Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by ChipScott
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

403c19ccfe6bbc44776386b3712445c0cd2828b2.gif

#1 6 months ago

What I mean is, where do you (if you at all) put blinking bulbs?

I seem to recall reading that Gottlieb's would use the blinking bulb for Game Over, but as I am round out overhauing my herd, I see a lot of pins that have the blinking bulbs for the title, and I'm starting to think that it is a good way to show some excitement to the game without harming the important use of a bulb to signify some machine state (e.g., like Game Over). I had always removed the blinking lamps, but I think it might be good to do it this way - with the exception being a title like Dixieland that uses its title as part of the machine-state interface.

#2 6 months ago

Gottlieb put blinking bulbs in the GAME OVER
    if you trace the wiring, there may be other sockets that also get turned on during game over, CARD WHIZZ the magicians spark, ABRA CA DABRA the demons eyes, FAST DRAW behind the mussel flash
    you can either trace the wires or notice that the socket is different

#3 6 months ago

Sometimes manufacturers used blinkers in the game title or elsewhere on the glass but they just blinked all the time, BH's spinning disc for example but also in some EMs too. I usually relied on what the game already had in it when I got it to figure where they were supposed to go.

#4 6 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Sometimes manufacturers used blinkers in the game title or elsewhere on the glass but they just blinked all the time, BH's spinning disc for example but also in some EMs too. I usually relied on what the game already had in it when I got it to figure where they were supposed to go.

I'm not interested in what is stock, just what folks do as a rule.

#5 6 months ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

Well the good part is, there are no rules. You can do whatever you want.

As for me, I am very judicious in their use. I will put one or two in the title if I can, and if it enhances the look instead of detracts. I’ll put them in classic SS Bally and Stern games. Again, you have to go by the position and the Backglass. If you put it in the wrong spot, it will look goofy, but blinking in the title (not every bulb) can give it a modern attract mode feel.

And of course, hen you do it, have spares handy. Because they will burn out faster than regular bulbs.

#6 6 months ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Well the good part is, there are no rules. You can do whatever you want.
    As for me, I am very judicious in their use. I will put one or two in the title if I can, and if it enhances the look instead of detracts.

1) Myself I have gone to blinking LEDs.

2) Depends on location. Some EM had blinkers stock and I tend to put blinkers there. For example Melody has them in the music store sign which lights up when the game is over.

3) Time to time I will add them to a game over location to add some animation to a backglass.

4) Add them to a "shoot again" insert (mostly applies to EM titles)

#7 6 months ago

Blinking bulbs do help to enhance cleavage in backglasses.

#8 6 months ago

I have them in locations where the manufacturer intended due to the dished out wood around the socket. On EMs I don't think I put them in anywhere else. My Subway came with a blinking bulb in the game over socket. Whether that's factory or not I don't know.

On my SS games they are where it's documented in the manual. That said, I do have two SS games I added blinking bulbs to. Meteor I added one 455 behind each of the rocket flames. On Dirty Harry one 545 behind the lights on the Golden Gate bridge.

#9 6 months ago

On my Pit Stop, I put a blinker under the SAME PLAYER SHOOTS insert.

#10 6 months ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I have them in locations where the manufacturer intended due to the dished out wood around the socket.

Yes, I've noticed this on Williams Apollo - on the title, like I had proposed.

#11 6 months ago

In my Harlem, I have them behind the basketballs, so they blink. I have the volcano eruption blinking on Jungle Queen. I'm out of blinking LEDs, but will be putting some in Old Chicago as well.

#12 6 months ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

That is what I do as a rule.

#13 6 months ago

I put blinkers in my EM's behind game titles. I use 455's, not LED's- They have a better randomness of blink to them.

#14 6 months ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

As a rule, I bulb them as Stock.

Bally EM's:
    Score reels: 55's
    Game title: 455's
    Everything else: 44's

Williams EM's:
    Game title: 455's

Gottlieb EM's:
    Game Over lamp: 455

#15 6 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

As a rule, I bulb them as Stock.
    Bally EM's:
    Williams EM's:

I know 55s were used much more in the really old EM days but didn't they just go with 44s later on? 55s are awful damn hot. I don't have any more Bally or Williams 60s or 70s EMs, I honestly can't remember what they had there. But 55s, ouch!

#16 6 months ago

The only game i installed blinkers is Stars, just a couple in the backglass to make some of the stars "twinkle". I would consider perhaps putting a few in the backglass of my Black Hole too, come to think of it...

#17 6 months ago

I like animated back boxes, always liked how Addams, and taxi was done. Upon changing out some bulbs to led’s on my taxi, noticed a set of bulbs directly behind Marilyn’s set. Needless to say, it was a great spot for a pair of blinker bulbs

#18 6 months ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

I like animated back boxes, always liked how Addams, and taxi was done. Upon changing out some bulbs to led’s on my taxi, noticed a set of bulbs directly behind Marilyn’s set. Needless to say, it was a great spot for a pair of blinker bulbs

Data East Playboy has flashers there.

#19 6 months ago

No rule to what I do. Just where I think they look good. Usually in the name. But for games like Meteor I put them in the rocket fire and not the name. It just depends on what I think looks the best.

#20 6 months ago
    Quoted from frunch:

The only game i installed blinkers is Stars, just a couple in the backglass to make some of the stars "twinkle". I would consider perhaps putting a few in the backglass of my Black Hole too, come to think of it...

Factory used them behind the spinning disc, it's a really nice effect, like there is who-knows-what going on inside that monster.

#21 6 months ago

I use anywhere there's flames, the fire bulb from comet is awesome there. Also under the eyeballs on metallicas return lane

#22 6 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Factory used them behind the spinning disc, it's a really nice effect, like there is who-knows-what going on inside that monster.

I had one at one time and perhaps will again. They are not that bad to work on, just a lot of moving parts.

403c19ccfe6bbc44776386b3712445c0cd2828b2.gif

#23 6 months ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I use anywhere there's flames, the fire bulb from comet is awesome there.

I use a fire bulb in the backglass of DE-JP directly behind the fire on the right hand lower side.

#24 6 months ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I use anywhere there's flames, the fire bulb from comet is awesome there. Also under the eyeballs on metallicas return lane

I had a few sprinkled behind the back glass on meteor when I had it, looked awesome imo

#25 6 months ago

Years ago I wired up several of those flickery tea candle LEDs and a resistor together and temped them in behind the kerosene lantern on the bg of my EBD but that was a mod. Now those fire bulbs are available so I should pop one in there instead, a 555 socket is right behind it. If they make 555 fire lamps?

#26 6 months ago

And of course, they need to be under Mata Hari's bewbs. Because... bewbs.

#27 6 months ago

The plexi playing card topper on Data East Maverick is not even illuminated. I used a 44 bulb socket bracket and put a single blinking warm white bulb behind each card. A nice effect without having to make circuit boards.

#28 6 months ago

I've liked to put them in the back box behind the title of the game. I usually have done this for some EMs and earlier solid states. I think it adds a nice visual aspect to the backglass display. I have had good success using Comets LED blinkers. While they don't always have them in stock, they do make both fast and slow blinkers, I usually like to do a mixture of both. It adds some variability to the blinking which is fun. As it relates to blinkers, Comet also offers some "fire" bulbs which sort of act in a similar fashion. I have done this behind some areas that represent flames/fire on various SS titles (Meteor, Blackout, etc.)

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside