(Topic ID: 295630)

So what is the current situation with backglass reproductions?

By swampwiz

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A68FC126-8F56-4203-A22E-A61979F74CDE (resized).jpeg
    FCC6A4AD-922A-40FE-B116-C09B0B99D691 (resized).jpeg
    A8764879-EDE4-4676-84B1-A7AF6A1CE4B9 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I've got a few titles that could use a repro backglass, and was wondering about this. AIUI, there is BGResto, but I've heard mixed messages about the quality (not that the artwork isn't perfect, just that the application of ink/paint is not quite like stock). And yes, I know that Classic Playfields do a few, but they currently don't list the titles that I need.

#2 2 years ago

Silkscreen is still the undisputed king.

Digital print looks terrible when unlit, but ok when the game is on.

#3 2 years ago

Not sure what glasses you're looking for, but Shay and Ron Webb do phenomenal work.

http://shayarcadegroup.com/backglasses/

http://pinballglass.homestead.com/

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Not sure what glasses you're looking for, but Shay and Ron Webb do phenomenal work.
    http://shayarcadegroup.com/backglasses/
    http://pinballglass.homestead.com/

I mean for titles that the silkscreen reproductionists don't do. Sure, such a silkscreen is perfect.

#5 2 years ago

Tough situation. Order from BG Resto, who offers many Titles and wait.
    Post a wanted Ad here.
    Use colored paper stock from Hobby Lobby and Theatre Gel material to make the one you have close to tolerable.

#6 2 years ago

Hi,

You should visit: https://www.instagram.com/cooshakvoort/?hl=fr
    I personnaly bought him 2 BGs... Bright colors even unlite

#7 2 years ago

For those of us who don't instagram: https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/Backglasses.html

#8 2 years ago

Very nice, thanks for the links.. wasnt sure how many pinheads look at pins on instagram!

1 week later
    #9 2 years ago

Is the issue with BGresto the areas that should be blanked out aren't dark enough? or is the whole thing too dark? I'm looking to order a Darling and Red Baron from him soon. He does offer discounts and combined shipping cost with multiples which is nice. I just wish his site showed actual photos of the backglasses installed and lit.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Is the issue with BGresto the areas that should be blanked out aren't dark enough? or is the whole thing too dark? I'm looking to order a Darling and Red Baron from him soon. He does offer discounts and combined shipping cost with multiples which is nice. I just wish his site showed actual photos of the backglasses installed and lit.

Colors are way off, glass is really dark and needs really bright lights, you will get zero communication except when he's trying to get your money then will not respond at all until 8 weeks later you'll just get a package.
    If you post in here complaining then a bunch of people will yell at you that he's this treasure to the hobby and your expectations of greater than zero communication and accurate colors is just bat shit crazy. But alas YMMV.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Colors are way off, glass is really dark and needs really bright lights, you will get zero communication except when he's trying to get your money then will not respond at all until 8 weeks later you'll just get a package.
    If you post in here complaining then a bunch of people will yell at you that he's this treasure to the hobby and your expectations of greater than zero communication and accurate colors is just bat shit crazy. But alas YMMV.

What we need is a collection of comparison photos in lit and unlit. Things take time so the delay isn’t too big of a deal if the end product is good but if colors are wrong and the lit glow isn’t right then that’s something else.

Anyone with a BGresto glass post up your photos lit and unlit.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

8 weeks? try 5-6 months

#13 2 years ago

FCC6A4AD-922A-40FE-B116-C09B0B99D691 (resized).jpegFCC6A4AD-922A-40FE-B116-C09B0B99D691 (resized).jpegA8764879-EDE4-4676-84B1-A7AF6A1CE4B9 (resized).jpegA8764879-EDE4-4676-84B1-A7AF6A1CE4B9 (resized).jpegA68FC126-8F56-4203-A22E-A61979F74CDE (resized).jpegA68FC126-8F56-4203-A22E-A61979F74CDE (resized).jpeg
    #14 2 years ago

That’s not my machine but it’s at my house. The Backglass came as an extra with the machine so we did not do business with BGresto directly so cannot speak on their turnaround time.

#15 2 years ago

What we need is a collection of comparison photos in lit and unlit. Things take time so the delay isn’t too big of a deal if the end product is good but if colors are wrong and the lit glow isn’t right then that’s something else.

This is the side by side original vs. BGRestro I did a 4-5 years ago. The colors were not *perfect* but very very close un-lit considering the original was 50 years old. Back lit, yes the colors were a little washed out with #47 bulbs. With todays selection of warm LED's, results should be better.

http://bgresto.com/?page_id=801

#16 2 years ago

I'm happy with bgresto. I ordered the prototype backglass for Grand Lizard. It is a little dark, but much better than no backglass at all.

#17 2 years ago

Thanks for the photos, keep them coming.

Its making me feel a bit better about the possibility of dropping $600+ for two bgresto glasses...

That Picnic looks pretty good, even lit. Is that lit with LEDs or incans?

kevmad , do you have some photos of yours?

#18 2 years ago

So I have this 'friend' who has made some pretty good translites before (IMO), if he, or she, wanted to approach the IP owners to make licensed products, anyone know who to approach? Would that be something of interest to the pin community?

#19 2 years ago

I wouldn't mind trying to make my own reproduction. Anyone have experience with direct to glass printing? Not sure what the best technical approach is to making a glass (other than screen printing).

#20 2 years ago

Is that lit with LEDs or incans?

44's likely from the factory.

#21 2 years ago

Tagging this as I'm probably going to need a resto on a backglass in the nearish future.

#22 2 years ago

I may be looking for a Night Rider EM backglass in the near future: my current BG is from a rescued game and has a giant crack with flaking paint (and mildew spots) across it. But I didn't realize the digital / BG Resto process was so questionable, and it looks like CPR only offers the Solid State version of Night Rider. Anybody have any leads or ideas on this? (heck, even an imperfect original in better shape might suffice. And BTW, during the resurrection process I've made new / alternate targets and "odometer" style reels for this game, if anyone is interested).

#23 2 years ago

I purchased a BGResto Heatwave glass and it was fantastic. I just ordered a Bally Time Zone glass so, we will see how this glass compares.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from TwinDavid:

I purchased a BGResto Heatwave glass and it was fantastic. I just ordered a Bally Time Zone glass so, we will see how this glass compares.

Shay has screened Heat Wave glass …. No complaints on it from me, a beauty.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-what-is-the-current-state-of-the-art-with-backglass-reproductions?hl=jjga and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.