(Topic ID: 259470)

So which brand tv is best?

By EricHadley

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16D5F86C-158D-4276-B264-9515942449A2 (resized).jpeg
    P1030882 (resized).JPG
    P1030867 (resized).JPG

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

My vote is on LG.
    Colors are not so fake and way to bright as on Samsung tv's.
    Colors are natural and the black is really black.

I agree. I buy nothing but LG. Never had a problem. Last big TV was a Sony. The sound was terrible. The thing would buzz constantly. I had to use the home theatre to watch anything.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I had an 32" XBR-squared, greatest thing ever. Motion activated light up control panel on the front!
    Literally harder to move than a pinball machine.

Had this tube also. 201 libs I believe. I moved it like 3 times then gave it away on my 4th move. Best tube ever made IMO.

#53 4 years ago

Its a shame they got rid of 3d, an LG OLED 2016 like the one I have has the best 3d I have ever seen. Saw Star Wars The Last Jedi last week on 3d, amazing. Something to see if you can still get one or have a friend that has a B6P, E6p, or G6p (2016 models)

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

You can never go wrong with Sony

The ones built in China or Mexico?

#55 4 years ago

LG OLED for the win...Samsung is QLED..different process, and (subjectively) not as good. MicroLED will be available soon (LG as well) which is a redefined method. RobDutch nails it....

#56 4 years ago

My TVs are sort of old, which is a brand testament. My 55" LG LED smart TV is probably 10+ years old. I also have 2 Sony Bravia 40" LEDs Smart TVs (that have PS3 built in!) that are both 5 years old, and have run flawlessly*

* The Smart Apps parts of both LG and Sony TVs are unreliable.. I only used a few like Netflix but got tired of them crashing and requiring a restart. In contrast, Roku is fast and stable... so no real issues there.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Had this tube also. 201 libs I believe. I moved it like 3 times then gave it away on my 4th move. Best tube ever made IMO.

This was it's last day. By the time it made it to the end of the stairs, the plastic shell completely disintegrated!

P1030867 (resized).JPGP1030867 (resized).JPGP1030882 (resized).JPGP1030882 (resized).JPG
    #58 4 years ago

If you are in Canada, never, ever pay sticker price on any TV. You can go into Visions and haggle a price far better than Best Buy will ever have. Also, if you subscribe to Visions email newsletter, you get 2 years additional warranty FREE.

I play some games so I stuck with LCD tech, but if it was viewing only then I would buy an OLED, probably Sony. I've had shitty warranty experience with LG, but I really liked their 3d. It was comfortable. The 3d with shutter glasses was NOT comfortable.

Rob

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

My 82” Samsung which is just a little over a year old all of a sudden has 1 Row and 1 Column of pixels out. Well crap. So who makes good TV’s these days?

Funny, I was coming on to trash my 75” Samsung. It works okay, but I hate it overall.

——-

Costco extends the manufacturers’ warranty by one year. So, my vote is to buy your TV at Costco.

Their concierge service helped me get a new TV after 19 months when I had an issue. They first set up a service call with an authorized tech, when they couldn’t repair correctly they replace it. All TVs extended to two years.

#60 4 years ago

Visions actually extends the warranty an extra year so 2 total not 2 additional. Same as Costco. Visions will give you the best price around and will even sell tv at cost to make the sale if you buy their 5 year warranty. They operate on volume.

#61 4 years ago

Best Buy only place that will warranty against burn in on oled with their extended warranty.

#62 4 years ago

This thread would be even better with a poll.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

This thread would be even better with a poll.

Yeah someone should have done a similar thread several weeks ago with a poll lol

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

LG OLED is the way to go. Screw plastic screens, get the all glass one. Nothing even comes close.

+1

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

That Samsung must have gotten the best of him?
    That said I paid $550 for my 65" Samsung still in the factory warranty so far so good.
    Back in 2008 I paid $750 for my LG 32" still running like day one so I have to nod towards LG.
    Problem is, things can change. I agree OLED will give you better picture but I personally don't want/need the best since I'm buying something that's already outdated the day I buy it. (4K purchase above and 8K already out)

Could be.

#66 4 years ago

You can’t go wrong with a Sony. They have the best color balance and for gaming among the lowest lag on the market.

#67 4 years ago

LG E series OLED. This glass makes all the difference. It is pretty wild that you can see through the bottom of the tv. Paired with a DefTech speaker bar, DefTech Atmos speakers, and all of the junk driving it in a basement closet so you can’t see it.

16D5F86C-158D-4276-B264-9515942449A2 (resized).jpeg16D5F86C-158D-4276-B264-9515942449A2 (resized).jpeg
    #68 4 years ago

Not sure if any TVs today are made to last. Aside from a bad run of capacitors a number of years ago (which has been solved) the fact that the EU required lead to be taken out of solder had the effect of making solder sometimes growing whiskers and shorting out.

My brother had the 40” XBR tube tv until he had to move and got rid of it. He loved the picture.

BTW Panasonic is about to release a new monitor for videophiles and pros alike call the 2000 where they beef up the power supply and cooling and claim 30% added brightness and contrast.

#69 4 years ago

OLED all day long. Sony or LG. Doesn’t matter. I own 5. 2 are in my office operatories and I get at least 5-6 people a day commenting on how beautiful the picture is.

#70 4 years ago

I do believe that LG makes Sony’s OLEDs.

If you are looking for the best picture the LG OLEDs are at the top of the pack. However, if you want to buy something over 65” be ready to trade in late model car for it.

#71 4 years ago

Which brand TV is the best? Pioneer.
    They do not produce anymore, but i have here some of them all in the house. 50 " is OK, with FireStick they are smart enough for me (Amzon prime, Netflix).
    Plasma is sooo good.
    I hope that these TVs here will run until my last day.
    Never seen a better picture on TVs.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Metengo:

Which brand TV is the best? Pioneer.
    They do not produce anymore, but i have here some of them all in the house. 50 " is OK, with FireStick they are smart enough for me (Amzon prime, Netflix).
    Plasma is sooo good.
    I hope that these TVs here will run until my last day.
    Never seen a better picture on TVs.

I loved my Panasonic plasma for more than 10 years, but was won over by 4K HDR OLED. First technology to really rival plasma for blacks, and the HDR is a big advance in picture quality (4K over 1080p doesn’t hurt either, but less of a big deal unless you’re talking monster screen sizes). If you’re happy as is no need to spend more money, but better picture quality is finally out there.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

4K HDR OLED. First technology to really rival plasma for blacks, and the HDR is a big advance in picture quality.

I heard that more than one time, maybe i give it a try when my Pioneers are gone. I remember the times, when LCD came out and it was such a less quality of colours and blackness compared to Plasma so i never wanted to trade the technology i had to what i saw over years.
    But now it seems that there is a step forward.

#74 4 years ago

Ask this question 50 years ago and the answer is “Magnavox”

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from Metengo:

I heard that more than one time, maybe i give it a try when my Pioneers are gone. I remember the times, when LCD came out and it was such a less quality of colours and blackness compared to Plasma so i never wanted to trade the technology i had to what i saw over years.
    But now it seems that there is a step forward.

Same here. I got a 42" Panasonic Plasma in 2006, before they were able to do 1080p on a screen that "small." Thought about trading it in for a 1080p LED over the years to take advantage of full HD, but I could just never get excited about those washed out LED blacks.

But OLED is the real deal, and HDR really is next-level on the color front. So if and when you decide to get a new TV, you won't have to sacrifice quality. And I have to think that more companies will eventually get in on the OLED game and push prices down, there's no way LG just corners the market on that kind of technology forever.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Ask this question 75 years ago and the answer is "What's a TV?"

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Zenith with Space Command was pretty good. Of course Sony came along and started dumping better picture Trinitrons about that time. The teevee Lobby got the government to institute a $75.00 Import surcharge to curb the influx. The result? Sylvania, Motorola, Magnavox, Admiral, Philco, Zenith and the rest jacked up their teevee prices by $75.00 marking the beginning of the end.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

And I have to think that more companies will eventually get in on the OLED game and push prices down

MicroLED hopefully will be available in the consumer space at mass-market pricing in the next few years, eliminating the OLED burn-in issue.

Whatever display tech you're using, be sure to check out the Clemson-LSU game tonight in glorious 4K (assuming you have Comcast, Optimum or DirecTV.) Unlike Fox's Thursday night NFL games (which were shot in HD and upscaled to 4K) this will be a true 4K (though not HDR) production. The weekly college football 4K broadcasts this year were absolutely stunning.

#79 4 years ago

If your in the market like right now... like today.. I would just buy the Sony A9G OLED which won the most recent U.S. TV shootout, Tesla shares 520! Gotta go!

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

MicroLED hopefully will be available in the consumer space at mass-market pricing in the next few years, eliminating the OLED burn-in issue.

I just read up on MicroLED, sounds like it's supposed to combine the perfect black levels of OLED with the bright brights of LED. I think the burn-in concerns are largely hype, never an issue for me with my OLED or my plasma before it despite many hours playing video games with a static HUD. But I know it's still a concern for some. Hopefully they can work out the manufacturing issues, sounds like for the time being MicroLED is even harder to make than OLED (and therefore will be even more expensive).

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I just read up on MicroLED, sounds like it's supposed to combine the perfect black levels of OLED with the bright brights of LED. I think the burn-in concerns are largely hype, never an issue for me with my OLED or my plasma before it despite many hours playing video games with a static HUD. But I know it's still a concern for some. Hopefully they can work out the manufacturing issues, sounds like for the time being MicroLED is even harder to make than OLED (and therefore will be even more expensive).

Got to see one last year at Infocomm...I'm sure again this June...supposedly approaches cinematic grade blacks...I couldn't stop staring at it...certainly won't be cheap initially, but stunning.....

#82 4 years ago

LG. I owned almost every brand of tv possible in my life. LG and I don't look back

#83 4 years ago

I like Sony because it is Android based. I missed a few episodes of a show, downloaded the networks app from the google store, and watched it right on the TV. Can put on Disney+, DC Universe, Twitch, or any other streaming service right on the TV. My LG doesn’t do Hulu anymore, but it use to.

#84 4 years ago

Sony OLED A9G Master Series provides pretty stunning pictures. We have at 65" version installed in a Master bedroom (although Sony just announced the A9H at CES).

As mentioned above, Panasonic plasmas still rock. I have a 65" VT60 that still does an incredible job. I've been debating replacing it with a 77" LG OLED as their prices continue to drop. Check out greentoe.com for deals from authorized dealers.

LG has the easiest GUI of any TV. I hate Sony's Android OS, but it's all personal preference. I picked up a LG c9 OLED for my parents due to the pointy magic remote thingie that is easy for them to use. Large icons and click and that's pretty much it for LG's. Sony's OS gives much more detail and control, but it's a PIA.

#85 4 years ago

Sony IMO is still the best with LG a very close second. Everything else is complete garbage....Samsung too!

Sharp electronics use to supply all the components for Samsung TV's and many other brands (Toshiba, Sharp, Panasonic and more) until Sharp a few years ago bailed out of the TV market. Now HiSense purchased the rest of Sharp's TV line and all your Televisions with the exception of Sony & LG are all made using HiSense components....they are complete JUNK!

If your not buying an LG or Sony then don't buy a TV because you will have it less than 2 years!

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

LG. I owned almost every brand of tv possible in my life. LG and I don't look back

Being from Canada I'll venture you had a few Electrohome's, eh?

#87 4 years ago

I think my next TV will be an LG. Was a huge Samsung fan since they do have very good panels but as a whole I don't like mine. The delay in issuing commands i.e. using Netflix, HBO GO, Spotify, Amazon video etc. can range from acceptable to throw it out the window. For a couple months it went on the fritz and needed to be unplugged from the power every other week. Only need to do that occasionally now.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Panasonic plasma. Yep seriously.

I mean seriously. I've had mine since I was 17, and it's still going strong with an amazing picture.

We've had a Vizio M series upstairs for about 4 years. Just now there are some sections of the LED backlighting going out. Won't be getting another one of those. Plus the built in features are crap, but those were the days before Android TV. Nothing a Firestick can't fix though.

#89 4 years ago

Still using my 50' Pioneer Plasma, and love it.

#90 4 years ago

LG has been very good to me.

1 month later
    #91 4 years ago

Just had an LED back light strip die in my Vizio E70. This was my third Vizio 70 TV to die or have a failure in less than 5 years. The first two were not repairable and replaced under warranty. This one lasted the longest at 2.5 years.
    I ordered a complete replacement set of LED strips along with the driver board and will attempt the repair myself. Hopefully I'll with the new strips l get a few more years out this one at which point I will not be buying another Vizio.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I think the burn-in concerns are largely hype, never an issue for me with my OLED or my plasma before it despite many hours playing video games with a static HUD

Let my wife borrow it and you'll have the ID Discovery logo burned into the screen. This is on the last Panasonic ever produced. I purchased their final model in December the year they killed plasma. That was a sad day.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-which-brand-tv-is-best/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.