the line for $1000, would you shout "I'LL GIVE YOU $2,000 to $2700!" at the top of your lungs?

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

If you were standing in a physical line 10 people deep and the seller was negotiating with a buyer at the front of the line for $1000, would you shout "I'LL GIVE YOU $2,000 to $2700!" at the top of your lungs?

Yes, I would. Because that's how things work in the real world of grown-up capitalism of limited supply and high demand.

#108 3 years ago

I don't know if you've ever been to an arcade auction but that is basically what you explained. Craigslist is not the same. Arcade auctions are fun but prices get out of hand fast

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

No, I would not interfere. However, if the prospective buyer was trying to knock down the price to something less than the seller's $1000.00 ask price I would not be shy in stepping in and offering the asking price.; either the prospective buyer can step it up or step aside.

#110 3 years ago

There aren't any rules on cl about how you can sell your item - if you want to give it to the first to respond or hold out for offers that's up to you. I think it's generally considered good taste to list a selling price you are comfortable with and take people in order of response at full price offers though. However, either way you choose once you have a verbal agreement and someone is coming to look at it / pick it up your a total asshole as a seller to back out of the sale to sell to someone else for higher. If buyer is a no show, different story. But what can you expect.. People are human and its cl after all..

#111 3 years ago

As I said before...people are confusing Buyer with Seller.

The buyer, or buyers, are under no ethical obligation to honor another potential buyer by not trying to outbid them. So the Seller's price was offered? So what? You offer more. Hell, realtors do this all the time...sharing information about other offers to buy and there is no ethical or legal objection at all.

It's up to the Seller to decide when the negotiation is over.

A Seller renegging on a deal is not the same as a potential buyer trying to interrupt a deal with a higher offer if no deal has been finalized.

Geez...

#112 3 years ago

These threads will never die. People love bitching about missing out on deals, telling everybody how honest they are, and whining about all the dishonest bastards on Craigslist, that will never change.

The only thing you can do is set your own rules, CL by your own code. But expecting anybody else's CL ethics to fall squarely in with yours is pretty silly, so you might as well assume and expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed.

Or do the smart thing and just buy old EMs off craigslist. I can almost guarantee you will never get in a bidding war or have the game stolen from you.

#113 3 years ago

It's a never ending argument. Some people have ethics they follow. Their word means something to them and the people they give them to. Others have zero ethics and could care less. Yes, Craigslist is a unique animal, it's an on line flea market with the lowest of the low at some points. The problem is it has all become so acceptable, but it goes far beyond Pinside & C.L. In the real world of business, if you cannot keep your word you either lose the trust of your employer/fellows employees, customers or get shown the door. Didn't everyone have a parent at one time or another make you do something you didn't want to because you gave someone your word? No? Well heck, there might be the beginning of the problem.

My real world business had a Grand Opening Open House this past Saturday. One of my vendors made a very specific promise to be provided for the event. He pulled a no show, promise was broken. As I tell all of my vendors, don't tell me you are going to do something if you cannot back it up. Now I am going to keep my word. That vendor by the end of the week will be replaced and he can pick up all his inventory, as I no longer sell his products.

Tastes great or less filling?

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

So, you go into a car dealership and pay sticker price?

Oh boy, cargument!

A car dealer is the absolute definition of the informed seller, so bargaining with them is playing on a level playing field. The car analogy you want is the one where the widow sells an old Corvette for $200.

On a side note of this topic, I'm looking forward to the day when more sellers are internet savvy and would take an Internet-based deposit like Paypal or whatever - then this whole argument is moot since cash has traded hands.

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

On a side note of this topic, I'm looking forward to the day when more sellers are internet savvy and would take an Internet-based deposit like Paypal or whatever - then this whole argument is moot since cash has traded hands.

So you're saying that you think that once you paypal a deposit to someone that the deal is done? You don't envision a time where the seller could take your deposit (or even the full price) and have someone else contact them and offer more and have them refund your paypal payment?

I've actually had this happen. I sent a deposit via paypal to a seller at his request, you know, to show I was "serious". When I showed up at his house to pick up the game and pay the rest in cash, it was gone. According to him, someone had offered more ($100) and came right away and paid cash. "You did see that I refunded your deposit, right" On top of it, the deal wasn't a screaming deal either, it was a fairly priced game and apparently, someone wanted it more and was willing to pay more. So, even though we had a "deal" with money exchanging hands, it didn't stop the seller from backing out of the deal.

The bottom line is that a deal takes two people to complete and those two people aren't always playing by the same rules/guidelines/ethics (whatever word you want to use here) and that's never going to change.

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I wonder if there are any other hobbies out there where someone buys something off Craigslist and it generates 97 posts on a niche Internet forum.

Mmm-hmm. And wherever that is, I'm sure there are people that absolutely know every-effing-thing there as well.

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It works like that here in New Zealand. We have a banking system that doesn't suck so for the past 20 years we've had a buying/selling marketplace that deals primarily in bank deposits. Overnight clearance and no fees. No PayPal shenanigans either.

Most buying/selling is done on a site called Trade Me, which is like eBay but much better. All items are sold via auction so most of the time buyers are paying market rate. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how niche the item is or how flooded the market is. The only way to snag deals is to keep a close eye out for new listings with low 'Buy Now' prices and then jump on them. He who sees it first and is first to hit that button is the 'winner winner chicken dinner'.

The only downside to this system is that no personal details can change hands so prospective pinball buyers can't see the game before they buy it. Trade Me's policy is that once an item sells the buyer has the opportunity to pull out of the deal if they view the item (or view more detailed photos remotely) and it isn't to their satisfaction.

Not 100% ideal but a way better system than the toxic ratrace that is Craigslist. Seems like CL does a good job of harming relationships between people in the hobby, as witnessed by every thread like this.

In NZ we typically joke around at regular guys who ask for lowball buy-now prices to be added to an auction. But hey, can't mock too much because occasionally it pays off. That's about as toxic as it gets on the used market over here.

#118 3 years ago

I have heard it said that it isn't a deal until the game is in your vehicle. Well here is a story of one of my weirdest Craigslist experiences. I shared this once before so I will just post what I had previously written.

"You know how people often say it's not a deal until you've paid and it's in your truck. Well I have an interesting story that sometimes that's not even enough. Not a pinball story, my wife and I collect lots of different things. There was a craigslist ad for some Art Nouveau mirrors about an hour away. Not something a typical pinhead would appreciate but my wife loved them and they were artsy and interesting.

So I call the guy, set up a time and we drive an hour down to check them out. They are in the basement of some business space this guy is renting for a resale shop. We go downstairs my wife thinks they are great, negotiate a price and make two trips carrying them upstairs. They are large and pretty heavy, it's hot and we have to try to maneuver around a bunch of crap to get them upstairs. I pay the man and we carry them out and load them in my vehicle. In the meantime the lady next door working in a Salon sees us loading them up. She owns the building, and the mirrors apparently and isn't having it. She comes over and starts having a discussion with the guy. After a bit the guy comes to tell us she told him when he rented he could sell them on her behalf but now she wanted to use them in her salon. They are already in our car but it's awkward so we hang out a bit trying to figure out what the hell is going on. After a little while he comes out and tells us she won't sell them now. My wife tries to talk her into letting us buy at least one but she is determined to keep them. So wanting to avoid any more continued weirdness or trouble we unload them and get the cash back. Probably not the worst broken deal ever but it had to be one of my weirdest.

So it's not necessarily a deal until you are driving away…."

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

I've actually had this happen. I sent a deposit via paypal to a seller at his request, you know, to show I was "serious". When I showed up at his house to pick up the game and pay the rest in cash, it was gone. According to him, someone had offered more ($100) and came right away and paid cash. "You did see that I refunded your deposit, right" On top of it, the deal wasn't a screaming deal either, it was a fairly priced game and apparently, someone wanted it more and was willing to pay more. So, even though we had a "deal" with money exchanging hands, it didn't stop the seller from backing out of the deal.

I think once cash trades hands (even if a deposit) then in most states that is legal contract. I can say that if a seller ever pulled that with me and I wasted my time going to their place then I would be getting more than my $100 back.

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think once cash trades hands (even if a deposit) then in most states that is legal contract. I can say that if a seller ever pulled that with me and I wasted my time going to their place then I would be getting more than my $100 back.

I found this interesting page regarding something called the Statute of Frauds:

http://nationalparalegal.edu/public_documents/courseware_asp_files/contracts/DefensesToFormation/StatuteOfFrauds.asp

If I'm reading this right, to be enforceable, a contract for goods worth over $500 must be in writing.

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

...then in most states that is legal contract.

Legal contract? Yeah, take em to court. Sheesh. Most litigious country in the world... and let's work to keep it that way!! Gimme a break.

Standing in the driveway trying to close a deal, sure, bring your lawyer with you. Or maybe there's another approach... or reality.

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I found this interesting page regarding something called the Statute of Frauds:
http://nationalparalegal.edu/public_documents/courseware_asp_files/contracts/DefensesToFormation/StatuteOfFrauds.asp
If I'm reading this right, to be enforceable, a contract for goods worth over $500 must be in writing.

interesting.

Quoted from scottslash:

Legal contract? Yeah, take em to court. Sheesh. Most litigious country in the world... and let's work to keep it that way!! Gimme a break.
Standing in the driveway trying to close a deal, sure, bring your lawyer with you. Or maybe there's another approach... or reality.

the point being that while some people may be shady enough to try something cra cra like taking a deposit and then refunding, most wont willfully break the law. Of course reality is that if they pull something like that then you are not going to get a lawyer, but the equal reality is they are not going to know why their tire went mysteriously flat a few days later or they keep getting so much more junk mail or... http://poopsenders.com/

#123 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You would think so, but.....

A few years ago went to a garage sale in Rockford to see a Surf n Safari. I walked into the garage and asked if the machine was still for sale. Was told yes it was and it was $300, but it was in the basement. We went around the house to the walk out basement and there it sat. It was a re-import, had some backbox moisture bloating, but overall decent. I offered $250 , they said no, $300 was it. I said OK and paid them. I went to the truck for my tools and dolly, came back down around the back and started breaking down the machine. I had the balls out of it, stretch wrapped the head in the down position, and the back legs off. Someone comes back in through basement door and says I can't take the machine. I look at the guy who I paid and he just shrugs his shoulders. If I were outside with it already I would have told them too damn bad and get the hell out of my way. But we were still in the basement and this was getting uncomfortable as all hell, so I just demanded my money back and left the machine as is. It was back on craigslist 2 days later for $800 or so.

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

they are not going to know why their tire went mysteriously flat a few days later or they keep getting so much more junk mail or... http://poopsenders.com/

Ah, take revenge. Another fine choice.

#125 3 years ago

Hi All
I'm the guy that sold the WCS game, I paid 1100 for it about 10 years ago. I am an electrician and do not make 400 an hour. my kids are gone and I offerd them the game but they didn't want it. About a year ago I was asking around to sell it and the most anyone offerd was 900. We were cleaning out the basement so I decided to post the machine on CL and it does work fine with some minor scratches on the case. I would have wanted more for it but It's my fault for not finding out the true value first. Ben was the first to call and asked a few ?'s and said he would take it and was on his way with the cash so I said sold then. I don't feel ripped off and I always keep my word on a deal, my integrity is worth more than money. the guy that Emailed after the fact for 2700 seemed like the intention was to make me feel like I got screwed. I'm happy with the deal. hope ben plays the game and enjoys it

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from JSW1:

Hi All
I'm the guy that sold the WCS game, I paid 1100 for it about 10 years ago. I am an electrician and do not make 400 an hour. my kids are gone and I offerd them the game but they didn't want it. About a year ago I was asking around to sell it and the most anyone offerd was 900. We were cleaning out the basement so I decided to post the machine on CL and it does work fine with some minor scratches on the case. I would have wanted more for it but It's my fault for not finding out the true value first. Ben was the first to call and asked a few ?'s and said he would take it and was on his way with the cash so I said sold then. I don't feel ripped off and I always keep my word on a deal, my integrity is worth more than money. the guy that Emailed after the fact for 2700 seemed like the intention was to make me feel like I got screwed. I'm happy with the deal. hope ben plays the game and enjoys it

Awesome, this is just the jumpstart this thread needed! (regardless of how fake this may or may not be)

#127 3 years ago

Nice try, Ben.

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

So you're saying that you think that once you paypal a deposit to someone that the deal is done?

Well, they have your cash so they know you're at least serious enough to put money on it. I'd take a paypal deposit over your word on the phone any day.

Here in Canada we have Interac, which is instant payment from your bank account to another, no fees, and it's as good as cash - that would be the ideal way to go. I can do it from my phone.

#129 3 years ago

I found a Fishtales for sale locally and it was listed as working condition with a price of $900 obo on it. I was the first to call and said I was bringing cash and would be there in 15-20 minutes. During my drive over there, no less then 10 folks had emailed the seller telling her I was ripping her off, it was worth 3 times more than what she was asking for it and blindly had 3 offers of $1800, $2000 & $2200 cash for the machine if she wouldn't sell it to "the coming over to screw her guy".

I got there and yes, the machine was fully working, but had massive cabinet fade, many bare patches of wood on the playfield, battery acid damage to the boards, topper fish motor shot and super dirty. I am currently now making it all shiny and solid (new playfield, mini-playfield, cabinet decals, ramp, plastics, etc) and will be into it another $2k when finished. Not including my time and time of others who are helping out. All in all, I am going to have a really nice machine that I would not be able to afford at today's prices, especiallyon older DMD's.

The fact is because others miss out on great deals, which are very hard to find nowadays, they get upset and try screw over the one getting the deal. It's just wrong and really bad karma to those who do. My $.02

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from JSW1:

Hi All

best fake account post ever, LOL!!!

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Well, they have your cash so they know you're at least serious enough to put money on it. I'd take a paypal deposit over your word on the phone any day.

I don't disagree with this statement at all but you seemed to have missed my point, which was that just because money has been sent via paypal or interac, it doesn't mean the deal is done. As AlexF said, until the machine is in the car and the buyer has been paid, the deal isn't done.

#132 3 years ago

Yep...this horse just definitely twitched.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

As AlexF said, until the machine is in the car and the buyer has been paid, the deal isn't done.

Yes, that's basically in line with my general argument as well.

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

best fake account post ever, LOL!!!

Why do you say that post was fake ?

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from JSW1:

Oh man, don't even bother.

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from JSW1:

If that post was a pair breasts they would be 90% silicone

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from JSW1:

Hi All

So, what is the chance that a guy who doesn't know the value of his pinball machine, sells it under market value, just happens to find, join, and post on a pinball forum?

One in a million?

#138 3 years ago

seems to be no Rules to pinball buying anywhere .

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

So, what is the chance that a guy who doesn't know the value of his pinball machine, sells it under market value, just happens to find, join, and post on a pinball forum?
One in a million?

I've been on the pinball hunt with Ben before. Knowing how those transactions go, it wouldn't surprise me if Ben brought this place up. He lives pinball, so hey, anything is possible.

#140 3 years ago

I guess this situation will piss some off but I will tell it anyway.

A local guy 22 miles away, posted two machines for sale a SS Genesis and an EM "300". His ad said $250 each. I messaged him within 20 minutes of his posting. He replied "when can you look at them". I told him 30 minutes. We texted back and forth a few times then I called him and on the phone he told me to head his way. Then he proceeded to tell me that after my texts that he had cancelled a deal from a guy in Chicago... the Chicago guy told him he was interested and that he would immediately head out... when he called him back he told him that a local person (me) was already coming and to not waste his drive. I guess he lied to that dude, I do not know what he told him exactly, but I was not the first caller and his deal was in place already when I started texting the guy. The guy could not have had time to leave beyond hitting the ATM or gassing up his truck, so it was not like he had left yet.

I had cash (i.e. did not have to go to the ATM) my box truck was empty and full of gas. I knew he would get slammed with texts/calls about the machines. I wanted them. So, In my texts to him. I expressed that I was local had cash in hand, a vehicle that would handle both machines. And quite frankly, specifically told him that the Genesis was worth more than the "300" and there was a good chance most buyers would just want the Genesis and leave him with the "300" EM which would be a slower seller. I said that in conjunction with the assurance that I was buying both machines. My goal in this was to specifically convince him that he wanted to sell to me and no one else, I was trying to introduce the though process to him that I was the guy he wanted to sell to (because I would take both, and not leave him with the EM); I did this with full knowledge that it was very unlikely that I was the first person that contacted him. I had no idea that he made a prior arrangement with someone, but was not my concern.

So am I suppose to feel badly that this guy chose to call the other guy back and cancel his prior deal? Because I do not. Yes, that sucks for the other guy.

#141 3 years ago

I called him right after you lol. I only wanted the Genesis but was planning on taking both as well. Being a prick is really more on the seller anyway. They are the ones that are going to make the decision. I always get aggravated at the seller in the situation and not the buyer. If you didn't offer someone else would have. Sell me that Genesis project. No seriously do you want to flip it

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Sell me that Genesis project. No seriously do you want to flip it

I am actually thinking about keeping it, first step replacing that god awful backglass translite with the Metropolis version. No play field wear but it certainly needs a very good cleaning. It had been sitting for probably 10+ years. Only GI lighting, otherwise dead; but no visible battery acid damage. I have not looked at it since I bought it.

The EM machine is much closer to operational, some back glass flaking but a near perfect play field. Considering the work involved in both machines, you did not miss too much to be honest. My plan is to repair the EM and try to sell for $400-500, then have $0-$100 invested in the one I actually wanted.

#143 3 years ago

All of this is only an issue when an uninformed seller prices his machine too cheap. And then the buyers are like sharks who will eat their own kind while circling in for the kill. Immediately, the seller realizes he priced too cheap and either eats it or makes a half-assed attempt to correct the error and the sharks start turning on each other. There is no love here. Making offers does not seem to be allowed is it is considered playing dirty and trying to steal "deal".
( I wonder how many people contacted that seller within 30 minutes of his ad going up? !!). You guys are fast.

The other kind of uninformed seller thinks his 1960s POS pin is worth $5000.00 and the pin shoppers put him up on the Craigslist Laughs thread. 'Cause he is such an idiot.

Another kind of seller knows what is machine is worth and puts it for sale a little bit over market price and might get lucky and find an informed buyer. Or he might start getting offers below his asking price. Of course, in this situation, offers are an acceptable item since it is not a "great deal".

And then you have those other sellers who are looking for buyers with the first name of Fish. "It is a rare rare rare machine." "It has LEDs" "Everything has been gone thru"----without defining just what "everything" means.

So, the only time this is an issue is when an uninformed seller underprices his machine.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from wantdataeast:

I am actually thinking about keeping it, first step replacing that god awful backglass translite with the Metropolis version.

Blasphemy!!!

I have that translite framed. Do some quick searching on system 80B online and there are a ton of tricks to make one work right. Super fun game once you get it going. I am rather close to you and am serious if you ever change your mind

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from wantdataeast:

I guess this situation will piss some off but I will tell it anyway.
A local guy 22 miles away, posted two machines for sale a SS Genesis and an EM "300". His ad said $250 each. I messaged him within 20 minutes of his posting. He replied "when can you look at them". I told him 30 minutes. We texted back and forth a few times then I called him and on the phone he told me to head his way. Then he proceeded to tell me that after my texts that he had cancelled a deal from a guy in Chicago... the Chicago guy told him he was interested and that he would immediately head out... when he called him back he told him that a local person (me) was already coming and to not waste his drive. I guess he lied to that dude, I do not know what he told him exactly, but I was not the first caller and his deal was in place already when I started texting the guy. The guy could not have had time to leave beyond hitting the ATM or gassing up his truck, so it was not like he had left yet.
I had cash (i.e. did not have to go to the ATM) my box truck was empty and full of gas. I knew he would get slammed with texts/calls about the machines. I wanted them. So, In my texts to him. I expressed that I was local had cash in hand, a vehicle that would handle both machines. And quite frankly, specifically told him that the Genesis was worth more than the "300" and there was a good chance most buyers would just want the Genesis and leave him with the "300" EM which would be a slower seller. I said that in conjunction with the assurance that I was buying both machines. My goal in this was to specifically convince him that he wanted to sell to me and no one else, I was trying to introduce the though process to him that I was the guy he wanted to sell to (because I would take both, and not leave him with the EM); I did this with full knowledge that it was very unlikely that I was the first person that contacted him. I had no idea that he made a prior arrangement with someone, but was not my concern.
So am I suppose to feel badly that this guy chose to call the other guy back and cancel his prior deal? Because I do not. Yes, that sucks for the other guy.

I am not that guy from Chicago.....in the past, it might have been!

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I am not that guy from Chicago.....in the past, it might have been!

I have been that guy from Chicago a few times myself.... Usually after making half the trip.

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

seems to be no Rules to pinball buying anywhere .

The only rule I know of is bring cash. The prefered method of payment that sellers will rarely turn down.

1 week later
#148 3 years ago

I AM NOT JSW1!!! When I picked up the game I told him how our deal has started a massive thread and sent him the link. That is the REAL SELLER. Suck on that, pinside! ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside