(Topic ID: 259470)

So which brand tv is best?

By EricHadley

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16D5F86C-158D-4276-B264-9515942449A2 (resized).jpeg
    P1030882 (resized).JPG
    P1030867 (resized).JPG
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

My 82” Samsung which is just a little over a year old all of a sudden has 1 Row and 1 Column of pixels out. Well crap. So who makes good TV’s these days?

#2 4 years ago

You can never go wrong with Sony, as Joe Walsh sang ‘they make great TVs’.

#3 4 years ago

Panasonic plasma. Yep seriously.

Barring that, get an OLED screen. I believe only LG makes them. Not -Q-LED. That is marketing BS.

#4 4 years ago

Should have warranty dont ya? I've always had good luck with samsung, have an 82 from costco now

#5 4 years ago

I would also research Samsung‘s recent offerings. They have significantly changed their business model and .. well it doesn’t look Like the customer won out

#6 4 years ago

LG OLED is the way to go. Screw plastic screens, get the all glass one. Nothing even comes close.

#7 4 years ago

My wife just got me a LG Oled tv for my birthday. It’s amazing.
    You can adjust a lot of the settings to give you the picture that’s comfortable with you personally.
    I have no idea what they cost.
    The smart tv part is cool too so you can tap into Netflix, Vudu etc. very easily.

#8 4 years ago

Oled best picture. Sony makes a nice tv.. 900f or 950g

I ended up going with a Vizio m8 for a room where it won’t get much use. pretty Incredible how much tv u can get for the money.

Tcl 6 series gets good reviews but quality was just really spotty in the reviews so I would stay away.

#9 4 years ago

Tcl. May not last as long as a more $$ tv but you can buy 3 for the price of one of the big brands and have up to date technology. It’s killing all except the super high end TVs for a fraction of the price.

#10 4 years ago

I think most people will recommend Samsung. If you go to a store and look at side by side picture quality with other brands you will see the Samsung difference. That’s how I ended up with a Samsung.

#11 4 years ago

I’ve had really, really good luck w/ lg tv’s. I’m still rollin my 60” plasma from 10 years ago. I’ve also got another old lcd and a couple newer led tv’s... no issues.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:My 82” Samsung which is just a little over a year old all of a sudden has 1 Row and 1 Column of pixels out. Well crap. So who makes good TV’s these days?

yup, great tv's a few years back...….now pretty much crap.

#13 4 years ago

Went from Samsung plasma which I owned 4 of... to the Sony A8G the blacks are so crisp and vivid HDR quality in color.

#14 4 years ago

All I have owned in the past 15 years are Sony’s and I still have all of them. Just bought another 65” to move bring back from japan to the states.

#15 4 years ago

My vote is on LG.
    Colors are not so fake and way to bright as on Samsung tv's.
    Colors are natural and the black is really black.

#16 4 years ago

Decide on LED/QLED (inexpensive) or OLED first (picture quality, expensive). For the most part TVs are commodities will falling prices subsidized by the streaming aps on most sets today.

LG makes all the OLED panels for Sony, Panasonic (Europe) and of course LG sets so the difference is video processing (Sony generally seen as better than LG but I doubt most can see the difference). If you have ever had a plasma and want a new TV get an OLED. Period. Don’t even consider an LED. A 77” OLED is less than a Stern Pro.

An LED/QLED set is meh and is all about getting a TV dirt cheap or the largest screen you can at a lower cost. OK for casual use, but rarely set up properly and usually too bright. Samsung is still the leader in this area, despite your TV defect OP.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I think most people will recommend Samsung. If you go to a store and look at side by side picture quality with other brands you will see the Samsung difference. That’s how I ended up with a Samsung.

Why would they when Samsung doesn’t have the best screen technology? If money’s not an issue, everyone agrees OLED is the best.

#18 4 years ago

Can’t beat the Sony Trinitron.

#19 4 years ago

I own a TCL series 6. Recommended by my neighbor a AVS forum & home theatre guru. Went with cost over quality as I do not watch TV as much. So far it’s been a great TV. But the best brand...SONY the one and only..

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Why would they when Samsung doesn’t have the best screen technology? If money’s not an issue, everyone agrees OLED is the best.

There is usually always an exception if money isn’t an issue. That applies to just about everything in life.

#21 4 years ago

Lg oled.

#22 4 years ago

I should have been nicer about the TCL. It is a great TV... Only watch out is the dirty screen affect that some of them have.... they refer to panel lottery. But a great set. CNET loved it. And it definitely upscales better than the Vizio I got.

This website can help, or completely overload you.
    https://www.rtings.com/

#23 4 years ago

Sony Master Series for LED and OLED

Sony Trinitron XBR for Color CRT's

Admiral and DuMont for Large CRT B & W

Panasonic for small B & W CRT teevees

#24 4 years ago

Sony XBR...like all Sony products I’ve purchased they just seem to last. My Walkman still works from the 80’s.
    I have had problems with the last two Samsung’s I purchased. One I repaired a capacitor and got it working again and the other was a 4K 65” that the corners were pinched on multiple models.
    Good luck either way!

#25 4 years ago

Hard to beat the TCL 6 Series for the $. I have a Samsung Magnolia Series in my Living Room and it is very nice. In my winter home I did not want to spend as much and wanted Roku built in, so I bought a TCL 6 series with the aluminum frame. It was less than 1/2 of the cost of the Samsung and is as good, if not nicer, than the Samsung.

I really don't understand why anyone would spend $4-$10k for a TV when the difference in quality of picture is maybe 10% as compared to a "high end" cheaper brand. It's just TV and the technology changes about every 24 minutes.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

Sony products I’ve purchased they just seem to last

I agree, every Sony TV we have purchased has been great. I also like having the Sony Blu-Ray player that syncs up with the Sony Televisions. I usually purchase from Best Buy, they have always supported me with warranty issues, etc.

#27 4 years ago

If you can hold out, new models across the board start hitting the market in March or April and prices on existing models will fall.

That said, because of the better processor, I switched from LG OLED and went with the Sony OLED A9G. But I still can highly recommend LG OLED if you want to save a few bucks. Sony and others use the OLED screens from LG from what I understand.

#28 4 years ago

There's poor, good, and excellent TV's from a lot of companies now. Best bang for your buck? Like others have said check out the TCL 6 series, especially the latest QLED line. I purchased the TCL 55" QLED model below a couple months ago and it's a great TV. However, there's no doubt that the OLED TV in my living room produces a superior image, easily the best image on a TV I've never seen. If you don't mind spending a bit more I highly recommend an LG OLED TV.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Class-Dolby-Vision-Smart/dp/B07V5WY147/ref=sr_1_2

#29 4 years ago

LG Oled

#30 4 years ago

When you buy a big TV, make sure the credit card you use gives a warranty extension. My Mastercard adds two years to the factory warranty on items like this. Last year I had a Vizio TV fail when it was one month outside of warranty. I sent a picture of the screen to Vizio and they have an analyst who can determine what is wrong with the TV just from looking at screen pics. They sent me an email confirming that the issue was "not economically repairable". I forwarded that along with the original sales receipt over to my credit card and they refunded the full purchase price of the TV back to my card.

Also, when a TV or something big fails, don't forget to check to see if there is an extension. I would not have known about this if the people at Vizio had not suggested that I check.

Overall, I do like Vizio. My current 70 inch 4K Vizio looks awesome and costs less than $1000. For the most part Vizio seems to be a great combination of price, picture quality and reliability.

#31 4 years ago

My brand of choice is Samsung, and I've owned several of them over the years. My advise would be to go to an electronics store and look at a variety of brands (even if you don't buy the TV there). Pay attention to things like brilliance of the image, glare on the screen, how deep the blacks are, etc. Visually, you'll be able to determine the one or two you like best, then start your research on best models and pricing.

#32 4 years ago

Panasonic

#33 4 years ago

LG OLED is absolutely stunning!!!!!

#34 4 years ago

When I bought my Samsung new in 2007 or ‘08, I’d never seen a better picture. I don’t watch TV in many other places, but I still haven’t seen a better display. For that reason alone I would just get another Samsung when I buy my next TV.

However, the expensive refrigerator that I bought from them is such an unmitigated piece of crap that I probably won’t buy Samsung again. There’s a class action suit going regarding it, because Samsung knew full well about the problems (plural) but won’t make things right for their customers. Very dodgy company in my opinion.

So where do you guys buy your great TVs? Just Best Buy or Costco? Or his there a specialty place with good prices and customer service?

#35 4 years ago

TCL is a solid option for the $. I purchased a 65” yesterday and used a promo code of TCLDOLBY15 from BestBuy and received $120 off.
    Samsung and LG OLED are impressive but cost considerably more.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

When I bought my Samsung new in 2007 or ‘08, I’d never seen a better picture. I don’t watch TV in many other places, but I still haven’t seen a better display. For that reason alone I would just get another Samsung when I buy my next TV.
    However, the expensive refrigerator that I bought from them is such an unmitigated piece of crap that I probably won’t buy Samsung again. There’s a class action suit going regarding it, because Samsung knew full well about the problems (plural) but won’t make things right for their customers. Very dodgy company in my opinion.
    So where do you guys buy your great TVs? Just Best Buy or Costco? Or his there a specialty place with good prices and customer service?

as I said earlier, Samsung "was" great, now they are shit.

#37 4 years ago

I personally prefer Sony. And the 950G LED series should be a great bargain after the 2020s are released.

As much as I hate after market warranties, I always purchase a 5 year extended warranty with a large screen TV. I usually buy from Best Buy and purchase their warranty as what you described is not all that uncommon. After 5 years, the technology has generally advanced enough that if the screen fails, it gives you an excuse the buy the new one you wanted anyway.

#38 4 years ago

My opinion is that you should think of the size, location, and budget first.
    Unless you are rolling in dough, many times TVs that are last years best, or the year before, as well as new can be 90% as good as the best, at a fraction of the cost.
    Just plan on getting another in 3-5 years.
    Look at what you watch, how often and how the room lighting is.
    Some screens will do better if watching daytime with sunlight, others will do better with sporting events, 4K content. Are these programs you do watch..? Extended Warranty, if cost effective to total cost.
    In house service on the warranty, if the screen is large enough.
    Lastly, if it fits you, grab a new CC with a couple hundred dollars cash back on a large purchase, and save even more. I was floored this year and the quality and sizes available under $1000 over the Holidays.

#39 4 years ago

LG OLED is amazing unfortunately the cheap Taiwanese components (capacitors) on their boards are crap. I have gone through 2 LG OLED TVs. Both have had their main CPU boards replaced due to bad capacitors. Not a cheap repair. Will try to fix it myself the next time.

The new Sony OLED TVs are amazing and appear to be solid so far. I am going Sony next time. Research LG first. They make great screens but they have cheaped out now as well. Unfort7nately in recent years - lower prices have meant lower quality. I used to be a big fan of LG but not anymore. Newer LG has an amazing picture when they are working.

I miss the old Pioneer Plasma TVs. Good luck.

#40 4 years ago

I was a Sony XBR person for a long time. Like back to tube TV’s. I recently switched to Samsung QLED. They are amazing.

#41 4 years ago

Lg Oled hands down! I went a bit crazy the past year and bought Samsung's flagship 65" tv and later bought the newest Lg oled 65" Samsung has more b.s that i don't use like gesture control and cameras etc. But the picture quality is night and day compared to the quality of My LG Oled! What also blew me away was the price difference, I bought the LG for my room because it was a bit less expensive at around almost 5k the Samsung was around 9k and now my Samsung is in the room and the LG is Displayed proudly in the Media room.

#42 4 years ago

Don't forget that Best Buy will price match from any legitimate retailer. I recently bought some Powerbeats Pro earbuds and when I showed them on my phone a better price from Amazon, they matched it.

#43 4 years ago

LG Oled. Get a refurbished one through Amazon if the cost scares you. I got one through there, and another through woot. There's nothing that compares with that image quality. It even makes my Nintendo 64 over composite look good.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

I repaired a capacitor and got it working again

Let me guess... your TV was turning on and off all by itself...

I've replaced capacitors on two of my plasmas for phantom power issues. Cheap repair to keep the plasmas going another 10 years.

#45 4 years ago

have a 77" LG Oled, but sold my 65" ZT60 plasma.. if could do it again, would have kept the plasma until it died.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Sony Trinitron XBR for Color CRT's

I had an 32" XBR-squared, greatest thing ever. Motion activated light up control panel on the front!

Literally harder to move than a pinball machine.

#47 4 years ago

I’ve got Hitachi plasma, Panasonic plasma and Samsung plasma. Still work flawless.

Have recent Insignia 1080p (made by Samsung components) cheaper line, and most recently a new Samsung 4K LED. All great products.

I do have a TV problem though, I don’t believe I’ve thrown away any TVs that I have I’ve 3 Mitsubishi big screen TVs used for parts on video games. I still have a Mitsubishi 32 inch crt that works great I’ve got a Sony 32 inch XBR that works great with very few hours on it and I still have my 42 inch XBR which is actually now junk got a board issue thing weighs like a ton. My brother and I tried to move that into my house during the winter time just about fell would’ve been a disaster.
    As well as a nice Pioneer Elite 55” in the game building for movie viewing.

#48 4 years ago

Op went inactive. ?

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Op went inactive. ?

That Samsung must have gotten the best of him?

That said I paid $550 for my 65" Samsung still in the factory warranty so far so good.

Back in 2008 I paid $750 for my LG 32" still running like day one so I have to nod towards LG.

Problem is, things can change. I agree OLED will give you better picture but I personally don't want/need the best since I'm buying something that's already outdated the day I buy it. (4K purchase above and 8K already out)

#50 4 years ago

I hope to find another dumb tv, when I got shopping again. I’ve always been a fan of Sony, still have a crt that I use for gaming.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-which-brand-tv-is-best?hl=greenandwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.