(Topic ID: 67246)

So, what kind of complaints will MMR bring about?

By Taxman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Seriously. Every time even a playfield is released for older games people complain. A color is wrong or a line is not in the same place.

I think the same thing that almost always happens will. The people spending the $8K will defend it forever (or until sold). The people who can't justify the expense will say they have always hated it anyway and make fun of every problem that pops up.

The only happy people will be the ones who actually play pinball since now more will be available to play. There just seems to be less of them these days.

#2 10 years ago

Never a bad thing when you are able to play a great game....now more likely

#3 10 years ago

I imagine the top concern will be overall reliability.

The old ones have some well documented issues (e.g. GI connectors burning etc, heat being generated by some board components) BUT how reliable is the new OS and boards... especially under the playfield?

It looked like the driver board is attached to the bottom of the playfield? That is madness on the surface (though I understand it would cut down on wiring) but the obvious concerns are vibration damage and magic black pinball dust wrecking the electronics.

Are there ways to prevent this? Sure! Will whatever they have up their sleeve work? I guess we'll find out...

#4 10 years ago

Please see all 78 other threads on this for amswers

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Please see all 78 other threads on this for amswers

Honestly I have not seen anything in detail on the playfield mounted boards, just the same old blurry proto pics.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I imagine the top concern will be overall reliability.
The old ones have some well documented issues (e.g. GI connectors burning etc, heat being generated by some board components) BUT how reliable is the new OS and boards... especially under the playfield?
It looked like the driver board is attached to the bottom of the playfield? That is madness on the surface (though I understand it would cut down on wiring) but the obvious concerns are vibration damage and magic black pinball dust wrecking the electronics.
Are there ways to prevent this? Sure! Will whatever they have up their sleeve work? I guess we'll find out...

I hope the length of the wire is not a reason for mounting under. I just hope it moves out of the way easy for repairs.

#7 10 years ago

In a few months there will 2 MM pinball machines, on the Top 100 Listing. There will have to be a posting on the following subject. 'How to Spot the Differences Between the 2 MM Machines'.

#8 10 years ago

All kinds of complaints, most of them trivial

#9 10 years ago

Got to be a good thing for the pinball playing world,but I can see why investors looking to make a profit would be upset but that is their problem,anything you buy for profit is speculation nothing is a guaranteed investment.And pinball machines were made to be played!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

In a few months there will 2 MM pinball machines, on the Top 100 Listing. There will have to be a posting on the following subject. 'How to Spot the Differences Between the 2 MM Machines'.

Open the backbox. If there is one, small main board it's an MMR. Done.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Open the backbox. If there is one, small main board it's an MMR. Done.

the williams name will not appear anywhere on the machine.

#12 10 years ago

"A few months"? I think if you're expecting to have a MMR in a few months, you might start complaining now.

- Don

Quoted from Darcy:

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I hope the length of the wire is not a reason for mounting under.

Ding ding ding. Wire harness is a lot of work and cost. Look at all the connectors, crimping, and soldering etc that is needed for wire harnesses.

#14 10 years ago

I always wanted a MM but now there are too many of them.

#15 10 years ago

Is it ColorDMD compatible?

#16 10 years ago

I just hope we can install a color dmd.

#17 10 years ago

Jinx!!! :0

#18 10 years ago

Spooky.....

#19 10 years ago

It takes a little bit of what makes collecting pins and seeing their values go up just disappear in my opinion.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from sfish:

It takes a little bit of what makes collecting pins and seeing their values go up just disappear in my opinion.

That should have nothing to do with the hobby IMO. Or not enough for it to matter, you were collecting these games to keep right?

Like stocks as Warren Buffet would say, may as well hope they are cheaper tomorrow if you were planning on buying more of them anyways

#21 10 years ago

I don't like the stereo sound and I can see dimples on my playfield

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from SDTM:

Ding ding ding. Wire harness is a lot of work and cost. Look at all the connectors, crimping, and soldering etc that is needed for wire harnesses.

You will need the same amount of connectors and soldering it the board in under the playfield, in the head or in the next room, The only difference would be the length of the wire.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Honestly I have not seen anything in detail on the playfield mounted boards, just the same old blurry proto pics.

http://www.pinballnews.com/news/churchill.html

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I don't like the stereo sound and I can see dimples on my playfield

I don't think anyone would hate stereo sound, if is was in stereo. Don't see why it would be.

Dimpling I can see a bit, but if you swapped for a new one these days you risk the same issue. But with a new game it is the first time for a color. When doing a repro you are trying to match, much more difficult.

Also the Williams logo. Are people going to be swapping any item with a logo to be "more" original?

#25 10 years ago

Even more Medieval Madness threads!

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Even more Medieval Madness threads!
YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

And you not just felt the need to open it, but to comment on it.

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

#27 10 years ago

Dehydrated from vomiting now. Think I have midevil madness syndrome.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Also the Williams logo. Are people going to be swapping any item with a logo to be "more" original?

Some will, some won't.

The gold trim, stereo sound and LCD screen will give it away, logo or not.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Some will, some won't.
The gold trim, stereo sound and LCD screen will give it away, logo or not.

Wait, you were being serious about not liking the stereo sound? I thought the first post was sarcasm...

#30 10 years ago

Stern doesn't finish code on their games yet wants to charge just as much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.99
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-what-kind-of-complaints-will-mmr-bring-about and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.