Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbaumle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

492ED941-AFA6-4C79-834C-95D4E2CD6CD8.jpeg
    4AD241FC-873D-4C4B-A0A0-9E906443BCF9.jpeg
    IMG_20220216_110430 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220216_110403 (resized).jpg
    E97FD2B0-E14B-49B8-AC30-769CF79D54D3 (resized).jpeg
    IT Bonus (resized).jpg
    740EFBC8-5B22-4C1F-B52E-FD916EC2D1D9 (resized).jpeg
    c72f1fabeb0bc2138fa936a6c95638aaaacf5b2a (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 2 years ago

Had a TAF, traded it for a TZ.

TAF has all the same Lawlor design tropes that were used in Funhouse and Whirlwind. Seriously, compare the layouts. To me, it was just more of the same.

TZ is just… different. Shots feel unique, risks were taken, it has loads of clever rules, and there’s literally nothing else like it out there.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But it basically broke instantly, repeatedly. It didn't make money. It flopped on location. It was always broken.

I like how Lawlor even begrudgingly admits this in interviews today.

TZ was trash back in the day. Too complex. Too hard to maintain. Too hard for players to understand. My dad, who absolutely LOVES TAF, HATES my TZ. “I need a PhD to understand this thing. What do I even do? What’s with this white ball?” He laments.

Despite all this. I think it’s terrific. It’s like a love letter to enthusiasts.

#56 2 years ago

I really wish the powerball was utilized just a little more. The second it's given to the player, the game wants it back. Why not let the player do a little more with it? I always thought there should be another qualification shot to re-light the gumball machine to lock it back up to before starting powerball mania.

I do think it's super clever how the game doubles a jackpot made with the powerball, since it can't be caught by the left spiral helper.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

The 90s games hit a sweetspot to me

Same here.

To add, pinball playing isn’t just about “me” either. It’s about playing with others. When playing with friends and family, trying to explain the rules on a modern Stern game is crazy. I even struggle sometimes.

The more my collection matures, the more I value fast, simple, easy to understand rules. Games I can share with my casually playing friends and we all understand the rules enough to be able to make calculated shots in the game.

#92 2 years ago

Here’s mine.

Freshly swapped playfield, all incandescent bulbs and flashers. New cabinet decals, and backglass. Only mods are gum balls, added flashers under the “gum” and “ball” inserts, and of course, the coup de grâce: the elusive 3rd magnet.

492ED941-AFA6-4C79-834C-95D4E2CD6CD8.jpeg492ED941-AFA6-4C79-834C-95D4E2CD6CD8.jpeg4AD241FC-873D-4C4B-A0A0-9E906443BCF9.jpeg4AD241FC-873D-4C4B-A0A0-9E906443BCF9.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-what-happened-what-are-your-thoughts-taf-tz?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.